Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diawara & Transfer Fee

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
I've been pretty critical about some of the decisions by Charlton board members but increasingly the Diawara transfer fee negotiated has turned out to be a good bit of business.

People seem to like to criticise the board for transfer fees received. Now there's been glaring mistakes like Faye, Bent and Traore all costing 2.5, but the fact the board negotiated for a potential 5.1 million Euro's for Diawara after a patchy season remains a triumph. The board may not have forseen the exchange rate going so ridiculously in their direction, but with so many people willing to knock them for 'letting Charlton get stiffed in the market' maybe people can congratulate them.

Maybe also people can step back and see how uniquely complex and difficult it is for Charlton to negotiate when we are not the dominant partner in transfer negotiations. The situation of Diawara and Boughera, where both were probably desperate to go and re Boughera we were desperate for cash, means the prices the board negotiated were quite outstanding. They deserve some credit sometimes.

Comments

• Options
    Yes,if your figures are right, that seems to me to be a fair and well made comment
  • Options
    Good points Colin
  • Options
    Yeah we did well to get what we did for him and not too bad for Bougherra. A Rangers fan told me he's "absolutely strolled through the SPL", if he played that well for us consistently we might have got a bit more for him.

Luke Young is another one that the board are sometimes criticized for, because Villa paid around £6m for him. Difference was, Boro weren't desperate to sell like us and Villa were desperate for a solid right back. We had just been relegated, Young needed to be playing in the Prem and we had to cut the wage bill.

Of course we also did very well to get £16.5m for Darren Bent (however it's being paid, I know it wasn't all up front).

Out of Bent, Diawara and Young we must have made over £20m, not far off doubling what we paid for them.
  • Options
    now playing against Real Madrid and marking Kaka and Ronaldo !! Sky Sports Extra..............still got his gloves on
  • Options
    Thought we spent £4 mill on young and got back half.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]now playing against Real Madrid and marking Kaka and Ronaldo !! Sky Sports Extra..............still got his gloves on
    Just been sent off
  • Options
    Looked a little harsh the red card, was a proper old fashioned solid challenge, ball then player(ronaldo) maybe studs slightly showing
  • Options
    I thought so as well, I know its a bit of a cliche but the ref's do give them in Europe.
  • Options
    haha i came on here to see if that was our diawara, i think defo sending of but as usual ronaldo over-reacts!
  • Options
    Never a booking - he won the ball with a strong challenge. How the fuck is he meant to tackle and not make contact with the diving Portuguese tosser?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    very good sliding tackle all the TV replys showed he easily got the bal. Never a booking.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Thought we spent £4 mill on young and got back half.

2.5 I think was his original price
  • Options
    that was never a booking. ronaldo shows once again why he's the world's biggest twat.
  • Options
    in fairness i don't think ronaldo did anything wrong in this challenge, diawarra went through the ball and took the player
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]in fairness i don't think ronaldo did anything wrong in this challenge, diawarra went through the ball and took the player
    I agree - didn't necessarily do anything wrong as contact was inevitable. but I must say it was a beautiful tackle - perfectly timed and how this "mans" game should be played (didn't see Ronnie leaping to Diawara's defence though)
  • Options
    I thought it was a good tackle, but unfortunately it's the kind that's dying out now. Too much money involved in players getting injured. If you go in with any kind of force you're likely to get a booking.
  • Options
    To be fair to Ronaldo, Diawara did clatter him after he got the ball so he was hurt and he went off with the injury about 10 minutes later. On the subject of Ronaldo he's started 6 games for Madrid, they've won them all and he's scored 9 goals, i wonder if they think he was worth the 80m?!
  • Options
    They would prefer Chris Dickson
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]They would prefer Chris Dickson

I seriously can't believe why he isn't palying alongside Ronaldo for Real.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]They would prefer Chris Dickson

I seriously can't believe why he isn't palying alongside Ronaldo for Real.

Neither can he....