Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Patrick Collins on Roy Keane

Yet again the incomparable Patrick Collins hits the nail fair and square on the head, this bloke is the best in the business by a long, long way IMHO.

Patrick Collins on Roy Keane's arrival at Ipswich:

He hasn't changed, not a bit. He remains a study in surly self-absorption. He aimed a couple of slights at Mark Hughes and Steve Bruce and sneered at his former international colleague Tony Cascarino.

He spoke of his fear of losing, his burning desire to achieve, his implacable independence, as if he possessed the monopoly on those qualities.

And he switched on lots of icily dramatic stares. In short, he produced a typical Roy Keane performance.

The act is wearing tediously thin.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Brilliant stuff.

Comments

• Was it Graham Taylor, or anyway one of the 5Live pundits, who said that a man who has a beard one week & a clean chin the next is surely in a quandary?
  • I hate Keane with a passion.
  • Never forgave him for walking out on The Paddies (ooops is it OK to say that?) in the World Cup....inexcusable IMHO.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]He spoke of his fear of losing, his burning desire to achieve, his implacable independence, as if he possessed the monopoly on those qualities.
    This is what pees me off most about Keane. No-one minds a bit of selfishness and focus but he goes too far.

Good fare from Mr Collins, like you say OA he's best in business by a long way.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Never forgave him for walking out on The Paddies (ooops is it OK to say that?) in the World Cup....inexcusable IMHO.

LOL...careful....you aint been back long, LOL

I cant forgive him for calling McCarthy an English c*** and getting away with it.
  • edited May 2009
    How he got away with that I'll never know!
  • Keane likes to talk the talk, though history will remember him as a self obsessed, though great player, terrible temprament and ultimately too volatile to work effectively with others. Without Alex Ferguson, he would never achieved the same.

I imagine he wll walk out or get canned from Ipswich within the next 18 months and lots of interesting dirt wil be dished by the team he leaves behind.

His ego means he builds himself up to an impossible degree, which only makes his failure more likely.
  • edited May 2009
    I remember keith gillespie getting asked on the Radio so come on then you have played with both who'd win the fight Keane or Shearer que a long silence............ the geordie without doubt laughed like hell i did
  • I find Collins's performances on Sunday Supplement to be entirely odious and devoid of any insight into the game, whatsoever. If you take what he says about Keane
    He spoke of his fear of losing, his burning desire to achieve, his implacable independence, as if he possessed the monopoly on those qualities

It's just made up. How could he say those things in a way that might satify little Pat that he acknowledges that other people possess those qualities? The man worked closely with Clough and Sir and was lauded for having just those qualities, so it seems normal to me, that they come over loud and clear. I kind of doubt that he believes that Sir Alex does not. Maybe someone could put me right and dig up a quote, from Keane rather than something bleched out of Collins's head, that proves me wrong.

If the bloke was bland then Collins and his ilk would bemoan the lack of characters in the game.
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]I remember keith gillespie getting asked on the Radio so come on then you have played with both Keane or Shearer que a long silence............ the geordie without doubt laughed like hell i did

Bourne, do you want to edit that so it makes sense... ;-D
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Yet again the incomparable Patrick Collins hits the nail fair and square on the head, this bloke is the best in the business by a long, long way IMHO.

Patrick Collins on Roy Keane's arrival at Ipswich:

He hasn't changed, not a bit. He remains a study in surly self-absorption. He aimed a couple of slights at Mark Hughes and Steve Bruce and sneered at his former international colleague Tony Cascarino.

He spoke of his fear of losing, his burning desire to achieve, his implacable independence, as if he possessed the monopoly on those qualities.

And he switched on lots of icily dramatic stares. In short, he produced a typical Roy Keane performance.

The act is wearing tediously thin.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Brilliant stuff.

Surely the "incomparable" Patrick Collins could think up something more original and incisive than this?

Just reads to me as standard journalistic stuff, trotting out all the usual cliches, mind you if it is for the Daily Mail then it probably comes across as an in-depth psychological analysis.

Patrick Collins isn't the worst writer in football, but he's a long, long way from being the best.
  • He's the best, cause he is Charlton and he's Mick dad
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Never forgave him for walking out on The Paddies (ooops is it OK to say that?) in the World Cup....inexcusable IMHO.

LOL...careful....you aint been back long, LOL

I cant forgive him for calling McCarthy an English c*** and getting away with it.

How he got away with that I'll never know!

Who said he called him that, I've read McCarthy's book, Keane's book and Quinn's book, they all talk about the bust up. Not one of them used that phrase or any thing like it.
  • DA9DA9
    edited May 2009
    Who said he called him that, I've read McCarthy's book, Keane's book and Quinn's book, they all talk about the bust up. Not one of them used that phrase or any thing like it.[/quote]

It was reported elsewhere at the time by people there that Keane used those words, and ones like "up your Boll***", but Dunphy watered it down for his book.
  • How you view the piece in the end comes down to how you feel about the man yourself (Keane). For me it sums up very well what Keane is all about.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]How you view the piece in the end comes down to how you feel about the man yourself (Keane). For me it sums up very well what Keane is all about.

Exactly, and some of the people who have quoted Keane as saying it were team mates (Quinn), so it's not a witch hunt because I dislike him, some of his colleagues and future employers quote the outburst.
  • herd he has brought a place own Folkstone ----loads of places to put horse brasses, kettles, pots and pans and has kennels for his dags.
  • Up yer bollocks
    What a great phrase