Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reformatting PC

Is it easy ?

Always had people do it for me and never taken much notice just made the tea.

My PC is running like a sack of S**t and needs it big time

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Is it easy ?

Always had people do it for me and never taken much notice just made the tea.

My PC is running like a sack of S**t and needs it big time
    I need to do this to my lappytop.
  • Options
    I'd have thought reformatting it would be a bit drastic, I would try a cleaning program first.
  • Options
    It's easy to do, but, as budgie said, a bit drastic. Look into performance enhancing tools that clean up your registry and get rid of all the sh*t that you pick up from day to day use. Delete unwanted software, add more RAM
  • Options
    its riddled with viruses

Run plenty that have detected them and got rid so it says but still have problems.

Internet pages just shut down or freeze for minutes at a time
    PC when you go to shutdown just hangs come down in the morning and i have a black screen and egg timer

I have cleaned it got rid all all unwanted programmes deleted all music and saved all photos to memory stick, cleared out files done fragmenter and run spyware etc

You name it i have done it mate who is good at IT says to reformat said he would do it 4 weeks ago and its just getting worse, so thought i would try it myself
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]its riddled with viruses

Run plenty that have detected them and got rid so it says but still have problems.

Internet pages just shut down or freeze for minutes at a time
    PC when you go to shutdown just hangs come down in the morning and i have a black screen and egg timer

I have cleaned it got rid all all unwanted programmes deleted all music and saved all photos to memory stick, cleared out files done fragmenter and run spyware etc

You name it i have done it mate who is good at IT says to reformat said he would do it 4 weeks ago and its just getting worse, so thought i would try it myself

Very similar issues with my laptop...

Thanks
    Limewire.
  • Options
    Got the installation media? Piece of piss - will take you two hours to format and reinstall XP. Even easier if its a wally-box (i.e. has the Operating System installed on a 'recovery' partition) it will be even quicker and you won't have to sod around getting drivers for all your hardware.

if you don't have the installation CD and there is no recovery partition you're SOL - you'll either have to get a moody copy of XP from somewhere, install Ubuntu or talk to the people you got the PC/Lappy from to see if they'll provide you with the installation media.
  • Options
    Have you tried deleting all your temporary internet files and cookies?

To do that click Tools from the menu bar then select 'Internet Options' then click the Browsing history 'Delete' Button and delete temporary internet files, cookies, history and form data.
  • Options
    run a deep scan disk first
  • Options
    you what?

I have installation stuff i think?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stick the disk in, RTFM and reboot. Follow what it says about reinstalling your system either in the manual (little paper book provided with the CD) or - if you have a default installation (you probably do) by using a built-in recovery partition (it will be under 'recover your system' or some such gumph in the Start menu somewhere)

If your machine is as fubared as you say it is then you could spend days trying to get all the shite off of it - especially if you don't have a Danny what you're doing. Copy all your data (music, documents etc) onto an external USB drive and reinstall - it will save you hours of frustration. Modern-day malware is much, much more difficult to remove than just deleting your temporary internet files or running a couple of scanners. Its persistent, invasive and resilient. Take the word of someone who has worked in IT for ten years - its easier to reinstall your machine from scratch.
  • Options
    run all scans deleted cookie history etc
  • Options
    open 'my computer' - right click on hard drive (c) - select tools - tick 'error check' and 'repair/recover'
    restart computer to run disc check.

worth a try as this will sort bad blocks etc. that could be causing problems.
  • Options
    nice one peeps
    Will try all mentioned in the hope i sort it out
  • Options
    Tried Dell PC Tuneup yet ? Should be able to have a months free trial. Link to your free trial should already be installed onyour pc somewhere under the Dell help. Worth a try.
  • Options
    i'll give it a shot.
  • Options
    Nice one will try that as well