Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Sherlock Homes trailer

Directed by Guy Richie and some of it was filmed at The Historic Dockyard in Chatham.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/05/18/must-watch-first-trailer-for-guy-ritchies-sherlock-holmes/

Comments

• Options
    Christ.Basil Rathbone will be turning in his grave.
  • Options
    Mate was third assistant director on this, looking forward to seeing it
  • Options
    Looks pretty good!
  • Options
    Yeah....Right up my alley
  • Options
    I did a few days as medic on the film in Chatham and Greenwich. It looks like a good film, but don't go thinking it will be like the old fashion type of story line!
  • Options
    anyone seen this yet? I'm going this evening.
  • Options
    I saw it on Sunday. Quite enjoyable - not too taxing a film. Thought Robert DJ was good as Sherlock.

Hard to think it's a Guy Ritchie film until you get glimpses of slowed down fight scenes a la Snatch.
  • Options
    Saw it on Sunday - it's about as far removed from the Basil Rathbone films as you can get, but very enjoyable.
  • Options
    Jesus that looks awful. If Conan-Doyle had wanted to write a shit action-buddy-romp he'd probably have come up with a ye olde Tango and Cash. Guy Ritchie has done some awful things to cinema, after Snatch.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Really enjoyed it.

Very much in the spirit of Conan-Doyle's characters as well. In the books, which I love, Holmes is portrayed as an expert fighter, swordsman and shot but subject to long depressions and drug abuse when not working which is how he is in this film.

There is also a lot of humour in the relationship between Holmes and Watson as in the books.

Lots of sly references to the books as well,(Mycroft, the scratches on the fob watch, etc) and Victorian London is well imagined.

No, not hight art but a good film with a sequel promised in the closing scene.

PS saw a trailer for the new Robin Hood film. Think Gladiator in green and you've got it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw it on the way back from Griffin Park the other day.

Very enjoyable, good knock around. I didn't hear Holmes say "elementary" at any point which was pleasing.

A good story and the denouement was all you would want from Holmes.

Excellent relationship between Holmes and Watson and set up nicely for a sequel.

As Henry says, not high art but a good rollicking tale. Yes its unmistakably Richiesque but not in a bad way.

Go see!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Really enjoyed it.

PS saw a trailer for the new Robin Hood film. Think Gladiator in green and you've got it.[/quote]

I was due to do some work on the production of Robin Hood, but couldn't.

Some of the filming involved something like 400 men fighting and about 40 horses on Freshwater Beach in Wales. It was a big production, and looked to be a blockbuster!
  • Options
    Fun Fact: Arthur Conan Doyle is from my town, and the council seem to have seized on it as some way to market a no-mark town like Crowborough.

In reality he was born in Edinburgh and I think he just lived (and died) here at some later point in his life, yet we have a statue of him in the town centre and a cafe called 'Sherlocks'. It's all slightly embaressing. I'd be extremely amused if someone came to Crowborough to visit their idol's 'hometown'.
  • Options
    it looks good will. Prob get on dvd.