Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Minutes from the Fans' Forum meeting held on Thursday 14th May 09

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
FANS’ FORUM MINUTES
14th May 2009

Present

Gavin Barratt (Fans’ Forum) Tony Garrett (Fans’ Forum)
Gary Davenport (Fans’ Forum) Dave Rudd (Fans’ Forum)
Terry Hastings (Fans’ Forum) Geoff Billingsley (Fans’ Forum)
Steve Waggott (GCEO) David White (FC Director)
Suzanne Hillcock (PA CEO notetaker)

Apologies: Sacha Zarb (Fans’ Forum), Stephen Kavanagh (MD)

Introduction

1. Review of last meeting minutes

- Terry Hastings and Geoff Billingsley to shadow Paul Ellison on matchday To be arranged early next season 8/09
- Gary Davenport shadowing of Mick Everett (* see below) Completed
- Updated Fans’ Forum article - Completed
- CAFC Payment Issue Suzanne Hillcock to speak to Matt Wright End of 5/09
- Fans’ Forum Event Diary Fans’ Forum to issue/arrange 7/09
- End of Season Event Suzanne Hillcock to arrange dates End of 5/09
- Executive Summary of progress to date Unknown
- Season Ticket Incentives Suggestions to be submitted Ongoing
- Overseas Supporters’ Fixture Dates to be agreed after fixtures are released June 09
- Player of the Year Event went well Ongoing

* Gary Davenport referred to his report (issued last month) regarding his shadowing day with Mick Everett. He found it extremely useful to understand what goes into the day to day workings of the Operations Director and the Security team. He explained that he had enquired into relocating home fans, either to the South Stand or to the East Stand (nearer to the South Stand), but the club had responded by inferring that, although it wouldn’t stop home fans moving to the East Stand blocks A & B, it would warn fans that they will be closely monitored due to the close proximity of the away fans. There are a number of health and safety reasons why away fans couldn’t be relocated to areas of the West or East Stands.

2. Review of Members

Steve Waggott confirmed that Sacha Zarb had resigned from the Fans’ Forum due to work commitments. It was agreed that all current members would continue for another six months with the position being reviewed at the end of that period.

3. New additions to the team

It was decided that one or maybe two new members should join the forum. There was a discussion about recruitment of new members. It was agreed that an article would be posted on the Official website and that fans would be invited to contact Steve Waggott. Applications would then be forwarded to the Fans’ Forum representatives for consideration. It was agreed that the new member(s) should be chosen by the Fans’ Forum and not the club. There was also a discussion as to how long each fans’ forum member should be a representative and if this should be a rolling membership.

4. Disabled Supporters in the South Stand

Tony Garrett reported back to the group regarding progress with regards to the location of disabled supporters in the south stand. He explained that the plan, if away fans do not take their full allocation, is to cover the back few rows of the first batch of seats to allow fans to be able to see, but there could be a possibility of disabled fans being positioned at the front of the South Stand. Steve Waggott also suggested to Tony Garrett to look at the area in front of the security tower where the groundstaff currently stand during the match.

5. Europe/Australia Scouting Solutions

Terry Hastings and Lars Liljegren had suggested that overseas fans might help out with the scouting of players in various areas due to the cost cutting exercise of reducing the number of retained scouts. Steve Waggott explained that all suggestions of players via agents or otherwise are forwarded to Phil Chapple for him to follow up on. Steve Waggott suggested that, due to the tight budgets, perhaps some plans could be put in place regarding standardising the assessment including stamina/speed/profile/skill etc. Steve Waggott suggested that a member of the Fans’ Forum could meet with Phil Chapple to understand the process and see the templates by which players are analysed (covering physical, technical, tactical aspects and attitude etc).

Terry Hastings also added that Richard Mallion (who is a member of Addicks Downunder) works at the High Commission and would be able to arrange for meetings with the High Commissioner for any Charlton delegations heading to Australia in the next 18 months and possibly advise on visa applications.

