Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Harry Arter and Aswad Thomas sign. . .

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
for Woking according to their website - http://www.wokingfc.co.uk/news/detail/new-signings/1487/ so its Conf South for them next season.

Comments

• I'm assuming that thats for good: not a years "loan" ?
  • mmm interesting
  • 3 down ???? to go
  • edited June 2009
    Thomas was always going to go, not going to be good enough.

Arter, not seen him due to his injuries and being out on loan, but I hope we don't regret it. He'll probably make his way back up a few levels like Fuller and MacDonald eventually did.

With Ambrose going to Palace that's 8 players out of contract left (plus Kinsella).
  • there goes my future career as squad predictor
  • Surprised at Arter tbh

hope it works out for the pair of them
  • Good luck to them although I do think that Arter might go on to a higher league team eventually.
    He'll probably make his way back up a few levels like Fuller and MacDonald eventually did.
    The interesting thing about Charlie MacDonald is that we could well sign him now.
  • can't say I'm surprised about Aswad Thomas but Arter ? Definately better than Blue Square South. He'll end up back in the League before very long. However, if we lost ZZ plus two of Shelvey, Racon and Bailey and with Wright seemingly off and Holland past it we are very, very thin on the ground suddenly in midfield.
  • we are very, very thin on the ground suddenly in midfield.
    I don't think the cull is over. This is just the beginning. Also the idea of being thin in midfield is something of a novelty after last season. I don't think Holland is past it as even if we were to sell him he'd probably go to a league 1 side anyway Our relegation has just coincided with Holland's career progression, he's be better off sticking with us in league 1 rather playing a bit part role at a Championship club. Added to that he's already expressed a wish to stay at Charlton.
  • Holland can't be relied upon to be a regular, a squad player yes. His knees have gone and he's slowed down trendously. Can do a job when called upon but not regularly.
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree Large. That said I think he'd do a job for us in league one. More of a defensive centre these days but a good hard tackler still.
  • It shows how Holland is ageing when we're going down to League One and don't want him as anything more than a squad player. A few years ago he was a regular in the Prem for us.

As for midfield cover, if Dean Sinclair can get fit (and I think he'll miss pre-season with his injury/recovery) he should be useful in League One at least as a squad player.
  • edited June 2009
    Shocking, another reason for Parky to go. Instead of having a promising, midfielder who can pass, carry the ball forward and take set-pieces with either foot, we have Matthew Spring.
  • Don't think Thomas would've made it with us anyway but i'm surprised at the decision to let Arter go, especially after he knuckled down and impressed at Welling last year. Would've thought it'd make more sense to offer him another year, see how he fared in pre-season then maybe loan him to a conference or league 2 side for a bit.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Don't think Thomas would've made it with us anyway but i'm surprised at the decision to let Arter go, especially after he knuckled down and impressed at Welling last year. Would've thought it'd make more sense to offer him another year, see how he fared in pre-season then maybe loan him to a conference or league 2 side for a bit.

I guess we can't afford to carry anyone who we don't think will play regularly. He is currently down the pecking order and is it worth spending £52k (I've plucked that figure out of the air) on him to see if he comes good?

Can't see the squad size being anywhere near last season. Two players for every positions, that's it. Worked alright for Burnley...
  • Something appears to have gone wrong with Arter's prospects since his career threatening achilles injury.

Maybe the club think he's lost something from his game, or his ankle won't stand up to the rigors of a full season in the Third Division.
    Maybe, through no fault of his own, he's simply no longer the player he was .... ?
  • As long as it's seen that holland's a central defender who can very occasionally cover in midfield, it's alright. He's more bloody dominant than Hudson and if we get him out and replace him with a couple of strong willed lower league pros or Aussies like Kisnorbo or Chris Coyne I'd be very happy; I know there's no chance we can get Kisnorbo just he's the sort of defender I want to see.

Both Thomas and Arter had to go, and hopefully playing regualrly will be good for their careers.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]As long as it's seen that holland's a central defender who can very occasionally cover in midfield, it's alright. He's more bloody dominant than Hudson and if we get him out and replace him with a couple of strong willed lower league pros or Aussies like Kisnorbo or Chris Coyne I'd be very happy; I know there's no chance we can get Kisnorbo just he's the sort of defender I want to see.

Both Thomas and Arter had to go, and hopefully playing regualrly will be good for their careers.

Holland a central defender - PMSL. He's not tall enough end of. He's not good enough for midfield or defence and there's no point paying him to be a reserve, unless he agrees to a wage comensurate for a Division 1 reserve player.
  • Good luck to both of them and I hope they can make it back. Aswad Thomas I'm not surprised at, but Arter might just be a mistake, although with a number of central midfielders already at the club carrying another who isn't likely to be a first team regular means that financially it makes sense to shift him off the pay-roll.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]As long as it's seen that holland's a central defender who can very occasionally cover in midfield, it's alright. He's more bloody dominant than Hudson

That says more about Hudson than it does about Holland. Holland isn't a centre back and he'd get ruined in the air against some of the lumps that play in league one. I recall Holland playing centre back away at Bristol City and many were moaning on here after he got caught out against Adebola.
  • Sponsored links:

• Holland also got caught out at CB against Wolves.

As an occasional CB Holland is ok, but going into a second season with him as first reserve at CB would be a big mistake.
  • Arter expected to be signing for Swindon in Jan according to reports. Good luck to him.
  • Not surprised, he was supposed to be regarded as a similar quality to J Wright, who is now a regular in the Champ. I think we could regret releasing Arter but I guess the injury killed his chances. Also Arter may be good but our central midfield is strongest area so not sure where he'd have fit in.
  • At least that's coming from tribal football, one of the worst 'sources' out there.
  • To be fair that's the risk we took in the summer to keep Shelvey, Bailey and Racon.
  • I don't think anyone would have kept Arter if it meant one of those 3 had to be sold. Although he's obviously talented, he'd have found it hard to even make the bench with the CMs we have. Same applies to Yussuff.
  • Just had a look on the Woking website after seeing Tuna is there on work experience.

Had a look at their stats for this season, Arter has 7 goals in 33 starts and 2 sub appearances. Though 4 of those goals were in 8 cup appearances. He also has 10 yellow cards.

Maybe he'll be one of those "we should have never have let him go (despite not being good enough for the level we were in at the time)" players?...
  • I live in Woking and the local paper is always speculating which league club Harry will be transferred to in the next transfer window. Apparently Swindon were favourites in January....but he's still at Woking. The young lad has great talent but is very reckless, hence the 10 yellow cards. If he can stay injury free then I fully expect him to get back into the League soon.