Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

------Charlton v Cardiff - Post match views------

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
Those that were there, do your best / worst.

Another incredibly frustrating evening that leaves us kicked in the teeth. We reall weren't at the races first 25 mins, Cardiff were first to everything. Elliot made a couple of great saves. We got the goal and it provided a real lift. It wasn't a great game, but from then on we were matching Cardiff and having a lot more of possession. ZZ should have made it 2-0 in the 2nd half, cut inside well but fired against the post when he should have hit the target.

Got the 2nd and then the alamo started. As soon as we conceded you could see just how flimsy our confidence levels as a team are. We lost all shape, ability to keep hold of the ball, basically panicked, and the equaliser was so inevitable it was unbelievable.

Of the players, Elliot continues to improve, Youga remains erratic defensively, Ward continues to outshine Hudson. Racon was slightly improved, Sam should have ruined Mark Kennedy but didn't, Shelvey wasn't up to Saturday's level, but is still a class above and scored again. Burton got some pretty poor service, but still doesn't look effective enough.

Elliot - 8
Butterfield - 5
Youga - 6
Hudson - 5.5
Ward - 7
Sam - 6
ZZ - 6.5
Racon - 6.5
Bailey 7
Shelvey 7
Burton 5.5

Comments

• Options
    Ps. the crowd had to be seen to be believed. If the crowd was above 10k i would be staggered, and that's including 1,500 Cardiff fans.
  • Options
    Elliot 8
    Butterfield 6
    Youga 6
    Hudson 5
    Ward 6
    Sam 6
    ZZ 6
    Racon 6
    Shlevey 8
    Burton 5
  • Options
    fair play to elliot i never rated him early doors but he is winning me over a couple of exceptional saves this evening , good luck to him.... agree with what afka said (cop out)
    the lack of quality on display is scary and next season it'll get worse....
    still could have stayed in and watched a boring top four premiership fixture............... i mean ...................................
  • Options
    Crowd of 19,390 apparently...
  • Options
    What do you mean about the crowd - I understand there were over 19k there. Honest guv!

As for the match, it feels as though I've just been kicked in the bollocks - again.
  • Options
    We nearly went, planned to but just couldn't be bothered at the last minute. The boys went to Scouts and I went down the driving range.
    We'll defo be there for Norwich and are re-newing our ST's. Chirpy Red Jnr is moving to the Upper North - Nutter!
  • Options
    A poor game, we demonstrated why we are going down as for about the 13th time we let a half time lead slip.

We are mentally and physically not strong enough.

Elliot made some good stops, nobody else really impressed me a great deal, shelvey looked good but tired and I presume he has hurt his shoulder judging by the way he was running.
  • Options
    No leadership and absolutely clueless when we come under any sort of pressure. Jellylegged panic and that is at a time when we are under no pressure at all.

Parkinson has no semblence of tactical knowledge. We progressively get deeper and deeper as games progress and seem to be under orders to invite as much pressure as possible.

Other than Elliot we need to start again at the back. Ward was ok tonight but won't be here next season so I won't discuss him.

Hudson as skipper is laughable.

Burke caused us problems when he came on, pretty shameful that we can't cope with a bloke who did the same thing everytime he got the ball - head down and charge in the direction of the goal.

Agree with AFKA re: the crowd. Nothing short of embarassing. 10-11k with 1500 away fans.

Odd how the concession of two late goals can turn a bit of a party in the north upper so sour. Fans turned on Parkinson and a number boo'd the side off.
  • Options
    I'm not one who has jumped on Parkinson's back this season because I think managers need time to bed in.

Unfortunately, I can't see anyone else to blame for that result tonight. As soon as Cardiff got one back, we went 11 behind the ball, with nobody even straying outside our own third of the pitch. This is a management decision - I didn't see Parky or Kins trying to tell the boys to push up so it must have been a game plan. The trouble is, it was a game plan that was always doomed and the ENTIRE CROWD could see that. Nobody was surprised to see us concede an equaliser because, by providing no outlet at all, we invited 10 minutes of intense pressure onto a team low on confidence. Tactically, this was a transparently dreadful decision and everyone knew it and were screaming it at the players and bench.

