Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Ambrose signs for Palace

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Good the biggest non event of a footballer i have ever seen...... I stuck by him telling everyone he would come good and well Darren frankly your toilet

Echoed
  • Options
    I wish him well. That would he easier if he's not at palace though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]I wish him well. That would he easier if he's not at palace though.

What he said.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: folder[/cite]Ambrose = engima - Charlton

John Barnes = engima - England.....

Darren Ambrose undoubted talent - also unboubted in my opinion that he was unused to the best of his ability with us tactics and possibly man mangment...certaintly a confidence player who in a team built around him would do better...unfortunately a luxary we cannot afford as previous seasons have shown...

That was always the problem, he isn't and never was quite good enough to have a team built around him.
  • Options
    take care darren
  • Options
    I will always wonder what happened to him. There's rarely been a player that I've been so pleased to sign, but it's never worked with any consistency and it seems to have got worse and worse recently. Took a pay cut to help the club. I wish him all the best though, it's just not worked out.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I will always wonder what happened to him. There's rarely been a player that I've been so pleased to sign, but it's never worked with any consistency and it seems to have got worse and worse recently. Took a pay cut to help the club. I wish him all the best though, it's just not worked out.[/quote]

I think he needed a ballwinner next to him in central midfield , we never had one.
    Also clearly a confidence player with no confidence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nelsenout[/cite]I think he needed a ballwinner next to him in central midfield , we never had one.
    Also clearly a confidence player with no confidence.

And even then, he'd still be a lot better off with a third CM in there, so he can play behind a striker.
  • Options
    The summer we signed him I read an article by Bobby Robson and he said it was the buy of the season. Apart from a few fleeting moments he's never lived up to that and could never be relied upon to do it when really needed him to. Good luck unless he goes to Palace!
  • Options
    Always a shame to see unfulfilled talent.

Whether that is down to his injury or attitude who knows?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    waste of a lung , end of .

just happy to take his dough and sit out his contract
  • Options
    And it wasn't just with us that he was a dissapointment...he of course took himself off to The Tractor boys in a huge blaze of publicity from both them and him.....only to come back to us having failed to impress whatsoever.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]waste of a lung , end of .

Not sure I'd go that far buckshee...he's evidently very dedicated...however he's just lost it somewhere along the line.
    Supposed to be a pleasant individual by all accounts.
  • Options
    Seems to have had a lot of potential but never fulfilled it. Think his confidence has gradually been eroded over the past few bad years weve had and hes been mad somewhat of a scapegoat more than a lot of others who have performed below par with sections of the crowd (rightly or wrongly) showing their thoughs regularly which i dont suppose has helped him.

More a frustration for not fulfilling his potential than a coaster happy to pick up his wages imo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]waste of a lung , end of .

He has actually voluntarily taken a wage cut in the last few months, as he couldn't play through injury and knew we were strapped for cash.
  • Options
    It is very very rare for a footballer to actually be happy sitting on the bench. They want to play and they want to play well. Anyone who has met Darren will tell you he would have loved more than anyone to have fulfilled that potential.
  • Options
    He has had his chances....... and not taken them, not the only one, Marcus Bent, Rommadahl, JFH, ZZ, Todorov, Varney, to name a few, and I am sure Darren is a decent bloke but that is not really the issue is it.....

Things for reasons I am not too sure about, injury, confidence whatever, best for all concerned he tries to regain some of the ability he once promised.....
  • Options
    Agent Shazza perhaps?
  • Options
    "Potential" we've all got or had it. I was once told I had it as a 14 year old keeper.(keepers always look good in poor teams)
    I hope he obtains his potential but it aint going to be we us.
  • Options
    Potential is no good, if at the end of the day you are basically not that good. Darren Ambrose is basically not that good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he has flattered to deceive and hasn't really delivered BUT he went up in my estimation when I heard he had gone to the Board waiving his appearance fees if they were the reason he wasn't being picked.
  • Options
    undoubted ability - if we could play him in the hole or as as second striker and give him a run then im sure that we could see something better that what we have seen so far... that said even though he has never hit form at least he has scored a few,,,,,hidden gem?...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Agent Shazza perhaps?[/quote]

beat me to it

Here's hoping lol
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]he has flattered to deceive and hasn't really delivered BUT he went up in my estimation when I heard he had gone to the Board waiving his appearance fees if they were the reason he wasn't being picked.

If true then good on him.

Wouldn't fault his effort or attitude and he certainly has skill but a difficult player to fit in to a side.

Looked good in a 4 -4-1- 1 and in the Murphy/kish/Smertin/Dennis/Ambrose midfield five but not what we need or can afford now IMHO.
  • Options
    Would of been curious to see how he would have fared, just as an out & out striker.
    Away from the melee & scrum of the central midfield area.
    Did have a pretty decent eye for goal at times.
  • Options
    Rommedahl and Ambrose two players that offered lots of hope but failed to deliver. the difference between the two is that Rommedahl,never made the pretence that he cared, announcing his departure well before our relegation. Ambrose never reached his ability level, with the exception of a few games - Ipswich comes to mind, but he did appear to care and was willing to fight our cause to the end.
  • Options
    All the best, Sharon. Thanks for everything. Your contribution has been underwhelming.
  • Options
    All the best, Sharon. Thanks for everything. Your contribution has been underwhelming.
  • Options
    I'll 2nd that
  • Options
    Well he was never going to stay and probably one of the highest earners of the squad so no major loss.