Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any electricians on here?

Stupidly knocked a drink over last night and it spilled down the wall above the mains plug socket and tripped the power. Think the liquid must have got behind the white panel cover somehow because there were two plugs plugged into the socket at the time.

Unplugged everything from the socket and dried it externally but need to know how long before it is ok to use or if i need to get a sparks to have a look at it.

Thanks

Rodders

Comments

• Ideally you should undo the two screws and pull the socket outlet out about an inch (with the power off) and give a blow dry with a hair dryer. If you are reluctant to do that, put the power on if it doesn't trip, it's o/k inside. But i wouldnt plug anything in to it for a couple of days if possible. Just to give the plug connection sockets time to dry.
    Assuming you have a modern consumer unit with MCB's and an RCD it's pretty safe.
  • Thanks Daggs.

Im pretty reluctant to unscrew it as Im about as DIY proficient as Frank Spencer after 10 pints!

It is an RCD so Ill take your advice and leave it for a couple of days before cladding my self up in rubber (purely for safety purposes of course!) and try it then.

Cheers.
  • PS How would I blow dry with a hair drier it if the power is off?! ;-)
  • Good point !!!
    But it can be done.........................................

Switch the MCB for the affected circuit off, the RCD should then stay on.
    Use an extension from a different circuit. The kitchen and living areas are usually on different circuits.
  • Yeah I wasnt being sarcy I am just pretty clueless when it comes to that sort of thing!

I think Ill leave it for a day or so and try it then and if it trips again will use the drier on it.

Cheers for the advice.