Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What If ... matches were only 88 minutes long

If football matches were only 88 minutes long, and didn't include extra time, would Charlton Athletic be in the top half of the table?

Entering the closing moments with a one-goal lead or tied, it seems as if it is almost inevitable that opposition will score.

Yet another lead thrown away.

Not being able to hold on to a lead, or close out games, shows a lack of professionalism. That starts with the coaching staff, and extends to the players.

Simply not good enough. Which can be said about the whole season.

Comments

• Options
    Exactly. Very, very difficult to accept.
  • Options
    ''Not being able to hold on to a lead, or close out games, shows a lack of professionalism. That starts with the coaching staff, and extends to the players.''

So true, AA. On Saturday and tonight Holland was sent on with less than 10 mins to go - and goals were then concended. Not blaming Matt, but the managerial tactics because the intention behind the substitution was obvious both times - sit deep and absorb the pressure.

A recipe for disaster because we are not very absorbant. We all know that. Why doesn't the manager ? Just had a quick retrospective look at the match thread. Quite extraoridnary how many Charlton Lifers were predicting at 2-0 that we would somehow contrive to throw it away again. Sadly they were all too right.
  • Options
    the main thing is Jonjo came up trumps again. Lovely jubbly
  • Options
    "Tied" AA, "tied"???

Honestly, you Yanks!
    ;o)
  • Options
    Facts: We conceded our 70th and 71st goals of the season. An average of over 1.5 goals a game. We've lost half of our 44 games and won just a pathetic 7. We've lost 34 points from winning positions. Add those 34 points to our current 36 and we'd be 7th and pushing for the play offs. Just half of those 34 lost points added would leave us in 16th and safe from relegation. I think it's fair to say we need to learn all over again how to win matches and win matches in a row....ROLL ON NEXT SEASON.

Preston away 1-0 up, lost 1-2
    Wolves home 1-0 up, lost 1-3
    Sheff Wed home 1-0 up, lost 1-2
    Plymouth away 2-1 up, drew 2-2
    Brum away 2-1 up, lost 2-3
    Derby home 2-1 up, drew 2-2
    Sheff Utd 1-0 up, lost 1-3
    Burnley away 1-0 up, lost 1-2
    Bristol C away 1-0 up, lost 1-2
    Watford home 2-1 up, lost 2-3
    Reading away 1-0 up, drew 2-2
    Blackpool home 2-0 up, drew 2-2
    Cardiff home 2-0 up, drew 2-2
  • Options
    i'd heard we'd improved ..... i mean from crap to just a little bit better than crap.... we are currently a footballing joke , that aint funny
  • Options
    Spankie's chronological list suggests it's getting worse not better.

Failing to win from two goals up is an entirely new experience we've invented in the last four days...
  • Options
    How many goals do we need to score to be absolutely certain of a win...3, 4, 5???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]How many goals do we need to score to be absolutely certain of a win...3, 4, 5???

We have scored 4 goals in a single match once already this season.
    And 3 goals in one match once also.

Might have to wait until next season to repeat the feat.
  • Options
    ypu don't usually lose a game once 3-0 up.

Parky needs to think about what he has just said at the press conference and taake action - don't hang on to a 2-0 lead, go for the third. Try something different for a change. I would love a manager to be bold and in a situation like tonight, when defending a corner with 5 mins to go, leave 3 or 4 players on the half way line. ...The opposition wouldn't know what to do. !!I
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Golfaddick reckoned : ''you don't usually lose a game once 3-0 up.''

I think you're underestimating us, Golfie...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]when defending a corner with 5 mins to go, leave 3 or 4 players on the half way line. ...The opposition wouldn't know what to do. !!I

i reckon they'd score !!
  • Options
    If matches were only 88 minutes long we would start panicking after 78 minutes and let the equaliser in on the 87th....hence no change I am afraid !
  • Options
    The funny thing is that even in the game where we did score four goals - at home to Reading - we could easily have lost 5-4! They missed a penno and also missed a hatful of chances.

If you didn't laugh you'd cry.