6. Manager Position

Steve Waggott reiterated that Phil Parkinson’s contract runs until June 2010 and, until he is told otherwise, he is continuing to fulfil that role by going to matches, scouting players, scouring leagues and planning for next season. It was understood that some fans wanted to know whether he will stay or go before they renew their season tickets, and it was suggested that, if some fans wanted him to go, by renewing it would give the club money to possibly change things, but either way it was unknown at this point as to his position going forward. There was a discussion regarding whether any decisions could be reliant on a takeover or investment, but as further information regarding this isn’t available at present, it was difficult to discuss in detail. It was agreed that, at some point in the not too distant future, an announcement would have to be made either way, but it was unclear when this would be.

7. Season ticket update and incentive ideas

Steve Waggott reported that currently numbers are encouraging and historically the number of renewals doubles the week prior to the cut off date for keeping your seat. Steve Waggott said it was difficult to compare with previous seasons due to the lack of incentives this year to last year, but they were pleased with the progress so far.

8. Potential Investment Update

As stated above, discussions are still ongoing with regards to investment and there is no update available yet.

9. AOB
a. 6th June in Bexley – NW Kent BBQ / Fun day – Request for Season Ticket Forms – Fans’ Forum presence, signed merchandise etc – Dave Rudd to forward details.

b. Discussions regarding the availability of a bar/lounge to be used by supporters club/ Fans’ Forum on a match by match basis to raise profile, although, by being inside the ground, this limits access to some. The initiative involving the display poster and contact cards was deemed to have been a success, although it was noted that only a small number of fans are being reached.

c. Geoff Billingsley suggested hosting a quiz night at The Valley for fans to attend to raise the profile of the Fans’ Forum

d. Steve Waggott suggested that the Fans’ Forum representatives could contact Scott Coomber and Graeme Dinning to help with the media promotion of a Fans’ Forum Day early in the new season.

e. Steve Waggott informed the members that unless a sponsor was found for the big screen, it may not be in use next season due to budget cuts.

f. Terry Hastings suggested that sponsors could be mentioned, for example, when a player scores a goal to create more advertising or as an incentive to sponsor players.

g. Geoff Billingsley asked about the opportunity of a pitchside presence by Fans’ Forum representatives. It was agreed that this would be possible, although not at the first game as other things may be going on.

h. A question was raised regarding a page being put in the programme regularly. Matt Wright to be asked and report back at next meeting

i. Tony Garrett asked if the ‘CADSA’ affiliation after his name could be dropped from the website as he represents all fans - not just disabled CADSA fans, but non CADSA members as well.

j. A question was asked regarding the sponsor on the shirt for next season. Steve Waggott said that it wasn’t agreed yet, but it was likely that there would be a new home and away shirt if the sponsors were to change for next season.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2009
    cheers for that dave interesting to see what goes on
  • Options
    6. Manager Position

Steve Waggott reiterated that Phil Parkinson’s contract runs until June 2010 and, until he is told otherwise, he is continuing to fulfil that role by going to matches, scouting players, scouring leagues and planning for next season. It was understood that some fans wanted to know whether he will stay or go before they renew their season tickets, and it was suggested that, if some fans wanted him to go, by renewing it would give the club money to possibly change things, but either way it was unknown at this point as to his position going forward. There was a discussion regarding whether any decisions could be reliant on a takeover or investment, but as further information regarding this isn’t available at present, it was difficult to discuss in detail. It was agreed that, at some point in the not too distant future, an announcement would have to be made either way, but it was unclear when this would be.

For some reason I am shocked by this.

Buy a season ticket to see PP - or buy one to give us funds to get rid of him!

Doesn't seem particularly good business IMO - seems to wreek of desperation to me and I'm not impressed
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    6. Manager Position

For some reason I am shocked by this.

Buy a season ticket to see PP - or buy one to give us funds to get rid of him!

Doesn't seem particularly good business IMO - seems to wreek of desperation to me and I'm not impressed

I wondered how long it would be before this item got a reaction. Personally I was very surprised that the Club were happy to include this in the approved minutes - but I am delighted that the Fans' Forum are able to share it.
  • Options
    Comments like that are why CEOs earn more than the average bear :-)
  • Options
    I think there is a clue there if you look hard enough ;-)....cant think of how one would do one of those icon things with tongue firmly in cheek...
  • Options
    Probably a stupid question but just wondered what the bit about "There was a discussion regarding whether any decisions could be reliant on a takeover or investment, but as further information regarding this isn’t available at present, it was difficult to discuss in detail" meant. What information isn't currently available?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Probably a stupid question but just wondered what the bit about"There was a discussion regarding whether any decisions could be reliant on a takeover or investment, but as further information regarding this isn’t available at present, it was difficult to discuss in detail"meant. What information isn't currently available?

