Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dartford Crossing

BDLBDL
edited May 2009 in Not Sports Related
Went through the crossing at the weekend and noticed lots of new cameras.

Turns out they are SPECS cameras - measuring average speed. Not a problem during rush hour, but out of that....

They go live this week.

Comments

• Options
    do they still need to be signposted that average speed are in operation?
  • Options
    Yes - Signs have ben put in, but were covered in grey paint - Signs underneath poles stated that cameras were not in use.

http://btst.co.uk/QE2BridgeCameras/
  • Options
    Thanks BDL. Don't use it as much as we used to but good to know.
  • Options
    Same here - used to be on it every day. Just another money making scheme!
  • Options
    Just another money making scheme! ......
    exactly, perhaps the councils should invest in a better traffic flow management system and then people could get to where they want to without this hassel, the speed limit is reduced along there anyway, the bollards are still on the road from the A2 London to Dartford two years after it was completed, for a toll that was to pay for the construction this is typical of the money grabbing treasury! mile the mug motorist....
  • Options
    Yes, the toll was supposed to finish once all costs and interest had been settled but the then Government passed the 2000 Transport Act and by using the principle of road pricing to control traffic congestion (as introduced by the Act) changed the toll to a charge. So now a French consortium runs the crossing on behalf of the Highways Agency who get all the dosh for the Government who promised that 'all the proceeds from the charging scheme, after operation and maintenance costs, will be spent on transport schemes': i.e schemes nationwide not necessarilly local ones. In '07/08 nearly 54 million vehicles used the crossing so there's a few bob they made out of us!(Recommened reading; M25:Travelling Clockwise, an eccentric little book what my brother wrote)
  • Options
    Well the crossing is a highways agency road and not a council road, so it is run by HM govt. Agree re: paying for construction and the ridiculous rise to £1.50 which has caused huge extra congestion. However if there are average speed cameras and they are signed you have to be seriously thick to pick up points and fines on your license.
  • Options
    I don't think anybody has a massive problem with the speed cameras being there, it's the blantant, unashamed lies we're told about why they're there. You get comments like "it'll control the flow of traffic" when the average speed throughout a 24 hour period is probably little more than 20mph, so a 50mph camera is only going to catch people speeding at 2am. You also here about the number of accidents, well the only accidents I've heard of are idiots hitting the kiosks, which I doubt is speed related. I would wager the vast majority of accidents are caused my drivers suddenly realising they want to be in a different queue (either because auto/manual toll or they spot an empty kiosk 4 lanes over) and swerving in front of other vehicles.

Claims that the tolls control traffic flow are a lie too, unless control means make it stationary for 3 miles in each direction for around 5 hours a day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]I don't think anybody has a massive problem with the speed cameras being there, it's the blantant, unashamed lies we're told about why they're there. You get comments like "it'll control the flow of traffic" when the average speed throughout a 24 hour period is probably little more than 20mph, so a 50mph camera is only going to catch people speeding at 2am. You also here about the number of accidents, well the only accidents I've heard of are idiots hitting the kiosks, which I doubt is speed related. I would wager the vast majority of accidents are caused my drivers suddenly realising they want to be in a different queue (either because auto/manual toll or they spot an empty kiosk 4 lanes over) and swerving in front of other vehicles.

Claims that the tolls control traffic flow are a lie too, unless control means make it stationary for 3 miles in each direction for around 5 hours a day.

Seen a few accidents on the bridge caused by drivers admiring the view.
    Agree with you about who and when people will be caught but if there are cameras there and you know it, it is a bit silly to recieve a fine.
  • Options
    Much appreciated..............I use the crossing twice a day....I had not picked up the change. Tonight I shall leave work at 9pm and would normally sail over at 70 mph.

Thanks for the heads up !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and just when you think they can't get more money from you woolwich ferry to be tolled
  • Options
    Came back from my sister's in Chelmsford the other week, I've got a tag and arrived at the toll booth at 21:58:30 and saw about 5 cars sitting at the entrance to the booth waiting for 22:00:00 so that they could go through free.
    Many years ago I got struck behind a woman writing a cheque.
    If there were no toll booths, then we wouldn't have half the jams that in the area.
  • Options
    Thanks for that I am going over to Essex today and use it a lot over the course of the year.
  • Options
    Perhaps if they had built a bridge at Woolwich after the second world war as proposed the area would not be the 'desolation row' it has been the past 30 years.

Transport infrastructure or the lack of it has relegated this whole area for decades, with a lack of investment and enterprise . No tube, No expressway to London, No cross London transfer.
    Even the A2 to Blackheath/Kidbrooke is a daily nightmare for business and commuters. The ferry boat was reduced to one boat last week or so,

Used to live on Blackheath, now it is a permanent traffic jam during the week, cannot park in Greenwich without paying, so do not go there......
  • Options
    Hmm ...... sounds like too many cars on the road to me.

Anyone want to volunteer giving theirs up?
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Hmm ...... sounds like too many cars on the road to me.

Anyone want to volunteer giving theirs up?

And rely on Public Transport? - It's ok if you live in Greater London, but out here in the sticks it's not very good at all!