Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southampton

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
Back in pre season training already, fair play to them trying to hit the ground running perhaps the kind of attitude we should have.

Comments

• Options
    Or they suffer burn out by February?! I think going back early July is fine.
  • Options
    Like Hull last season.

Went back a month early and was fecked by the begining of the year!
  • Options
    Maybe a good opportunity to look at the players, it doesn't have to be full on slave driving, perhaps the reason for Hull's alarming slump?

Would be nice if we weren't so much in limbo and that we had a plan. Uncertainty over who we can afford, who the manager will be/is, is not ideal. Above all, if it helps a team find a consistent and trusted 1st XI, rather than tinkering in every game from the start of the season, I can see merit in this.
  • Options
    I don't think burn out affected Hull, i think they just got found out for being a one dimensional side who aren't actually that good.
  • Options
    Trained athletes should not burn out.

Other sports train 365 days a year dont see them burn out or whinge
  • Options
    Have you ever trained at full time intensity? I tried it once for just under 3 months, training high intensity in the mornings and lower in the afternoons. I felt amazing after the first two weeks, but then slowly all you're doing is carrying constant niggling injuries. Some people cope with it better than others, but nearly everyone's body fatigues. Clearly I was never a top level sportsman, but the training I undertook was more intense than most lower league pro footballers. Out of the thirty to forty very fit people I trained with ony one or two appeared to not suffer from varying intensity problems and energy.

Virtually no high intensity sport play 365 days a year. In Grand Tour cycling, the most exhausting of all major pro sports, they have an extended off season and don't generally race early classics. In American sports there is a long break and large rosters. The intensity of modern English football, means there's little time for body recuperation. It's a miracle top level footballers don't fade more, but they're probably all doped anyway.

Good luck to Soton, but irregardles of their financial position I fear for them. They lack even more bite than ourselves. Us without a few strong, hardened pros should be able to hover around the play offs. Soton had more talented youngsters than us, but even less presence. The pressure they're under this season isn't going to help their talented but lightweight team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Trained athletes should not burn out.

Other sports train 365 days a year dont see them burn out or whinge
    Exactly you also don't see them on a stupid amount of money each week
  • Options
    what's money got to do with whether they suffer from burnout?

with all the science in football these days, surely if it was helpful to train all year round then clubs would? as it is players get individually designed training programmes to follow in the off-season to kep them in shape.

ac milan's fitness training is designed so they'll peak in february onwards ready for the champions league.
  • Options
    You're right BB. Over-training and playing has ended a lot of young players careers. The likes of Michael Owen might well have benefited from being rested more when he was younger, but Houlier would make him play 90 minutes in the Coca Cola cup against Grimsby when they were 3-0 up. It doesn't make sense that they're ALL slacking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]what's money got to do with whether they suffer from burnout?

with all the science in football these days, surely if it was helpful to train all year round then clubs would? as it is players get individually designed training programmes to follow in the off-season to kep them in shape.

ac milan's fitness training is designed so they'll peak in february onwards ready for the champions league.

Man Utd often start a season slowly but it's the 2nd half of the season when they up a gear - and sustain it as other clubs fade away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The thing that makes me laugh is when you hear managers like Fergie and Benitez moaning about how there's too many games at the top level, but then they fly half way across the world for pre-season friendlies in 3 or 4 different countries!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]The thing that makes me laugh is when you hear managers like Fergie and Benitez moaning about how there's too many games at the top level, but then they fly half way across the world for pre-season friendlies in 3 or 4 different countries!

I doubt if Fergie has much say in this regard though. It's all about selling merchandise in the far East/USA/South Africa. I'm sure the money men decide that one.
  • Options
    They are probably not back in training, they're just back to help with the admin, sweep the floors and generally try and stop the company from going bust.

Either that or they want to make sure their pay cheques go through...
  • Options
    Has the Pinnacle takeover happened yet? There must be a deadline by which time they cannot fulfill their fixtures
  • Options
    SKy Sports News says that the players and staff didn't get paid this month. The league have to make a decision either way soon, surely.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]You're right BB. Over-training and playing has ended a lot of young players careers. The likes of Michael Owen might well have benefited from being rested more when he was younger, but Houlier would make him play 90 minutes in the Coca Cola cup against Grimsby when they were 3-0 up. It doesn't make sense that they're ALL slacking.

