Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ears

MCSMCS
edited May 2009 in Not Sports Related
Yo.

I am going on me holibobs in Sept, and i am flying!!! Yes me, your resident BA Baracus, flying!! Not happy about it, but hey ho, its a hol, and to be fair i need one!!

My question to the Charlton life masses is thus!! Why do your ears hurt when you fly, this gives me particular stress and pain, maybe cos i am wimp, maybe something else, such as ear wax or some such!! If i were to go and get me ear oles syringed by me quack, would this help the ear pain on a air plane!??! Or is it something i am stuck with!! I don't let any water ever get near my ears, in the bath i will hold me ears if i go under, but mainly shower now a days to avoid water in ear syndrome, i hate it!!

What to do!??!

Comments

• Options
    The pain is caused by the change in pressure either side of your ear drum caused by flying. The way to alieviate this is to keep yawning during that takeoff landing period when pressure changes are at their most.
  • Options
    Suck a boiled sweet, I think it works.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Aircraft are pressurized. thats about it.

(to late as per norm)
  • Options
    The long awaited and once promised ear thread. Suck a sweet is my advice.
  • Options
    MCS.........Have you ever tried sucking a fishermans friend ? ;0)
  • Options
    MCS, I have to take a flight most weeks and invariably get ear pressure problem when descending. As others have said, sucking a sweet is a good solution.

However, I have found that the best solution is a combination of yawning and swallowing - you may look a bit of a prat but who cares if it works - anyway many others have the same problem.
  • Options
    I dont care if i look a prat, i am ginger for pitys sake lol

Anyway we are flying first class (nice) so will be wankered anyway (More champaign Mr Caddock, oh dont mind if i do lol) have to be very bladdered anyway to fly, so that will take the edge off. Last time i flew, it was longy to Canada, i got worzled before, and it wasn't that bad, still shat me slef, but was just about bearable, but on the descend it well hurt, and i sucked many a fishermens friend SHG!! lol

Spose by the advice of you goons, i am just going to have to grin and bear it, yawn alot, and have a mouthful of fishermen!
  • Options
    Sucking on sweets don't do it for me.

Activate your gag reflex. If you're struggling to do that I've got some wicked footage on my phone that will help you, seeing as you're going away same sort of time as me I have all summer to collect more stuff to send, then make a sort of playlist for the critical times.

Sorted mate, just count on your pal Dicko
  • Options
    Got to agree with stonemuse, but also find doing goldfish impressions helps. It may also be worth having a large hot coffee just before you fly, as the steam will help clear the tubes between your mouth and your ears, making the repressurisation a bit easier.
  • Options
    Oh ffs MCS you wimp! You'll be too busy worrying about your little'un screaming her lungs off as her ears hurt! & if she's not going with you, then you deserve the pain for leaving her behind! ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i use the vicks decongestant stuff that you spray up your nose about 45 mins b4 it is is due to land, seems to do the trick for me!
  • Options
    Get them syringed mate......

I have had the kind of pain I can't even describe once when decending into rome, got the row of sweat on the brow as was in absolute agony...

get them syringed and do all the other stuff and youll be sweet.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Oh ffs MCS you wimp! You'll be too busy worrying about your little'un screaming her lungs off as her ears hurt! & if she's not going with you, then you deserve the pain for leaving her behind! ;-)

Littluns should be banned from business/first class !!!

Just hold your nose as if you are under water, and try to blow out of it at same time.
    This will equalise the pressure inside and out of your ears.
    Even if you try it now you can feel it equalising.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ollie

I used to be in agony for hours after a flight, the old lug 'oles dont like flying! Someone recommended these Ear Planes and I've used them on probably half a dozen flights since - completely cured the problem. Just stick them in when the plane is heading out to takeoff, take them out once it reaches cruising altitude and then pop them back in as soon as the descent starts...

Can find them in Boots/Superdrugs etc

unbranded-earplanes.jpg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]

Spose by the advice of you goons, i am just going to have to grin and bear it, yawn alot, and have a mouthful of fishermen!

No change there then!