Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Own the Pitch -- Think big Money

We know that RM thought that the suggestion of The Valley Pitch Owners Trust was intresting , so lets go for it.

* we divid the pitch up into 1 M Sq lots each has a value of £300 ,(not knowing size of pitch) we should be able to raise £3million.
* Penalty spots, centre circle not sold (yet). Large raffles £20 per ticket at intervals to keep the money coming in.
* Trust set up to look after the dosh
* All trust members voted on.
* Maybe a wall within the Valley showing whole pitch and who are the "owners"
* Plaque to all that buy.
* Cash amounts to the club , say £1million ---------- huge amount for a Div 3 club.
* We use the Clubs bank to deposit funds --- but we tell them " we have £3million to put into your bank, if you free up the over darft to CAFC. If you dont f**k you will take the money to your rivals and go to the press".

If we undertake the ubove i feel its like the Valley Party and target 10,000-----------its CAFC fans doing it again for the club. Thing is we need money to get it moving/start.

Comments

• Options
    I really think it's a great great idea and something that the FF should push forward IMO.

The success of the bricks and paving stones was superb and I really feel this could have a similar uptake.
  • Options
    Great idea. I'm in.
  • Options
    Very happy to take this idea to the Club via the Fans' Forum. It sounds top class to me.

The best way is if we can capture the essence of the idea (Goonerhater's bullet points) in the form of a brief written proposal. Would someone volunteer to prepare that? If not, I'm happy to have a go at it, but it would be better if it came from the originator(s) of the idea.

For me, this is a great example of how fans can really help the Club at the time it needs it most.
  • Options
    Good idea.

A supporters' trust (elected and properly constituted) handling the money is the way forward IMHO
  • Options
    great idea. depends on how much the land is worth of course and who the new owners are, and whether they are willing to sell the land to the Trust, as real ownership is a must.
  • Options
    great idea, got my name on a brick outside the west stand....and would be in for this as well.
  • Options
    The Valley pitch is 6,835 square metres. To raise £3m, each sq m would have to be sold for an average of £439, which may be a bit steep. However, they could be released for auction, with a hefty reserve on some of the premium spots (eg "Shaun Bartlett's volley against Leicester", "John Robinson's equaliser against Man United").

The alternative approach would be to make the squares available to rent. At £50 per annum, that would raise £341,750 per annum.
  • Options
    Great Idea,Gh
    If we still have pro zone next season couldn't they tell you if something occurs on your patch of grass like a goal or sending off.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You would NOT actually "own" the land.

Chelsea did it-- we can.

Cant get to complicated (other than the legal parts) or it wont fly.

All general areas £300 --------- penalty areas and semi circle £600

Remember the Directors sold off some assets to raise works capital and raised £1.5 million,if this idea aims for £3 million we can help the club on the pitch and off it.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]The Valley pitch is 6,835 square metres. To raise £3m, each sq m would have to be sold for an average of £439, which may be a bit steep. However, they could be released for auction, with a hefty reserve on some of the premium spots (eg "Shaun Bartlett's volley against Leicester", "John Robinson's equaliser against Man United").

The alternative approach would be to make the squares available to rent. At £50 per annum, that would raise £341,750 per annum.

Or sell by the squre foot - football pitch sizes are often still quoted in yards. There's about 74,000 square feet - could offer three bands eg £50 for one, £200 for five, £400 for ten (maximum per individual) - that would widen the reach to more people, without complicating too much.

See Friends of Laphroaig (Google it) - malt whisky scheme to get people to register and own a square foot of land in Islay. Not paid for - you just have to have bought a bottle, but they have 350,000 worldwide members.

I think it's a brilliant idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]The Valley pitch is 6,835 square metres. To raise £3m, each sq m would have to be sold for an average of £439

You'd also need to sell 6,835 of them, that might be the hard part in the current climate.
  • Options
    Like the square foot idea (as I was going to suggest it myself!) £3.7m for 74,000. You could go for the "rent" idea at £20 per season and generate a potential income of £1.5m.

You could couple it with a sort of spot the ball competition, with a prize for the square where the ball lands when kicked from the centre spot at ht, to try and boost takeup.
  • Options
    People club together to sponser a players kit , familys do as well.

Call it target £3 million work the details back from there.

If it was a piece of piss every club would do it------------------but then not every club had The Valley Party and not every club have a fans Director on the Board etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]The Valley pitch is 6,835 square metres. To raise £3m, each sq m would have to be sold for an average of £439

You'd also need to sell 6,835 of them, that might be the hard part in the current climate.

True but that's just a barrier to overcome.

Another barrier to look at is are there any charges on the Valley for the mortgage or overdraft that might include the pitch?
  • Options
    Good idea.

First job has to be getting a trust up and running though.
  • Options
    Great idea - I'm all for it
  • Options
    Brilliant Idea.
  • Options
    Sponsor a blade of grass?
  • Options
    We'll struggle to get 6835 season ticket holders this Summer. The prospects of getting as many people to donate a similar size of money to the price of a season ticket for nominal ownership of square metre of the pitch are next to nothing. However, things look desperate and maybe it's the time for the fans to "do something." I'd support whatever it is....
  • Options
    Think we'll get more than ST wise CS, but agree with the 2nd part.
    Paying out Twice is/will be a bit hard in the present climate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Imnot Athletic[/cite]Like the square foot idea (as I was going to suggest it myself!) £3.7m for 74,000. You could go for the "rent" idea at £20 per season and generate a potential income of £1.5m.

You could couple it with a sort of spot the ball competition, with a prize for the square where the ball lands when kicked from the centre spot at ht, to try and boost takeup.[/quote]

Good idea that one...you could build in some competition whereby the spot of land that has the ball on it at the end of each game wins a % of the money raised that season (if renting the plots), may encourage more people to join in as it brings it 'alive' a bit more.
  • Options
    i like it....................i'll buy it

:-D
  • Options
    bumpy
  • Options
    Problem solved - GH runs the supporters trust with this as the initial initiative..............
  • Options
    Great idea GH and I agree with Henry, that should be run by the Supporters Trust.
  • Options
    good idea but shame most people like myself wont be able to afford £300 and you need to think probably 1/4 or more of season ticket holders are U18 like myself or U11.
  • Options
    Id put in some cash for sure...
  • Options
    I think a lot of the Addicks down under would like to contribute, I'm sure Tel would get the lads together on this one.
    Even if individuals couldn't afford the full 300 pounds, groups such as the ADU's could chip in together to buy a chunk.
    I think it's a great idea and brilliant to see Charlton fans once again pulling together and thinking of ways to help the club out.
    However it would be very helpful if the club would first come out and tell us the true extent of the problems.
    Also how could we ring fence the funds to ensure they don't end up buying another Ferrari for someone like Pardew?
    We better also check with Paddy to see how much he is going to charge us for mowing our patch!
  • Options
    Excellent idea and it's worked for Chelsea.
  • Options
    So how much dosh do we need next years or so ?

i think there is a debt falling in 2011, its in the Share Holders AGM thing of aprox £1.5 million

then we probably have a running debt of £1.5 million

we need to strenghten the team in order to stand any chance of going up £1 million

and there has to be other issues falling within one year say £1 million

we therefore need to raise £5 million.

could we find 5,000 people willing to put £1,000 in ?

could we "sell" the pitch ? could we do another share issue ?

would people stump up £1,000 a pop for a risk where we may still be where we are in a years time ?

Maybe some would stump up over £1,000 but for what ?