I was genuinely more angry about tonight's result than many of our losses this season because it was a win that was thrown away PURELY because of inept management. And that makes me truly fearful as to our fate next year.

Apologies for rant, time for my tablet...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]A poor game, we demonstrated why we are going down as for about the 13th time we let a half time lead slip.

We are mentally and physically not strong enough.

Elliot made some good stops, nobody else really impressed me a great deal, shelvey looked good but tired and I presume he has hurt his shoulder judging by the way he was running.

Agree re: Jonjo. I would have taken him off after 60mins he looked like a 17 year old who had played 3 games in 10 days i.e knackered. Was definitely holding his shoulder.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How much longer can this season go on for. I feels like this season has lasted years.

I can't see how we are going to hold onto Jonjo, I was on a popular football forum earlier and the hype is starting to catch up with everyone now. I saw a thread titled 'Who is 17, plays in red, and has strolled into professional football scoring a few goals...' Inside read 'Jonjo Shelvey > Macheda' That was started by a Birmingham fan! He will be off with Zhi and Bailey and co.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dave Jones the Cardiff manager said after the match, as reported on the OS:

"The place was sombre, it was flat and dead. It took us nearly an hour to rise above that. But if we didn't show grit and determination on Saturday, it certainly came back tonight and we deserved to come back into it. Charlton went 2-0 up and dropped deeper as we kept coming at them and got our reward.

Added Jones: "All Charlton were fighting for was pride. There was no pressure on them whatsoever and it was harder than people would have thought. They've played some good football recently and they showed that in patches but they also showed their frailties.
    "

Funny how opposing managers can see our problems, but Parky can't ....... ?

I just don't get it *shakes head in despair*
  • Options
    PS Just read Parky's post-match comments:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=34158&newstype=n

As far as I can tell, he is not taking any responsibility for our capitulation tonight. The least he could do is hold his hands up and concede that he dropped a ricket.

Sorry, still furious.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Funny how opposing can see our problems, but Parky can't ....... ?

I just don't get it*shakes head in despair*

Everyone can see it. Being able to do something about it is an entirely different thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]*shakes head in despair*

if this is oggy's view , we might as well close the club down ;-(
  • Options
    Oggy said : ''I just don't get it *shakes head in despair* ...

Well I was worried before. Now I'm frankly petrified of what will become of us. Even the Oggster's in despair? The end of the world is nigh, I tell you !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]*shakes head in despair*

if this is oggy's view , we might as well close the club down ;-(

Unless we can persuade Curbs back.

;o)
  • Options
    The team doesn't know how to win and once we were 2-0 up we then looked like a side that deserves to be relegated. Cardiff were poor, but we just invited them to get something from the game, which they did.
    The West Stand was less than half full. I'd like to know the proper attendance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lungrot[/cite]
    The West Stand was less than half full. I'd like to know the proper attendance.

Believe me, looking at from the North, it looked about an 1/8th full
  • Options
    I can't understand Parkinson's mentality, why not make a few changes give some of the youngsters a chance, surely the experience would have been more use to them. As for his tactics, everyone watching knew what was going to happen most of the crowd were yelling at the team to push up. We have seen the same mistakes repeated throughout this season,when will he get the message, most fans did months ago. Sit to deep and we will be punished for it. Why didn't we just try some attacking football for a change maybe more people would be encouraged to buy season tickets if we do not serve up the some old dross we have all season. let's end the season at least looking like we are prepared to make some changes. Shelvey looked good but was clearly tired, good performance from Elliot again. Burton and Butterfield waste of space.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im not gunna sleep well tonight..........

utter utter DESPAIR!!!
  • Options
    No more than 10-11 K given the cup games which have looked fuller. Terrible first 10 minutes, then improved, then scored then got really poor. I think Racon and Zhi are too similar - we will be lucky yo have one of them next season. Butterfield and Youga largely rubbish.

