Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Normandy 2009

edited June 2009 in Not Sports Related
Off on thursday early doors with 5 mates to Normandy for the 65th anniversary of D-Day. Recently renovated a forty year old Exmilitary Land rover, so taking that and my mates 50 year old Land rover, should be a good do and will let those that are interested how it went on my return (if the Land Rovers make it of course).
So on the 6th June take your hat off and say a big thank you to those that gave their tomorrows 65 years ago.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a great trip.

Just on news HRH Charles has now been invited by the French -----------under direct pressure from the President of the USA.
  • Options
    Wouldn't Prince Charles have wanted the other side to win the war ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Wouldn't Prince Charles have wanted the other side to win the war ?

No, the Greeks were on our side : - )

Sounds like a good trip. Hope to hear a report next week.
  • Options
    You will love it over there been going to Normandy for 4 years few times a year been looking at houses there just waiting on the euro to come up. Where are you staying just make sure you take plenty of money it's not cheap there
  • Options
    Rob, Staying at Le Tournieres couple of miles south of Bayeux, camping. Weather looks Ok, staying 4 nights, get the 8am ferry Portsmouth-Caen Thursday morning. yes I've heard its expensive, not that you would go to France too often!!! Theres lots of French people there!! ;o)
  • Options
    I stayed there on a school trip. Lovely little town. Have a good trip mate. And youre right. We should all be very humbled by what those boys did.
  • Options
    Bibble - if you get the chance and have the time, the brilliant Antony Beevor's "D-Day, the Normandy Landings" is in the shops now (£25 hardback). I'm half-way through it already and don't want to go to work in order to finish it!
  • Options
    I have visited Bayeux Cemetery and some of the coastline (Omaha American Cemetery) but really need to do a proper job of it sometime. Have a great trip and will be interested to hear how it goes. I have heard from various sources that the French do seem to inflate prices a bit around this time of year.Thank goodness Prince Charles is going now.

A week later Henry, Addickted and I will be doing the Retreat from Mons/Chemin des Dames part of WW1 paying our respects to the fallen British American and French who fought in that area at various times during 1914-18.

We will also be paying our respects to Fred Chick at Caterpillar Valley Cemetery (Somme)who was on the Charlton payroll and died in 1916.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]Bibble - if you get the chance and have the time, the brilliant Antony Beevor's "D-Day, the Normandy Landings" is in the shops now (£25 hardback). I'm half-way through it already and don't want to go to work in order to finish it!

Going to see a client just off Charing Cross Rd so will be forced to go into bookshops and buy something.

I was hoping to wait until it came out in paperback but I don't think I will manage it. Good reviews in the Sundays.
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I have visited Bayeux Cemetery and some of the coastline (Omaha American Cemetery) but really need to do a proper job of it sometime. Have a great trip and will be interested to hear how it goes. I have heard from various sources that the French do seem to inflate prices a bit around this time of year.Thank goodness Prince Charles is going now.

A week later Henry, Addickted and I will be doing the Retreat from Mons/Chemin des Dames part of WW1 paying our respects to the fallen British American and French who fought in that area at various times during 1914-18.

We will also be paying our respects to Fred Chick at Caterpillar Valley Cemetery (Somme)who was on the Charlton payroll and died in 1916.

Good news on Fred Chick. Didn't realise he was on the itinerary.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite] A week later Henry, Addickted and I will be doing the Retreat from Mons/Chemin des Dames part of WW1 paying our respects to the fallen British American and French who fought in that area at various times during 1914-18.

You never said anything about paying my respects to the French!

In which case..... "I'm out"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Decided I will post footie watch The Longest Day on Saturday.

Beach scene at the start and the overhead sequence at Ouistreham are classic elements to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]Bibble - if you get the chance and have the time, the brilliant Antony Beevor's "D-Day, the Normandy Landings" is in the shops now (£25 hardback). I'm half-way through it already and don't want to go to work in order to finish it!

£12.50 on amazon it seems, in hardback. Didn't we also use to have a link to amazon from charlton life that helped this site out a little?
  • Options
    Chapeau to all those men and the women.

Can't see what Beevor can bring to the D-Day lexicon past recent books such as Stephen Ambrose. Still it'll be nice to read a book on D-Day with a bit of left wing leaning instead of Ambrose's well researched but often ridiculously oppinionated rubbish.

I'll have to go to Dunkirk some day and chapeau the grandad AlfredTat.

Enjoy and much respect to all those there in '44 and today.
  • Options

[cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Going to see a client just off Charing Cross Rd so will be forced to go into bookshops and buy something.

I was hoping to wait until it came out in paperback but I don't think I will manage it. Good reviews in the Sundays.

Henry - just finished it - won't spoil the ending for you.