They don't know because it isn't available:-)
  • Options
    Players and management from memory...Dave will correct me if Im wrong
  • Options
    Sounds like the board is doing its best to alienate/ undermine Parkinson, perhaps in the hope that he will walk? A terrible way to do business IMHO.

(Now if they had been clever enough to do it to Pardew, I wouldn't have had any complaints.)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Probably a stupid question but just wondered what the bit about "There was a discussion regarding whether any decisions could be reliant on a takeover or investment, but as further information regarding this isn’t available at present, it was difficult to discuss in detail" meant. What information isn't currently available?

It was regarding the question of Phil Parkinson's position potentially being dependent on any takeover or investment which might be imminent. The message was that, as there is no further information currently available regarding takeovers or investment, nothing could be discussed about their impact on Phil Parkinson's position.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Steve Waggott explained that all suggestions of players via agents or otherwise are forwarded to Phil Chapple for him to follow up on

Hi Dave,

How might we contact Mr Chapple to put forward player suggestions ? I have a couple from Scotland and I have a mate who said there are a couple in the Irish league who look tasty that no other English teams are in for ?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Steve Waggott explained that all suggestions of players via agents or otherwise are forwarded to Phil Chapple for him to follow up on

Hi Dave,

How might we contact Mr Chapple to put forward player suggestions ? I have a couple from Scotland and I have a mate who said there are a couple in the Irish league who look tasty that no other English teams are in for ?

Let me have the details (daverudd@clara.net). As the minutes indicate, the Club is keen that some standardisation is applied to the assessment process. We don't have details of that yet, but we will try to get some insight shortly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]FANS’ FORUM MINUTES
    14th May 2009

6. Manager Position

Steve Waggott reiterated that Phil Parkinson’s contract runs until June 2010 and, until he is told otherwise, he is continuing to fulfil that role .....

What role?

This sentence does not make sense because a role has not been specified. If it was worded '.....Phil Parkinson's contract for the Manager's job....' or '.....Phil Parkinson's contract for the assistant manager's job....' it would make sense. Is this an error in the minutes? Did Steve Wagggot actually specify the role that Parkinson is continuing to fulfil?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Probably a stupid question but just wondered what the bit about"There was a discussion regarding whether any decisions could be reliant on a takeover or investment, but as further information regarding this isn’t available at present, it was difficult to discuss in detail"meant. What information isn't currently available?

Also says
    8. Potential Investment Update

As stated above, discussions are still ongoing with regards to investment and there is no update available yet.
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]What role?

This sentence does not make sense because a role has not been specified. If it was worded '.....Phil Parkinson's contract for the Manager's job....' or '.....Phil Parkinson's contract for the assistant manager's job....' it would make sense. Is this an error in the minutes? Did Steve Wagggot actually specify the role that Parkinson is continuing to fulfil?

Clearly manager. "he is continuing to fulfil that role by going to matches, scouting players, scouring leagues and planning for next season."

Even if he's now the assistant manager, he'll be the one in charge by default simply because there is no one else.

Not sure what matches he's watching though or how he's scouting players, not like anyway.
  • Options
    Think this has to be the biggest hint yet something is going on, i mean if their was no takeover bid surely they would say nothing is going on
  • Options
    Cheers for putting this up and keeping us informed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    Clearly manager."he is continuing to fulfil that role by going to matches, scouting players, scouring leagues and planning for next season."

I would say these are activities a manager or an assistant manager would be expected to perform.
  • Options
    "Europe/Australia Scouting Solutions"

Does anyone else think this is a bad idea? Can anyone really be a scout? I know everyone can win the league on Football Manager but that does not make you a manager.

It also makes us look like a conference side - we have to rely on fans to help us find new players.
  • Options
    Perhaps if they put the disabled away fans in front of the Jimmy Seed end our strikers might be afraid to miss. Imagine the law suit!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]"Europe/Australia Scouting Solutions"

Does anyone else think this is a bad idea? Can anyone really be a scout? I know everyone can win the league on Football Manager but that does not make you a manager.

