Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parkinson Quote

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
"The more that are sold, the better chance we've got. It's vital that any supporter that has Charlton at heart renews that ticket and gives the club a chance of coming back stronger next year.

Isn't that what the supporters had done over the last two seasons with a Premiership bounty as a prize?

I am sorry but he shouldn't be suggesting that if the fans don't renew then it will result in some players leaving. Or has he or someone else at the club the courage to tell us now who will be allowed to go and who wont ?

Comments

• Options
    For me, I hesitate on the decision to renew because I am not confident that the money will go to the core business, I have a notion that money is being possibly wasted in other areas of the club business.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    no parachute money
    far less money from the league
    fractional tv money
    drop in st revenue
    drop in st renewals
    sponsorship?

Say for example our average gate including season tickets is 8000 x 250 (average st price) = 2m, 12000=3m

not going to go very far on wages is it?
  • Options
    I understand we need to sell ten thousand season tickets just to run the stadium. where the money is going to come from to pay players wages let alone get new ones is a worrying thought
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Spanish, They didn't mention it for this season, when season tickets were offered & sold, they then went on a downsize mission.
    With our current set up, even If we were 4th in the Premier league with a full stadium, or in a play off spot in the C.C.C. we would still sell our best players....
    Quotes like this have been ten a penny for as long as I can remember. They mean nothing. We still never have enough financial clout..
  • Options
    Are you renewing Spanish ? (And I don't mean for Kent CCC!)
  • Options
    Would any of the players have relegation clauses in their contracts eg if we go down and they stay they take a % pay cut as some clubs who think they may make the drop offer?

Considering that relegation may not have really been realistically budgeted for when some of these contracts were offered then that may be unlikely worringly and those who arent out of contract and choose not to say for lower wages may be a financial burden.

Id like to think that as the players' performances have been a large part in our demise that they would agree to forgo some of their wages next season to keep up financially buoyant. Unfortunately they are only human with relatively short careers and particularly at this level probably want to earn as much as possible in their time and I think that romantic notion i hope for a'la Bournemouth's players is unlikely.
  • Options
    I hate all this business about 'players having short careers.'

They ARE allowed to do something when they stop playing and they have loads of money to support themselves whilst re-training / studying.

I bet they don't work full-time and study in the evenings like loads of normal people.
  • Options
    I agree with you jimmy and I work ft and study all evenings and all weekend...been the most depressing year ive had for yonks with that combined with Charlton hammering the nail in every saturday!

You are right what you say but i imagine that the average modern footballer in this "I want it all now" culture we live in doesnt have the foresight to look beyond their next pay check and chance for personal fame and glory so even though the option is there for them to do something after football I doubt itll be enough incentive to sway their decision about reducing their earnings to do what is right by the club and our fans.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]For me, I hesitate on the decision to renew because I am not confident that the money will go to the core business, I have a notion that money is being possibly wasted in other areas of the club business.

You don't say. Tell me more ...... Err actually no please don't.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]I hate all this business about 'players having short careers.'

They ARE allowed to do something when they stop playing and they have loads of money to support themselves whilst re-training / studying.

I bet they don't work full-time and study in the evenings like loads of normal people.

My thoughts exactly, Jimmy.

Many of them (NOT all, by any means) are too feckin lazy and too dumb to do anything else - and they know it.

Who else, seriously, would employ Wayne Rooney if he weren't a footballer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Posted By: Ormiston Addick

Who else, seriously, would employ Wayne Rooney if he weren't a footballer?

Debbie Does Dallas Productions to do "Shrek likes them older and bolder 27" maybe............
  • Options
    Off It... Yes I have renewed mate, for the MCC that is. And please don't associate me with Kent, Sussex mate !!!

Weren't you formely known as ON IT ?
  • Options
    Paul Ince taking over.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]Paul Ince taking over.

I heard that as well :-O

Not sure how I feel, seems to have done well in the lower leagues in the past.
  • Options
    Takeover = New Manager

No Takeover = Parkinson
  • Options
    Agree WSS. I'd be happy with Ince coming in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Takeover = New Manager

No Takeover = Parkinson

Probably.
  • Options
    Oh god, its the rumours again.

Please don't raise my expectations!
  • Options
    New investment will certainly equal new manager, as Parkinson will be judged on results, just like Derek C promised (if you check back,when he made that now infamous comment I don't think he actually specified when, did he ?!)

But where did this Ince rumour come from?
  • Options
    What ince rumour ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It wasn't a rumour, I thought it was just a suggestion/idea on here?