Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Career Change

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    Full time house Dad/husband

I think this is a good idea, Kigelia. You retire and send the wife out to work full-time :-)

*Please don't tell her I said that!*
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]To compare banking and the public sector is a good one, because employees in both seem to get rewarded for imcompetence.

I will be honest there are good employees in LA's that I have dealings with but they are very much in the minority. A mate of mine works for a council I shall not mention which one but the reason he works there (this guy would be the last person I would place in a position of anything nearing responsibility) is by his own admission that he is unsackable. And that seems to be the case across the board.

I know I'm generalising a lot but there is really nothing driving employees in public employment other than their own morality. And I'm afraid that seems to be in short supply.

Ah well Carter, who am I to stack up my experience of decades of work for 5 different LA's against the inside track provided by your chancer buddy ;-)

We'll have to agree to disagree I think fella but good to see you did acknowledge that at least some of the people you come into contact with are okay.
  • Options
    Yeah, wink seen. However, I also have the experiance (not decades granted) of working with an dealing with these people. I would fully expect people employed in the public sector to fight their corner. Fair one. I'm just giving my own view brew
  • Options
    Bump from a long time ago.
    Be interesting to hear the experiences of people who posted on here 9 years ago and what happened.
  • Options
    What a great update @kigelia
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    "Earn't £11 last Sunday dog training for 4 hours, but never felt happier..."

TCE. This is the key bit though. And as for not in the same class, i suspect your work with the dogs is fantastically helpful to those involved.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    kigelia said:

As the original poster I will give a little update then. Nearly 8 years into my ambulance career. I qualified as a Paramedic 2 and a bit years ago. Currently working as a cycle based responder covering Westfield and the Olympic Park.

Financially it was a big drop initially (my first take home salary was less than I used to pay in tax). We were helped by my wife working more days as the kid were older and we are now over and above where we were when I worked in IT.

It is a great job, yes you see some unpleasant things but you also do some good. As a result I have met some fantastic people, including a female British Olympian from the 1948 Olympics who had some great stories. The odd famous person ,some were great others- no names mentioned- less so.

I don’t earn as much as I could be taking home had I not changed but I don’t regret it.

Inspirational story.

"What did you do at work today?"

"I saved a life".

I take my hat off to you, Sir.