Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Beehive at New Eltham

Not my usual boozer but have been down to watch away matches when we used to be on Sky and when I've been waiting to colect a takeaway. I thought it had been done up in the last year but I popped in this lunchtime and it looks like the fixtures and fittings have been gutted, anyone know what's happening there?

Comments

• Options
    Used to use it years ago & even then it always used to look run down. Its the ambiance, its deliberate ;-)
  • Options
    LOL!
  • Options
    Allegedly where Curbs did a few deals with RM
  • Options
    locally known as 'the wasp nest'
  • Options
    It's my local..or it would be if i could be arsed to drink there.....I used to go in there before they knocked it through into one bar years ago,not been in there since
  • Options
    another major refurb due, not really the decor that needs changing imo but the people in it
  • Options
    Thats my local, aint gone in it though :P
  • Options
    It reminds me of a cross between Deliverance and East Enders. A mate of mine reckons that you get 50 punters in there but only 2 surnames.
  • Options
    Eltham pub near coldharbour in run down a bit shocker!
  • Options
    My local local got knocked down and is turning into some flats
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]My local local got knocked down and is turning into some flats

royal eltham, welcome inn, king and queen.......................
  • Options
    I heard it's being turned into a gastropub - I kid you not!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]My local local got knocked down and is turning into some flats

royal eltham, welcome inn, king and queen.......................

King & Queen went years ago
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]I heard it's being turned into a gastropub - I kid you not!

probably trying to do a Royal then..
  • Options
    Yeah the Royal Eltham, I live up the slope across the other side of the road from it
  • Options
    Anyone aware of The Farmhouse on Beanshaw in what I assume is New Eltham, just off Green Lane near Chislehurst. I always assumed the place was dead but went in there about a year ago and they got big screen Sky, was fairly busy and friendly and even handed out bowls of roast potatoes at half time! I either caught it on a good day or it is a bit of a dark horse.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Frank Butcher[/cite]Anyone aware of The Farmhouse on Beanshaw in what I assume is New Eltham, just off Green Lane near Chislehurst. I always assumed the place was dead but went in there about a year ago and they got big screen Sky, was fairly busy and friendly and even handed out bowls of roast potatoes at half time! I either caught it on a good day or it is a bit of a dark horse.[/quote]

Thats a 5min walk from my house aswell, I never knew I had some many pubs within walking distance :O
  • Options
    don't worry nathan.
    them pubs within walking distance soon become 'definately need a cab home' pubs.
  • Options
    Drove past The Beanshaw today and they were taking a beer delivery.
  • Options
    Beehive is - or at least was - a complete shit hole.

Nice enough looking boozer from the outside but the vermin that infest it need castrating to stop their kind ever breeding again.

I know because I lived in the road next to it and could see the bar from my bog window.

Shitheap khazi and I would never set foot in there again.

Apart from that .....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beehive is - or at least was - a complete shit hole.

Nice enough looking boozer from the outside but the vermin that infest it need castrating to stop their kind ever breeding again.

I know because I lived in the road next to it and could see the bar from my bog window.

Shitheap khazi and I would never set foot in there again.

Apart from that .....
  • Options
    I can only echo that ............ clearly!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Butcher[/cite]Anyone aware of The Farmhouse on Beanshaw in what I assume is New Eltham, just off Green Lane near Chislehurst. I always assumed the place was dead but went in there about a year ago and they got big screen Sky, was fairly busy and friendly and even handed out bowls of roast potatoes at half time! I either caught it on a good day or it is a bit of a dark horse.

Thats a 5min walk from my house aswell, I never knew I had some many pubs within walking distance :O

I used to go in The Farmhouse years ago when I had relly's living in Beanshaw.

