Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

According to today's Sun we've been rejected by a Histon defender

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
Reckons we are now looking at £800 a week players and he's decided to resist our approach as he can earn more as a part time DJ

Where do they dream this crap up!!

Comments

• Options
    LOL
  • Options
    He must be a pretty decent DJ if he can earn more than £800 a week doing it part time.
  • Options
    I reckon we need to add a new catagory of "Bullshite the media will come up with to enjoy at our expence"

This thread can be the first of a busy catagory....
  • Options
    Part time DJ
    what does he do, play one track then bugger off home then back again to play another?
    It reminds me of crossing the states with a mate. We shared the driving but I still reckon changing every minute was a mistake
  • Options
    i'm sure they mean combining his dj earnings with his income from histon
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    knowing the Lewington family, I know that Ray's brother Chris turned down a move from non-league to a side then the equivilant of a Championship Club because they couldn't match his wages from his then Club and his earnings as a painter/decorator. If we are offering £1000 per week then I can see this scenario as being entirely feasible. We have already been told that Darren Wards wages are the budget for the entire back four next season.
  • Options
    Paddy was earning more when he was at Barnet and working in a timber yard, than he was offerd to play for us in the 70's. Sometings never change.
  • Options
    It's amazing what some of these non-league clubs are paying. I know an ex lower league player who played for St. Albans three seasons ago, he was on £900 per week and he had a full time job.

I'm a part time DJ, I'd love to know what gigs this bloke is playing!
  • Options
    here he is:

2006-02-18Histon2.jpg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Reckons we are now looking at £800 a week players and he's decided to resist our approach as he can earn more as a part time DJ

Where do they dream this crap up!!

Kelivn McKenzie twisting the knife one last time before departing to Loftus Rd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can see some millege in this one. Can well believe that we are looking for players around the £800/£1000 a week mark.

League one wages i would say that is. If so, then we are not going to be paying much more than that.
  • Options
    league 1 wages are more like 2-3k a week championship is more 4-10k and Prem not worth thinking about!
  • Options
    My younger brother plays Ryman premier, I could never understand why he had the same job working in a warehouse for so long until he told me how much he was paid a week for his football it worked out that he was actually doubleing his money with 50% of his money coming through his football... he was obviously telling my Mum he was on a fraction of the money so his rent was much lower!
  • Options
    Ward was probably not on no more than £10k a week IMHO. So if the budget for the defence for next season is less than that, these are the sort of players we would be looking to bring in.

Okay League one wages are probably more than a grand a week, but if we want reduce the wage bill/turnover by £10m, then you can see why we would be linked with these type of players.
  • Options
    Histon ...?

What are we then....... Piston broke?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Ward was probably not on no more than £10k a week IMHO. So if the budget for the defence for next season is less than that, these are the sort of players we would be looking to bring in.

Okay League one wages are probably more than a grand a week, but if we want reduce the wage bill/turnover by £10m, then you can see why we would be linked with these type of players.
    To be fair, that's your finger in the air guess at Ward's wage, and the rumour about the budget is obviously just made up. Why the heck would we have a budget for the defence? It's going to be based on who stays, who's manager, number of season tickets sold and tranfers in and out. Silliest rumour of the season, this one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Ward was probably not on no more than £10k a week IMHO. So if the budget for the defence for next season is less than that, these are the sort of players we would be looking to bring in.

To be fair, that's your finger in the air guess at Ward's wage, and the rumour about the budget is obviously just made up. Why the heck would we have a budget for the defence? It's going to be based on who stays, who's manager, number of season tickets sold and tranfers in and out. Silliest rumour of the season, this one.

I must have been day dreamin last wednesday morning then. I could have sworn Mr M mentioned about the budget for the defence, re the question of purchasing Ward. Re Ward's wages that is a guess, as mentioned recently no Wolves in player is on anymore than £10k a week.

At the AGM in January it was said that the turnover has to come down by £10m if at all possible.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Have to back Shirty up here. RM did say something like that at the GM although I wasn't clear if it was Ward wages now or when he gets his uplift for Wolves going up.

There will be a budget for the various parts of the team. There was this season.