Too right.

I remember people moaning that Curbs didn't play the youngsters enough but the youngsters he did introduce nearly all lasted.

Curbs always said that if you play too much in your teens when you are still growing the chances are you will be finished by your mid, late twenties.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simon E[/cite]SKy Sports News says that the players and staff didn't get paid this month. The league have to make a decision either way soon, surely.

isn't the dispute because pinnacle and le tiss won't give assurances that they are not going to appeal the 10 point penalty. the league made leeds agree a similar deal when ken bates took over. the administrators are talking to other interested parties now apparently.
  • Options
    Is this the same Pinnacle that sponsor Forest?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Simon E[/cite]SKy Sports News says that the players and staff didn't get paid this month. The league have to make a decision either way soon, surely.

isn't the dispute because pinnacle and le tiss won't give assurances that they are not going to appeal the 10 point penalty. the league made leeds agree a similar deal when ken bates took over. the administrators are talking to other interested parties now apparently.

I read something similar but didn't quite understand this. Surely Southampton would have to appeal to the league? If so then why don't the league agree to the takeover and then say you can appeal if you like but you've got no chance of winning.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i think they want to stop them appealing in the courts who i suppose could in theory overturn the FA's decision. even if the decision isn't overturned then all the appeals could drag on into the new season. maybe they could appeal to the court of arbitration for sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2009
    it just said on the radio that le tissier and pinnacle have withdrawn from buying southampton. not found it on any website yet though.

edit: link
  • Options
    tis true.

A Swiss consortium now thought to be front runners
  • Options
    I wish our takeover was all in the press like this - we'd all be so much happier.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]it just said on the radio that le tissier and pinnacle have withdrawn from buying southampton. not found it on any website yet though.

edit:link
    They're coming for us!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I wish our takeover was all in the press like this - we'd all be so much happier.

So true.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I wish our takeover was all in the press like this - we'd all be so much happier.

Takeover????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]it just said on the radio that le tissier and pinnacle have withdrawn from buying southampton. not found it on any website yet though.

edit:link
    They're coming for us!

There coming take me away ha ha he he..to the funny farm....
  • Options
    From today's Fiver:

Quick, somebody call Celine Dion! Because the city from which the Titanic set sail is on the brink of another disaster. Earnest warbling may not help Southampton FC survive, of course, but it seems to be the Saints' last hope now that the consortium fronted by the club's habitual saviour, Matt Le Tissier, has aborted its rescue operation.

"It is with great regret and frustration due to ongoing issues with the Football League that I and in turn those behind the Pinnacle consortium decided to withdraw our interest in purchasing Southampton Football Club," sobbed Le Tiss today. "With the ongoing issues with the Football League persisting, our backers have simply refused to provide the requisite funds to complete the takeover."

What those issues are has not been disclosed - but the 10-point deficit the club is due to start on next season is unlikely to have helped. And now starting next season at all seems a pipe dream given that last week administrator Mark Fry warned he'd begin winding the club up if no buyers were found by Friday. Last season's top scorer David McGoldrick has already been flogged to Nottingham Forest to help pay staff wages and disintegration will gain pace tomorrow when the contracts of manager Mark Wotte, his coaches, and several key players expire, leaving a handful of worn cones to take charge of pre-season training.

Can it really be so? Can this really be the end of a club that won the 1976 FA Cup while in Division Two and once fielded six England captains simultaneously? Will no fame-hungry gazillionaire step in to save a side whose 6-3 rogering of Manchester United drew one of the most laughable excuses of all time from Sir Alex Ferguson? A team that over the years has done its utmost to prove that bald men can be heroes too and even gave the great David Armstrong a testimonial at the age of 25, possibly because they thought he was 40. A team that has always had the vision and balls to give a chance to outsiders or unknowns - from Agustin Delgado to Sir Clive Woodward and, lest we forget, Alia Dia. Where's the love? The gratitude?
  • Options
    Much as I hate to see any football club potentially disappear (unless it were the stripey Surrey nigels) this Saints fiasco is getting very boring.

We get no info, they get too much, and both sets of fans still in the dark as to what is really happening.
  • Options
    It was always going to happen one day the way football has been since the big bucks arrived. Just be grateful it isn't us, yet! :-(