Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Speaker of the House to resign this PM

On BBC Radio

Comments

• Options
    Some good news at last !
  • Options
    i dont know enough about politics henners but i have enough about me to know that watching the questions aimed at him in the HOC yesterday he was beaten and TBH i felt an amount of sorrow for him rightly or wrongly he was a beaten man yesterday and it was not enjoyable to watch
  • Options
    I wish someone would resign this PM - he's bloody awful.

See what I did there?
  • Options
    NLA you wouldnt have felt sorry for the guy if you had seen the way he reacted to the two MPs who questioned his RELUCTANCE to act on the MPs expences issue last week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I wish someone would resign this PM - he's bloody awful.

See what I did there?

Good stuff- you should work in marketing you know...
  • Options
    Michael Martin AKA Gorbals Mick was at the forefront of the legal fight to prevent disclosure of MP's expenses, under the 'freedom of information' act introduced by the political party of which he was a member.
    With the recent disclosures of some (most) MP's largesse. It's easy to see why he and others fought it!
    He must go and should be followed by all sitting MP's. A general election is needed for a fresh start.
  • Options
    his treatment of Kate Hoey demonstrated his support for those who exploit the current system and he has to go.

I suspect he will announce his intention to retire at the next election but hopefully there's more than enough MPs to ensure he is gone as soon as a new speaker can be appointed (Frank Field?)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]his treatment of Kate Hoey demonstrated his support for those who exploit the current system and he has to go.

I suspect he will announce his intention to retire at the next election but hopefully there's more than enough MPs to ensure he is gone as soon as a new speaker can be appointed (Frank Field?)

After yesterday's farce I can't see those MPs supporting the no confidence motion settling for him going at the next General Election - up to a year away. it is said that he'll chair the cross party meeting this pm so clearly not going immediately but surely has to to go in the very near future or the rumpus in the Commons will continue. His is the first of many heads that will surely roll.

Field is too good an MP to lose him from the backbenchs, particulalry with welfare and public sector pension reform (on which he speaks with notable objectivity and good sense) urgently needed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]NLA you wouldnt have felt sorry for the guy if you had seen the way he reacted to the two MPs who questioned his RELUCTANCE to act on the MPs expences issue last week.

see i told you i dont know enough i seem to only get half the story

he was a beaten man yesterday

order,order,oooorder

was all he could say
  • Options
    Frank Field very good call. Labour MP who has challanged this Government many times including the protection of British wrokers jobs and many other issues.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i;m confused as to why he's being made the scapegoat for this - or is this the right thing - is he the guv'or of all MP's then.
  • Options
    I think a lot of MP's should go, they are only paying the money back as they got caught. I have to work in London, the taxpayer does not pay my travel and accomodation expenses and rightly so.
  • Options
    As the guy on HIGNFY said, it's interesting how all the MPs are so against a system that they milked dry to their advantage for so many years.
  • Options
    Ledge, he spent OUR money hiring lawyers to attempt to stop the disclosure of this information. He lost and we lost(money) the lawyers won. He then attacked MPs who asked questions about his OFFICES handling of this mess. Also it was his staff that signed off the expence forms.
  • Options
    Martin needed to go but I am outraged that MP`s who have made dodgy claims like David Davies and Menzies Campell have called for him to resign. It was not Martin that submitted their claims. I smell something rotten here and I can see Martin being used as a scapegoat.
  • Options
    Ive been In Ming Campbells flat before and after it was upgraded, it needed it and the money spent was fair, his other expenses for parking space etc I think are also fair as at the time he purchased it he was in remission from cancer and needed to be able to drive and park to do his job,

Like the idea of frank field as speaker, would be a loss though, despite being pushed to the back benches he has done really well from there and this would be lost in the speakers chair.

The question for me is whether to go with an old hand, perhaps Alan Beith or a young'un to shake them up.
  • Options
    Of course Martin is a scapegoat, there has been a Tory whispering campaign against him for years.
  • Options
    The tory gimp who wanted him out was ont he box.. two sentances must have said CHANGE 6 times.. wonder where they got that idea from...
  • Options
    A butcher walks into a barbers and gets his hair cut. When he goes to pay the barber says "No charge today. I am trying to give something back to the community"
    Next morning when the barber opens the shop he finds a parcel containing sausages on his doorstep.
    Later a florist goes into the shop to get his haircut and when he goes to pay the barber says "No charge today. I am trying to give something back to the community" Next morning when the barber goes to work he finds a bunch of flowers on his doorstep. Later that day an MP comes in for a haircut and when he tries to pay the barber says " No charge today. I am trying to give something back to the community". Next morning when the barber arrives at work he finds 37 MP`s on his doorstep looking for a free haircut and receipt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Ledge, he spent OUR money hiring lawyers to attempt to stop the disclosure of this information. He lost and we lost(money) the lawyers won. He then attacked MPs who asked questions about his OFFICES handling of this mess. Also it was his staff that signed off the expence forms.

i don't care too much about politics hence my question so thanks for answeing so he deserves to go basically.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Frank Field is 4 /1 joint favorite. However he is unlikely t get it as this would be the 3rd Labour MP n the trot to be Speaker.

Ane Widacom OMG its still out there is the surprise hat in the ring.
  • Options
    Anne Widdecombe has stated she will retire from politics after the next General Election. I live in her constituency and we have a prospective parliamentary candidate in waiting. So i wouldn't waste a bet on her!
  • Options
    Lets not forget that the speaker is a symptom of the malaise, with his passing we the people and Brown, Clegg and Cameron should continue to pursue the perpetrators of these offences against the people.
  • Options
    Scapegoat.
  • Options
    He should go but only after the other fraudsters and those who directed him to act a certain way if that is what happened.
  • Options
    The speaker had made too many enemies over the years and they were queueing up to finish him off. I can say from personal experience that he is an absolute cnit. He is a so called man of the people who once he had a sniff of power abused it to his own advantage. He also treats the staff like shiite and am glad he has gone, the fat jock fecker.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]The speaker had made too many enemies over the years and they were queueing up to finish him off. I can say from personal experience that he is an absolute cnit. He is a so called man of the people who once he had a sniff of power abused it to his own advantage. He also treats the staff like shiite and am glad he has gone, the fat jock fecker.

LOL, but apart from that Steve ...........!

For what it's worth, I too think he had to go. But the way it has all come about - although partly of his own making by not doing the honourable thing sooner - is nothing short of disgusting. The gutless fecking MP's who were either fraudulent or complicit in the fraudulent goings on were circling like a pack of wolves waiting to rip him to shreads, pouncing on the opportunity to spill some blood to soothe the publics thirst for it and at the same time trying to mask their own obvious failings.

So much so that I actually had a degree of sympathy for him. I don't like unfair fights, and 600-odd versus one isn't fair odds - even if the one is a complete cnut.

A bigger bunch of arseholes you will never find all in one place, at least not outside of an audition for Britains Got Talent!
  • Options
    Too true off it. As much as I hated him as a person, it is a bit off the way they are all blaming him for the fact they have been caught with their trotters in the till. Though it is him who over the years when the fees office in the commons have raised issues about dodgy expense claims has told them to shut up and get on with their jobs. It seems that a lot of em are hoping to attach all the blame to one person. At the end of the day, all MPs expenses should be published online to allow voters to make their own minds up about whether they are reasonable or not.