Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who remembers Frank Haydock?

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
There is an interesting feature on Frank Haydock today on the OS.

charlton34267news1.jpg

I have vague memories of him but I had no idea he came from Man United and had played alongside Law and Charlton. Also, if someone had told me the manager before Bob Stokeo was someone called Frank Hill I would have no idea who he was talking about.

Nice picture though showing my favorite kit and the old east terrace. Did Charlton use to train at the Valley in those days?

Comments

• Options
    great kit
  • Options
    i love that top! Anyone know where i can buy a replica?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]i love that top! Anyone know where i can buy a replica?[/quote]

http://www.toffs.com/invt/1065
  • Options
    I remember Frank Haydock as a commanding defender who was bought to replace Marvin Hinton who had moved to Chelsea in August '63. Thanks Red, I'll have a read of that. Yes, they did train at the Valley , including pounding up (& down) the terrace to raise fitness levels.If memory serves me right that shirt was only used for two seasons before they went back to plain red.
  • Options
    Frank is still is in contact with the club and often attends old players reunions. He has a real soft spot for us.
    A true gent and he was as tough as old boots on the pitch....if Frank wasn't wearing a head bandage or plasters over his cut eyes then you know he'd had an easy day....he used to get more cuts than Henry Cooper!
  • Options
    Frank Haydock was a very good cerntre half and tough as old boots. He played for Charlton for about 3 years and was one of the better centre halves in Division 2.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Frank Haydock was a very good cerntre half and tough as old boots. He played for Charlton for about 3 years and was one of the better centre halves in Division 2.

Totally agree. I was dissapointed when he left.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention the most important thing of all....he was a bloody good player!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]great kit
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]i love that top! Anyone know where i can buy a replica?

I actually had one of the shirts at that time and used to wear it for training. The stitching started to come undone on the red shoulder flash and so I eventually threw it away. Shame I didn't keep it.
  • Options
    Frank Hill was a hero. When he took over, if I remember correctly, we were bottom of the league at Christmas and heading where we will be next season. After Christmas we got about 30 points (only 2 points for a win, remember) and finished halfway up the league. Shame we couldn't get anybody like that this year!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tiger Hill, they called him!
  • Options
    Frank Haydock was one of my boyhood heroes. I started going to the Valley in 1962 and Frank signed for us when Marvin Hinton went to Chelsea in '63 I think. A superb centre half who used to hitch his shorts up on his hips, as was the fashion in those days. We had some really decent players then, little Sam Lawrie, Roy Matthews, Mike Kenning, and of course the great Eddie Firmani, just back from Italy. Good to hear Frank is still around.
  • Options
    I started going to The Valley in 1961 so just remember him. That kit is universally accepted as our best ever by young and old alike and I can never understand why we have not used it again. The club would sell shedloads of replicas I think. A petition perhaps ?
  • Options
    I think Frank Haydock was sold to Pompey by Stokoe and Ian King and Colin Appleton were brought in from Leicester
    as replacements . Would have been at the end of the 65/66 season.
    I recall Haydock playing for Pompey along with John Milkins Nicky Jennings and John Trebilcock
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Haydock had a hard job coming in to replace Marvin Hinton but he showed himself to be a very capable second division centre half.

The one thing he lacked was pace. I can remember him being left for dead a few times. Had be been a bit quicker Man Utd would not have released him. The rest of his game was very good and as others have said he had commitment and guts by the bucketful.