It also makes us look like a conference side - we have to rely on fans to help us find new players.

I don' think that the Club is relying on fans - merely supplementing the existing scouting network. Any proposals would need to meet pre-determined criteria anyway.

The Scandinavian Leagues in particular could be a rich source of decent footballing talent, at relatively low cost. Where's the harm in helping the Club to get first hand knowledge? Also, potential scouts will quickly get judged on the quality of their suggestions. Those who don't know what they are looking at won't last too long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its not suggesting that fans become scouts at all, but if you heard of a 16year old being courted by the bigger clubs in Australia for instance, would you not think that this might be a player our academy might be interested in? Why the negativity? Dont you want our club to improve? Or have we become a gaggle of fans who just knock each other....shrugs shoulder.....by the way, there is a vacancy on the forum...why not apply? Takes up a fair bit of time, but Im sure its all worthwhile....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

g. Geoff Billingsley asked about the opportunity of a pitchside presence by Fans’ Forum representatives. It was agreed that this would be possible, although not at the first game as other things may be going on.

New owners and management team being introduced on the pitch?

Oh I love a conspiracy.
  • Options
    Good job with putting the minutes up, there's some interesting stuff in there.
    if some fans wanted him to go, by renewing it would give the club money to possibly change things, but either way it was unknown at this point as to his position going forward

There is a logic there, but i'm not sure it's really right to say this. If this got interpreted as 'if we have enough money we'll get someone better than parkinson' then the club could come in for criticism later if parkinson remains manager (which looks very possible). If we get a decent number of renewals there may be fans saying 'we paid up why is parkinson still in charge'. That wouldn't bring the unity that we desperately need for next season. It also undermines parky and everything he is doing currently in planning for next season. BTW, this isn't about jumping on the criticise steve waggot bandwagon.

They need to make a decision and stick to it, imho.

Apart from that, good stuff.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]I would say these are activities a manager or an assistant manager would be expected to perform.

As I said even if he's now reverted to being the assistant manager, he's still technically the manager by default.

As for the scouting thing, I don't see the harm in suggestions being passed on to Phil Chapple and the scouting team to look into. Clearly we're not going to buy a player because a random fan in Sweden says a player is quite good.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]I would say these are activities a manager or an assistant manager would be expected to perform.

As I said even if he's now reverted to being the assistant manager, he's still technically the manager by default.

As for the scouting thing, I don't see the harm in suggestions being passed on to Phil Chapple and the scouting team to look into. Clearly we're not going to buy a player because a random fan in Sweden says a player is quite good.

Agree.

What is the harm in it? If the tip off transpires to be rubbish then it will simply be filed in the nearest (recycling if any green fascists reading) bin.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]"Europe/Australia Scouting Solutions"

I don' think that the Club is relying on fans - merely supplementing the existing scouting network. Any proposals would need to meet pre-determined criteria anyway.

The Scandinavian Leagues in particular could be a rich source of decent footballing talent, at relatively low cost. Where's the harm in helping the Club to get first hand knowledge? Also, potential scouts will quickly get judged on the quality of their suggestions. Those who don't know what they are looking at won't last too long.

its not about me not wanting to help tjhe club out, I just think its a job that many think they can do and few actually can.

I can see Chappie being inundated with fans telling him about the 'next big thing' have him or another pro scout traipse out there, only to watch five minutes of play and realise they are really nothing special.

There is a reason I compare it to football manager, I just really think its harder than people think to spot new talent. Otherwise why would any pay for the service.

Much better to pay commission to scouts based in those countries for players that they spot with real potential.

Or how about this novel idea. Invest that time and effort in our own academy?
  • Options

Not really, because it would mean the managers job would be vacant, oh I can only dream....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]

Not really, because it would mean the managers job would be vacant, oh I can only dream....

Well exactly, he is still the manager. I was just saying even if he was officially the assistant manager, it wouldn't make a difference.
  • Options
    Either way, HE IS in charge at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Either way, HE IS in charge at the moment.

as far as we are aware