Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst sports commentator ...ever?

The two idiots on BBC Radio Essex this morning doing ball-by-ball commentary on the Essex v Kent game at Chelmsford, managed to describe an entire 45 minute opening spell by new South African signing Wayne Parnell as being bowled by Stefan Jones.

Then when the PA announced that Jones was actually coming on to bowl, there was a lot of huffing and puffing in the commentary box and comments such as ''that can't be right .. . we've just had Stefan Jones ...not sure what is going on here...''

Then someone obviously handed them a message and one of them said : "Apparently it was Wayne Parnell bowling. I've never heard of him.'' He then turned to his colleague and asked : ''Do you know who he is?'' And commentator no 2 didn't have a clue , either.

An easy mistake to make, obviously. After all, Parnell is 19, bowls left arm and is genuinely quick.Jones is 35, a right-armer and little more than medium pace these days!

Absolutely bloody hilarious - and all paid for out of our license fees.

Any other nominations for the stupidest sports commentators ever?

Comments

• clive tyldsley. He makes Motson look knowledgable and clever.
  • edited April 2009
    The woman on the Charlton commentary on the interweb thingy. She. Is. Shite.

But for all time - all sports - it has to be Kevin Cadle. Useless twat - Sky have him presenting American Football as the studio anchor - presumably on the basis that 'he's American'.
  • Does that woman still do any games on Match of the day? Made me cringe.
  • Tony Gubba: big four loving, patronising tw@

Agree on Tyldesley as well!
  • Oh where to start on this one but, David "Honest, I wasn't curb crawling please don't caution me again..." Pleat, generally makes me want to stick pencils in my ears whenever he's on.

Pointless, unlike the pencils.
  • Barry Davies for me.........

when commentating on Tennis.

Thankfully he doesnt get the chance that often
  • What about the Charlton web announcer that can't pronounce his "R's" ???
    ;-)
  • BDLBDL
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]What about the Charlton web announcer that can't pronounce his "R's" ???
    ;-)

BBC London actually!! Could you imagine if Rufus was stil playing for us??

Could nominate two members on here, one having commentated on a Wembley final!!! ;-)
  • cheers dave ;-)
  • BDLBDL
    edited April 2009
    Wasn't talking about you Rob ;)

You're not on the radio................................................................yet!
  • Sponsored links:

• As I have said before, (ex Newcastle clogger), Ray Hudson who commentates for GolTV over here in North America..............like listening to fingernails being slowly drawn down a blackboard, only not as entertaining...he's on the verge of tears no matter what game he is commentating on, if I hear his stupid accent and ridiculous analogies the TV is in immediate danger of being heaved through my lounge window...

Terrible teriible stuff...........
  • Ah good to know , thanks dave, I loved the bolton commentator who used to start singing oh owen owen. owen owen owen owen coyle. Watching tylsley the other night when united played porto "hulk, he really is incredible" and "quadrant, good word that"
  • She's gone now that the BBC have the F1 Grand Prix back, but (as mentioned on an old thread) the woman who used to ask the likes of David Coulthard 'how they felt ' after being rammed at the first corner and then having to slog backto the pits, usually either in heavy rain or blazing sunshine. She usually followed up that dim-wit question with 'whose fault do think it was?' Sorry but her name has been wiped from the memory bank!
  • Nigel,

I used to listen to Kent Commentaries which were broadcast on BBC local radio and that sort of thing was fairly common place.

Clearly the Beeb seem to use local radio as a testing ground for would be commentators. No wonder there are few who make it to the national level.
  • ALAN GREEN ALAN GREEN ALAN GREEN ALAN GREEN ALAN GREEN
    ALAN GREEN ALAN GREEN ALAN GREEN ALAN GREEN ALAN GREEN
  • Couldn't agree more. It's Alan Green without a shadow of a doubt.
  • Chirpy beat me to it. Alan f***ing Green. At least with Clive Tyldesley there is often a radio alternative (or you can just watch the pictures).

But, like many refs, Alan Green clearly thinks people have tuned in to hear his whining little voice. The sad thing is, the BBC - which gets scared of its "talent" after a few years - encourages him to do it, when it could just drop him and he'd have nowhere else to go.
  • The irony is that Green slates refs for thinking they're the centre of the game. Piss poor commentator.
  • I'm surprised Brian Moore isn't on this list yet. Nice bloke etc but clueless commentator. "Oh, it's a goal," usually on the end of a great move or penetrating cross when it was almost inevitable.
  • [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]I'm surprised Brian Moore isn't on this list yet. Nice bloke etc but clueless commentator. "Oh, it's a goal," usually on the end of a great move or penetrating cross when it was almost inevitable.

Brian Moore - Absolute Gentleman.
  • Sponsored links:

• So far, I think my Radio Essex bozos win.

There are some clowns mentoned above - but have any of them ever spent a 45 minute spell of commentary telling us a player is somebody else entirely, as Radio Essex did yesterday ?
  • Currently, John Motson. Needs to retire asap.
  • [cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]Currently, John Motson. Needs to kick the proverbial bucket asap.

His voice makes my ears bleed
  • edited April 2009
    Emma Jones for the increasingly shite BBC London. She is clueless, states the obvious and has THE most grating tones ever bar absolutely none. How she ever got the gig is baffling, whenever she pops up I turn off and when she talks about Charlton I end up doing the same. Absolutely horrifyingly dire. It's fair to asume I don't hold in high regard and nor should any right thinking fan! Clive Tyldesley must get a mention as he is a tribute act to Motson with none of the style.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]I'm surprised Brian Moore isn't on this list yet. Nice bloke etc but clueless commentator. "Oh, it's a goal," usually on the end of a great move or penetrating cross when it was almost inevitable.[/quote]

Brian Moore - Absolute Gentleman.[/quote]

Totally agree with BDL. Brian Moore a legend and a gent, and their is nothing wrong with stating "It's a goal" imo.
  • Bit unfair to include Motson,IMO. The difference between Motty and the clowns on BBC Radio Essex who were the launch pad for this discussion, is that when Motty is commentating on , say, a match involving obscure players from Albania or somewhere, he spends days in advance learning ther names, their career records etc. He may be dull, but there is nobody who is better prepAred and well-researched.

These guys on Radio Essex hadn't even bothered to fnd out the name of Kent's new South African signing. Indeed, they didn't even know Kent had made a new signing, despite the fact it had been a major news item on the BBC Sport cricket website a week earlier and widely reported in the sports pages of almost every newspaper !
  • John Motson needs to stop shouting, OH AND BALLLLLACKK
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]She's gone now that the BBC have the F1 Grand Prix back, but (as mentioned on an old thread) the woman who used to ask the likes of David Coulthard 'how they felt ' after being rammed at the first corner and then having to slog backto the pits, usually either in heavy rain or blazing sunshine. She usually followed up that dim-wit question with 'whose fault do think it was?' Sorry but her name has been wiped from the memory bank!
    That was Louise Goodman. She always flirted like anything with Jonny Herbert.