If, say the budget for the defence is £10k pw then he can choose to pay Player X £8k pw but then has to get the other players for a total of £2k pw.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]There will be a budget for the various parts of the team. There was this season.

If, say the budget for the defence is £10k pw then he can choose to pay Player X £8k pw but then has to get the other players for a total of £2k pw.

That was that whole 'wage matrix' thing wasn't it? Pardew ended up spending big wages on a few players, so could only afford players on small wages in other areas.

Surely Fortune is at least on the same wage as Ward at the moment, yet we're going to try and keep him? I guess he'll be offered a reduced wage. So I guess if we manage to keep Fortune (and/or Hudson), we won't see big wages spent on the rest of the defence.
  • Options
    ''There will be a budget for the various parts of the team.''

Can we put the strikers on performance-related pay, please ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dont forget to add the manager (s) to that contract Nigel!
  • Options
    Would have thought that being a part time dj was the perfect job for a footballer at Charlton...... as quite a few of them are in the night club anyway, like there bigger 'bruvvers' at Chelsea, West Ham, Man Utd.....
    Quite how a footballer is expected to live on a mere 2k a week, with all that Louis Roederer Cristal, and the missus ' other car' to maintain will be a challenge for them......
  • Options
    i knew even months back that colchester defender , pat baldwin, might be joining charlton depending where our future lay, he was previously under parkinsons management at colchester, he's on approx 2-3k..... so that's the sort of player we're looking at
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i knew even months back that colchester defender , pat baldwin, might be joining charlton depending where our future lay, he was previously under parkinsons management at colchester, he's on approx 2-3k..... so that's the sort of player we're looking at

If Parky does stay, expect 2 or 3 of his old players at Colchester/Hull/Reading to join.
    Plus Murty.

We might even get Iwelumo back, lol
  • Options
    At the end of the day, do we really want an untried non league player, who is more interested in the money than a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a large club (albeit in current decline, but we'll be back) and the future opportunities that could afford him? no, neither do I, do one you mug and get your priorities sorted out, doesn't matter what league club comes a calling, he's a fool for having that attitude.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]At the end of the day, do we really want an untried non league player, who is more interested in the money than a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a large club (albeit in current decline, but we'll be back) and the future opportunities that could afford him? no, neither do I, do one you mug and get your priorities sorted out, doesn't matter what league club comes a calling, he's a fool for having that attitude.

Well we don't actually know true the story is about this guy.
    But if it is true put yourself in his shoes, would you leave your current job to go to a bigger company and earn less money?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]At the end of the day, do we really want an untried non league player, who is more interested in the money than a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a large club (albeit in current decline, but we'll be back) and the future opportunities that could afford him? no, neither do I, do one you mug and get your priorities sorted out, doesn't matter what league club comes a calling, he's a fool for having that attitude.

But if it is true put yourself in his shoes, would you leave your current job to go to a bigger company and earn less money?

It's in the Sun *of course* it's true...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

Did it last year, offered and accepted a job with less pay, but a much bigger company with better opportunities, until the credit crunch kicked in and they put a recruitment freeze on, so, yes, as the long term potential benefits were obvious. Just dont understand his attitude (if its true).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i knew even months back that colchester defender , pat baldwin, might be joining charlton depending where our future lay, he was previously under parkinsons management at colchester, he's on approx 2-3k..... so that's the sort of player we're looking at

If Parky does stay, expect 2 or 3 of his old players at Colchester/Hull/Reading to join.
    Plus Murty.

We might even get Iwelumo back, lol

We could do a lot worse, in fact we have a lot worse than "Big Chris" Oggy, I would welcome him back with open arms as long as we get some wide men that can put the ball on his head like Wolves do, instead of playing him up front on his own, back to goal lumping the ball up to him.
  • Options
    Ha ha, ES Mike ..... it was only tongue in cheek, but I could see the irony of Big Chris not being able to cut it in the Prem or not getting the chance, being replaced by some £5mil striker from somewhere.

So as one of Parky's old boys, maybe he couldd be persuaded to come back and play for his old boss again.
    But I doubt it, he'll be picked up by one of the Championship play off hopefuls, if let go by Wolves