Then after we used to go to The White Horse, Chislehurst.
    Long time since I've been anywhere near though.
  • Options
    the beehive is just scum
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The Beehive, Footscray Road, SE9 was without doubt the best pub in the area throughout the 70's, 80's and most of the 90's.
    From 1971 - 1996 it was a Courage managed pub and the Tenant "Landlord" was a man called Terry Freak.
    He ran the place superbly, there was no scum and no trouble there at all. It had a defined Public and Saloon Bar area. There was no TV, no Jukebox, no Pool Table, and most importantly for a real pub - no food! Apart from a few cheese rolls at lunchtime.
    You never saw Terry at lunchtime but he'd open the pub at 5.30 Mon-Fri, he'd serve till 7pm and then you wouldn't see him again till after 9pm when he'd run the pub from the punters side of the bar.
    On a Saturday night it wouldn't open till 7pm, just like Old Kent Road pubs in those days, after closing at 3pm. Terry would always appear later in the evening in a smart suit, collar and tie. The pub was packed on a Saturday night, local people used it for a meeting place before parties or dinner at restaurants etc.
    The best thing about the Beehive was Sunday Lunchtimes, in the good old days before the new licensing laws came in, 12-2pm on a Sunday was fantastic. The place was choca, snacks on the bar, loads of bar staff and if you were lucky you got served after 2pm. The atmosphere was cracking. Again Terry, and all his crew, were suited and booted. The change in drinking hours has ruined the traditional Sunday IMO.
    Terry would occasionally lay on some entertainment on a Saturday night. Obviously Frank Carson's appearance in 1985 was the big one but also we had Joe Goodman and other comics and singers.
    I had my 21st Birthday drinks in The Beehive, and also my Stag Night in 1991, which to Terry and all those who were there remains a legendary night.
    Terry and Joan left The Beehive in 1996 and the place basically went downhill immediately.
    The Beehive was in those days a proper Old Kent Road pub in SE9.
    Terry, sadly now widowed, runs a smaller pub in SE London these days, probably now the best pub in London as a whole. If you know pubs in SE London you know which one.
    I have known Terry since I was a small boy and will be enjoying a drink in his pub later on today.
    When I drive past the Beehive these days, it almost makes me cry.
  • Options
    nice post, i guess it's true with a lot of pubs, they hold much a memory for many people
  • Options
    awful boozer, always a good idea that when badly wrong, if they turn it into a gastropub then they are going to need a sea change in punters to make it work.

The Dacre Arms, in case you were wondering ref Mr Freak.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]It's my local..or it would be if i could be arsed to drink there.....I used to go in there before they knocked it through into one bar years ago,not been in there since
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]The Beehive, Footscray Road, SE9 was without doubt the best pub in the area throughout the 70's, 80's and most of the 90's.
    From 1971 - 1996 it was a Courage managed pub and the Tenant "Landlord" was a man called Terry Freak.
    He ran the place superbly, there was no scum and no trouble there at all. It had a defined Public and Saloon Bar area. There was no TV, no Jukebox, no Pool Table, and most importantly for a real pub - no food! Apart from a few cheese rolls at lunchtime.
    You never saw Terry at lunchtime but he'd open the pub at 5.30 Mon-Fri, he'd serve till 7pm and then you wouldn't see him again till after 9pm when he'd run the pub from the punters side of the bar.
    On a Saturday night it wouldn't open till 7pm, just like Old Kent Road pubs in those days, after closing at 3pm. Terry would always appear later in the evening in a smart suit, collar and tie. The pub was packed on a Saturday night, local people used it for a meeting place before parties or dinner at restaurants etc.
    The best thing about the Beehive was Sunday Lunchtimes, in the good old days before the new licensing laws came in, 12-2pm on a Sunday was fantastic. The place was choca, snacks on the bar, loads of bar staff and if you were lucky you got served after 2pm. The atmosphere was cracking. Again Terry, and all his crew, were suited and booted. The change in drinking hours has ruined the traditional Sunday IMO.
    Terry would occasionally lay on some entertainment on a Saturday night. Obviously Frank Carson's appearance in 1985 was the big one but also we had Joe Goodman and other comics and singers.
    I had my 21st Birthday drinks in The Beehive, and also my Stag Night in 1991, which to Terry and all those who were there remains a legendary night.
    Terry and Joan left The Beehive in 1996 and the place basically went downhill immediately.
    The Beehive was in those days a proper Old Kent Road pub in SE9.
    Terry, sadly now widowed, runs a smaller pub in SE London these days, probably now the best pub in London as a whole. If you know pubs in SE London you know which one.
    I have known Terry since I was a small boy and will be enjoying a drink in his pub later on today.
    When I drive past the Beehive these days, it almost makes me cry.

Yeah it was a nice boozer when Terry had it....looks like Chavs 'R' Us now
  • Options
    The Dacre Arms...a proper pub indeed! Quite Charlton orientated too....a good few Old Roan lads drink in there pre and post home games.
    Barney the resident West Highland Terrier is also a real character.....some folk think he's the landlord....well to be honest he often acts like it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Butcher[/cite]Anyone aware of The Farmhouse on Beanshaw in what I assume is New Eltham, just off Green Lane near Chislehurst. I always assumed the place was dead but went in there about a year ago and they got big screen Sky, was fairly busy and friendly and even handed out bowls of roast potatoes at half time! I either caught it on a good day or it is a bit of a dark horse.

Was in there the night of the heavy snow fall back in Feb, bit run down but great atmosphere (karaoke/dsco). all the crowd that used to drink in the Porcupine on a Sunday now go in there apparently, as the guvnor moved pubs, god knows why, Porcupine much nicer IMO