Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Appoint Nigel Adkins - NOW !!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    and Grayson is a Leeds supporter, which had a huge effect on his decision
  • Options
    shit if only alex ferguson supported charlton
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]shit if only alex ferguson supported charlton[/quote]

I'd accept Darren at the moment
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Why would Adkins come to us, dropping down a division. Our ambitions, if they are beyond Parkinson are going to have to face the overwhelming impression that we are a club that has not got a clue from top to bottom. Adkins can do better than us,why not wait around for Boro to make a poor start to the season, Southgate to leave and Gibson to come running to Adkins.

because people like Gibson would go running to Curbishley or Ranieri etc etc first.
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Why would Adkins come to us!! He just got promoted to the Champ, and we just got relegated to league whatever the feck it is!!

For the same reason that Simon Grayson left Blackpool to drop a league and manage Leeds. Bigger club, bigger support, bigger job.

exactly.

But Leeds have a stable base,finally and a reasonable squad. You are deluding yourself if you think we would be anywhere near Adkins radar. We have spent 3 years in chaos, driven by our board and at the moment we continue to be in free fall without rhym nor reason. If we are high on Adkins's list then I don't won't him,cause he would obviously be a deluded nut job to give up the security he has for us.

Kap, I am not deluded. Perhaps you can tell me where the next step up would be for Adkins. It won't be to the Premiership. And if you don't want Adkins then who do you want? According to you anyone coming to us would be deluded. Better to stick with Parky then, anyone else is obviously a nutter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Adkins success is all the more remarkable given the fact that in recent seasons he has had to sell the likes of Martin Patterson to Burnley for £1m, Andy Keogh to Wolves for £600,000 and Billy Sharp to Sheffield United for £2m. By comparison he's spent pennies on players which rather makes the exploits of Messrs Dowie and Pardew somewhat shameful.

We should have moved for Adkins as soon as we sacked Pardew as we might just still be playing Championship football if we had. It's not too late but we will have to sell the job to him and make it a more attractive proposition by way of the potential CAFC offers. Really not sure how we do that given that our current financial state.

our League 1 playing budget is still going to be double that of Scunthorpe's in the Championship and he's earn considerably more but I still reckon it would be the challenge that would attract him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Adkins success is all the more remarkable given the fact that in recent seasons he has had to sell the likes of Martin Patterson to Burnley for £1m, Andy Keogh to Wolves for £600,000 and Billy Sharp to Sheffield United for £2m. By comparison he's spent pennies on players which rather makes the exploits of Messrs Dowie and Pardew somewhat shameful.

He certainly seems to know a striker when he sees one. Scunthorpe had Beckford on loan before he went back to Leeds. Then he got Billy Sharp in, sold him and got Paterson, then sold him and got Hooper and he just scored 30 goals this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]He certainly seems to know a striker when he sees one. Scunthorpe had Beckford on loan before he went back to Leeds. Then he got Billy Sharp in, sold him and got Paterson, then sold him and got Hooper and he just scored 30 goals this season.

Actually, they had Sharpe and Keogh when he took over, I think they were either both youth products or bought by Laws before he went to Sheff Weds, but Adkins did sign Beckford on loan when Keogh left and then did as you say when Sharpe and Patterson left, so your point stands.

Would be a great shout for manager, or at least the right type of guy. If we're replacing Parkinson lets bring in someone who has had success at his last club and sees us as a step up - no more managers coming to us to resurrect their careers please.
  • Options
    Adkins is quality, a dignified and decent football manager, remember when we had one of those...........
    Go Parky........Go now.
  • Options
    I Think my uncle lol - same surname just kidding about uncle bit - has found his level in management to be honest. he's a physio that's come good and persoanlly think we and any other club would be too big a step for him. I might be wrong but let's see how he does with them next season if he keeps then up I might change my tune.
  • Options
    Been saying it for a while as has Large. Adkins is the man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As the crow flies, Scunthorpe is less than 20 miles from Doncaster.

Does that qualify the Scunnies as Geordies ...... ?

;o)
  • Options
    * Ledge
    * CommentTime7 hours ago

quote# 40
    ........has found his level in management to be honest. he's a physio that's come good and persoanlly think we and any other club would be too big a step for him.

Lennie Lawrence was 'just' a school PE teacher - and he found his level in the top flight

;o)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ledge you clearly have no clue about who Nigel Adkins really is. He played almost 250 games in the football league for Tranmere and Wigan. He was then player manager at Bangor from a young age.

Yes he did qualify as a physio, a not uncommon job for an ex-footballer but one that the vast majority wouldn't be able to acheive academically. If you've ever seen him on the bench you can't help but notice how impressive his presence is. He's not a coiled spring moron that Pardew could be at times, he is relaxed, studious and has an obvious rapport with his staff/players. When something is needed to be said to his team he get's straight to his technical area and the players respond to him.

In short I can't think I've seen a better manager on the bench in the last few years, not only that but he clearly is enjoying his job even when they were in for a tough daunting season. Something Pardew and Parkinson never looked like in the champ whilst having a much better squad, and they certainly didn't have the brains to get the different units to work together as units in defence and attack.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Ledge you clearly have no clue about who Nigel Adkins really is. He played almost 250 games in the football league for Tranmere and Wigan. He was then player manager at Bangor from a young age.

Yes he did qualify as a physio, a not uncommon job for an ex-footballer but one that the vast majority wouldn't be able to acheive academically. If you've ever seen him on the bench you can't help but notice how impressive his presence is. He's not a coiled spring moron that Pardew could be at times, he is relaxed, studious and has an obvious rapport with his staff/players. When something is needed to be said to his team he get's straight to his technical area and the players respond to him.