Sam continues to impress as does Bailey, hope Holland stays, Elliot did make two great saves in first 10/15 minutes. Hope Racon stays, the rest of the side needs a re-build.............
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    For the first time in years I did not go to a home match not because of a holiday or another engagement but I simply did not want to go. I was pretty certain that Parky would not play any of the youth / kids that deserve a run / experience (Solly, Arter etc etc) he just does not have the bollox to do so. I was also pretty confident we would not win. I am still gutted I was right on both fronts though, especially after going 2-0 up. The bloke is a total disaster, it is a disgrace he was given the job on a full time basis and a disgrace if he is not replaced.

I watch the videos of our past glories as reasons I should sign up again next season and I probably will - the club has given me some of the best days and memories of my life so I should stick with them through the sh!t times.

However, you know what...there is a recession, I like everyone else has to prioritise things in my life and have to work out what ultimately will be value for money for me in the next 12 months, and the sadness in my heart of turning up to watch a bunch of people that could not care less (HUDSON no.1) play crappy, boring football is something I am finding hard to justify.

I appreciate this may make people on this board angry as many will 100% renew come what may but as a fan and VERY regular visitor /season ticket holder to The Valley for 30 years if I am in 2 minds, think of the number who have only one thing on their mind...not to renew...

We MUST get in someone who will inspire and turn these decent quality but severly lacking in motication / balls / desire players in to a team capabal of coming back at the first attempt, not stick with a proven failure who only seems capable of getting a half performance out of the players even when there is no pressure on them whatsoever.

GUTTED.
  • Options
    I really would like to know how many points Pardew amassed vs Parky I think we'll all see as Oggy said Pard's was only as good as his number 2 Parky and I dont think Parky will be up to it if we do come back!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Elliot - 8
    Butterfield - 5
    Youga - 6
    Hudson - 5.5
    Ward - 7
    Sam - 6
    ZZ - 6.5
    Racon - 6.5
    Bailey 7
    Shelvey 7
    Burton 5.5

Those look about right.

Hudson never looked comfortable in the air against Bothroyd, won a few headers but Bothroyd made it hard for him.

We gave away a few silly fouls. Their goals were always coming and we needed more of an outlet. Instead we had Holland and Spring who are very limited players. Kandol did nothing when he came on, and what was he doing in defence leaving a huge gap up front?

Disappointed about the youngsters, mainly Solly and Arter, as well as Tuna not coming on, but not surprised. Seems Parkinson wants to grind out a few decent results to make our record as good as possible.
  • Options
    Didn't Cardiff let in six on Saturday? Weren't they 2-nil down with eight minutes to go? Surely it should have been them that were panicking and Cardiff's confidence that was shattered, not us !

Wasn't there; but what they showed, I guess, was character. And we didn't. And I have regretfully concluded we never will under this manager.
  • Options
    My take on what I saw....

Elliott - a few great saves and did well.

Back 4 - none of them (Ward aside) worth their salt, if Hudson thinks he can play at a higher level then he can fook off now, take the armband off him for the final 2 games.

Midfield did o.k - tried hard, alot weaker when Spring came on !!!

Burton - I know he was up on his own (albeit with Shelvey for some company) but this guy is absolute pony.

Non event game and ground less than half full
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Didn't Cardiff let in six on Saturday? Weren't they 2-nil down with eight minutes to go? Surely it should have been them that were panicking and Cardiff's confidence that was shattered, not us !

Wasn't there; but what they showed, I guess, was character. And we didn't.

And I have regretfully concluded we never will under this manager.

Bang on, Nigel - you said,"what they showed, I guess, was character. And we didn't. "
    But also our lack of tactical nous at 2-0 up with 8 minutes to go.

Come on Mr Manager, the team play to YOUR instructions.
  • Options
    Think AFKA got it right, but I'd add that I don't want to keep Kandol. According to Parky, we've got enough mental strength, we've shown grit and effort, his signings were meant to add character but now we're naive. What the hell does that actually mean?
  • Options
    IF YOU ASK ME WE SOULD SEND BACK KANDOL AND BUTTERCREAM THEY ADD NOTHING

Keep Ward if Poss.