Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

St Georges Day

Comments

• Options
    My point is that it has never been celebrated in this country not even before the right wing idiots hijacked St. George and his flag in the 70`s. Wasn`t celebrated in the years before the BNP and perhaps I am just cynical that there is a commercial reason (ala St. Patricks day) as to why pubs and shops are now pushing bunting, flags and whatever.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    As a kid I have no recollection of anyone celebrating St. Patricks day, other than a few Irish folk who wore the shamrock, there was no big fuss from them, that seemed to start with the arrival of "cod" Irish pubs and Guinness sponsored bunting, hats and penny whistles. I wore a red rose from the time I was old enough to drink on St. Georges Day, and still do. The Portuguese around here have very little interest in St. Georges day, they celebrate on the day of the local patron saint - who is usually as relevant to the area as St. George is to England, that's the way it tends to be with saints. For example, as far as I know St Anthony the Great never drove a car...

I also recall my Mum and Dad telling me how they all used to wear the red rose to school on April 23rd, and that was before WWII.
  • Options
    OBJECTION!!!

AFKA......sort this out please, the word "Paddy" has been used far too much in this thread, my "St Paddy day jokes" were removed for the same reason :-)

Double standards, that what it is, I am going back to "Your Views" on the O/S, Nick Gray would not stand for this :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]This year will be the first time I have not had the day off for St georg'es in a while as cannot afford another day like last years !

Ditto to that. What a day! I think WSS is still looking for his chicken...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Why don`t YOU carry on celebrating it and let those of us who don`t not...Fair enough ? ;0)

You clicked the thread mate ;-)
  • Options
    I've always had a beer on St George's Day and am quite glad that the kind of cynical killjoys who get airtime don't.

Nobody seems to have a problem with St George's Day bar some oddball English people who don't even enjoy sporting events when England play.

As for the supposed racist/rightwing element to it. . . .

Load of old cobblers frankly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]My point is that it has never been celebrated in this country not even before the right wing idiots hijacked St. George and his flag in the 70`s. Wasn`t celebrated in the years before the BNP and perhaps I am just cynical that there is a commercial reason (ala St. Patricks day) as to why pubs and shops are now pushing bunting, flags and whatever.

I remember making St George hats and painting pictures of dragons on St Georges day, way back in the 70's at primary school, to say it was ignored is rubbish.
  • Options
    I have worn a buttonhole every April 23rd for as long as I can remember and I am 50 ish. Proud to do it although I wish I had a pound for everyone who asks me what it is for.
  • Options
    Haven't we got enough threads about this already?

instead of talking about celebrating it or not celebrating it, how about just doing it. or not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Haven't we got enough threads about this already?

instead of talking about celebrating it or not celebrating it, how about just doing it. or not.

You're beginning to sound like AFKA
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]

You sound just like my wife!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]

You sound just like my wife!

wise woman....or not? can't decide!
  • Options
    Just to ease confusion, i'm not Dave Mehmet's wife
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Its quite interesting a topic in the context of the absence of a traditional English culture, e.g that curry is our national dish etc. This is possibly due to our empire days which lets face it was Greater England and not really Great Britain, where we absorbed all number of culture and traditions. You could even go far back as Saxon and Normans times for examples of this flux. English culture has changed massively whereas in contrast the 'real' ancient britons (I won't say Celts because that has apparently been shown to be a genetically incorrect way of describing them) who once occupied England and their traditions are thought to exist in areas such as Wales, Scotland and even Ireland.

(edit) cue Henners..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Its quite interesting a topic in the context of the absence of a traditional English culture, e.g that curry is our national dish etc.

And the fact that most of the dishes you will find in your average ruby house were only created for the British palette (sic) and you would not find the same dishes in restaurants in India for example.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Just to ease confusion, i'm not Dave Mehmet's wife
    aw really the thought of you two it's so sweet
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Its quite interesting a topic in the context of the absence of a traditional English culture, e.g that curry is our national dish etc.[/quote]

And the fact that most of the dishes you will find in your average ruby house were only created for the British palette (sic) and you would not find the same dishes in restaurants in India for example.[/quote]

Aye with India being very very large and diverse its almost like a region of India, although they like to call it Leicester

Another example is English folk music which pretty much doesn't exist in comparison to Scots, or Irish traditional music
  • Options
    Another example is English folk music which pretty much doesn't exist in comparison to Scots, or Irish traditional music

Oh it does, it's just crap in comparison.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My daughter will be wearing a red rose to her Canadian school tomorrow & on Friday (she doesn't go Thursdays) - to signify her country of birth's National Day.

I am sick & tired of the OTT St Patrick's Day crap over here, where everybody discovers long lost Oirish ancestory - where in fact most people i meet in these parts can trace their heritage back to England. Whatsmore some of them profess to openly supporting the IRA and sing anti-English songs.

I have nothing against the Irish or Ireland - its a beautiful country & i have visited & worked there many times - what i don't like is those around here who think it's cool to be a faux English hating rebel - when they have about as much understanding of the history & politics of Ireland & Great Britain as the Pine Marten that is scrabbling about for food outside my kitchen window right now.
  • Options
    I'm not Dave Mehmet's wife either and neither is my Wife
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]
    [cite] Another example is English folk music which pretty much doesn't exist in comparison to Scots, or Irish traditional music

Sorry Razil but that is absolute total & utter first rate crap!!

Shirley Collins, Dolly Collins, Anne Briggs, Sandy Denny, Pentangle, Trees, Fairport Convention, Martin & Eliza Carthy, Davy Graham, Barry Dransfield and the great Vashti Bunyan to name but a modern interpretors of traditional English folk songs...

go and buy the first few albums by Fairport Convention, especially Liege & Lief & then tell me that English folk music pretty much doesn't exist...

For Razil's enlightenment....
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ha ha its all relative, and highly obscure/invisible in comparison
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]ha ha its all relative baldy

relative to your level of ignorance my little friend....
  • Options
    yawn, go bore someone else you obscure nobjock
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]yawn, go bore someone else you obscure nobjock

LOL

Oakster 1 Razil 0
  • Options
    Always a great turnout in Bexley from young and old Charlton fans.

Was in Manchester last year for it, good 500 or so in one of the courtyards of the old Tudor Pubs in the City Centre. Plan to do the same again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]ha ha its all relative, and highly obscure/invisible in comparison

i beg to differ - The Pogues/Dubliners took a few obscure Irish pub songs & popularised them, I would imagine a lot of people would struggle to name more than a handful of other popular Irish folk singers/balladeers.....
  • Options
    Everday is special when your English St Georges Day its just icing on the cake

Welling Cemetary for me dad........full english then few beers with good mates

and the suns out quality
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Will add it really has become a lot more advertised in the last few years. Walked past about 3 large chain pubs all with flags up and posters advertising drinks deals etc
  • Options
    Allways a good day. I think in two years time it will be on a saturday which will see a bigger celebration than a midweek St Georges day! Norwich away was the last time it was on a saturday. Happy Days