In short I can't think I've seen a better manager on the bench in the last few years, not only that but he clearly is enjoying his job even when they were in for a tough daunting season. Something Pardew and Parkinson never looked like in the champ whilst having a much better squad, and they certainly didn't have the brains to get the different units to work together as units in defence and attack.

thank you for putting Ledge straight for me, meant to do so earlier but forgot. You forgot to mention though that he won back to back Welsh League titles as Manager of Bangor City. The man is clearly a winner. As you say he cuts an impressive figure on the sidelines. He obviously commands respect from his players and gets it. Just the sort of man we need for the job ahead.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]* Ledge
    * CommentTime7 hours ago
    quote# 40
    ........has found his level in management to be honest. he's a physio that's come good and persoanlly think we and any other club would be too big a step for him.

ennie Lawrence was 'just' a school PE teacher - and he found his level in the top flight

;o)

Yeah ok Large and Oggy I'll give you that one - how many we had since then that have come from relative obscurity to managing in the top flight having only been a keeper at lowe level football or not played the game at all- APART from Jose Mourinho.

Just my opinion and I did say if he keeps Scunthorpe up I am more that happy to eat my words.

BUT I iwll say he couldn't do any worse than Parkinson - but he is not gonna leave Scunthorpe for us regardless.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Ledge you clearly have no clue about who Nigel Adkins really is. He played almost 250 games in the football league for Tranmere and Wigan. He was then player manager at Bangor from a young age.

Yeah I am fully aware who he played for thanks - as he shares my surname I used to keep an eye on him when I was younger. He was a GOALKEEPER and let's face it we could probably name 1 or 2 managers past or present to make decent managers who were goalkeepers.

I am more than happy to be proved wrong - yeah he's done well at scunthorpe but I'm willing to bet he doesn't keep them up and if he came to us would not prove successful.
  • Options
    Not commented on this, but certainly is not a man i would be averse to, for 3 reasons:

1. Experience of the league we are in, knowledge of playing styles, players etc
    2. As mentioned above, he has a presence. He seems to have a positive attitude and stands out as a leader. He appears the type that manages to get players to play for him, and believes in hard work and team ethic as the key values. Those will be essential next season, and just what we desperately need to get a stronger core to us again.
    3. I think it would be a possibility if he has ambitions to progress, despite it being a league lower in the interim.
  • Options
    I can't see why he would want to come to us after winning promotion with Scunny? & i wouldn't get too excited about his achievements at Bangor, the Welsh league is just a little up from a pub team! Mind you Bangor are always exciting to watch, they regularly have a bust up with oppo players & fans! I do like him but can't see it happening.
  • Options
    If we were taken over and there was a reasonably large playing budget available then the Charlton job becomes a lot more attractive.

If that would be enough to encourage Adkins to leave Scunny, a club who gave him the chance and who have stuck with him despite relegation only he can say. A lot will be down to his personal ambition and circumstances (family etc) plus which other teams are interested. As Colin said earlier if he decides to stick with the Iron then that can only be seen as a victory for loyalty and the little guy.

He ticks all the boxes for league 1 and the CCC IMHO. Is he a premiership manager? Who knows? None of Mick McCarthy, Phil Brown or Tony Pullis would have been considered Prem managers two years ago so let's worry about Adkins' premiership credentials when and if he gets us there. Hardly a reason to not employ him now.

Nigel Adkins' Red and White Army
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Not commented on this, but certainly is not a man i would be averse to, for 3 reasons:

1. Experience of the league we are in, knowledge of playing styles, players etc
    2. As mentioned above, he has a presence. He seems to have a positive attitude and stands out as a leader. He appears the type that manages to get players to play for him, and believes in hard work and team ethic as the key values. Those will be essential next season, and just what we desperately need to get a stronger core to us again.
    3. I think it would be a possibility if he has ambitions to progress, despite it being a league lower in the interim.

Those reasons plus he's got them playing decent football, and what Henry said. Could potentially be a Premier League manager, and we need League One experience more than we do Premier League experience at the moment anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Intelligent guy, good Manager, great result yesterday and the rest of us fighting for the one promotion place.

Water under the bridge but we missed a trick there.
  • Options
    You'd be amazed to hear that on SaintsWeb there are still some supporters who prefer Pardew over Adkins.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]You'd be amazed to hear that on SaintsWeb there are still some supporters who prefer Pardew over Adkins.

I would but then there's no accounting for taste. 9 wins and a draw from the last dozen games and knocking out a Oremier League side in the process is desperate form!
  • Options
    Will give Utd a tough game. Looks like we will be playing Saints twice late in the season, two six pointers I reckon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]You'd be amazed to hear that on SaintsWeb there are still some supporters who prefer Pardew over Adkins.

I hope that they are safely secured in the local psychiatric institution.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Will give Utd a tough game. Looks like we will be playing Saints twice late in the season, two six pointers I reckon.

Quite disappointed that it has been moved for F.A Cup as I was really looking forward to our game at the end of the month.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]

I would but then there's no accounting for taste. 9 wins and a draw from the last dozen games and knocking out a Oremier League side in the process is desperate form!

Just a 6-0 win AT Oldham tonight making it 19 goals in their last five games. Those doubters on the SaintsWeb ought to be careful what they wish for because the big boys might just come knocking soon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]because the big boys might just come knocking soon

Let's hope they hurry up then!