Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our darkest hour: People who dont want a positive spin thread.

Quite frankly, I've just got back from the pub and it's all shit.

Reading though the threads there's no one saying what I feel, that is, utterly devastated.

This is one of the lowest points of our clubs history.. who is with me here?

Can we just have a moment of feeling really crap about what has happened please?

Comments

• Options
    Our Darkest Hour - That was back in 80's - I feel crap but compared to almost losing existence this is a picnic.
  • Options
    the thing is people have had time to deal with this as we all knew relegation was going to happen a long time ago
  • Options
    VFR

You havent read enough threads. There is crap everywhere.
  • Options
    Our Darkest Hour - That was back in 80's
    NO NO NO! Ok all you lot who were there back in the 80's have a perfect right to say that but for Jesus Christ sake, how can you say that what has happened today is a "picnic"?

Absolute and complete bollocks.

We are in freefall, a disaster. And that is a picnic?
  • Options
    There is crap everywhere.
    Yes, I thought I'd try and concentrate it into one thread peanutman
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]
    Our Darkest Hour - That was back in 80's

NO NO NO! Ok all you lot who were there back in the 80's have a perfect right to say that but for Jesus Christ sake, how can you say that what has happened today is a "picnic"?

Absolute and complete bollocks.

We are in freefall, a disaster. And that is a picnic?

It's lucky you weren't around int he 80's mate otherwise you might not be around right now ;o)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I feel completed gutted and far far worse than when we left the fair ground of the premiership. Perhaps its been the inevibility of it over the past couple of months that has numbed the shock of it and it hasnt really sunk in.

It almost doesnt seem real and because it has been at the forefront of so many conversations lately the magnitude of it hasnt yet been realised.Been on the cards for ages and ive spoken about it with mates etc for so long that even my missus (who knows almost as little about football and specifically Charlton as Kelvin McKenzie) offered her sympathy. It has hit me tonight though hence why i have spent all evening on here as some form of consolation with people who know what it feels like and who can empathise.

And everytime I try and console myself thinking about "oh well itll be an adventure and well walk the league or at the least win shed loads next year" I remind myself of those same words coming from my mouth after Spurs sent us down from the prem.
  • Options
    Spot on Rodney.

For me this situation is utterly devastating. I find the argument "oh well, at least we are still existence", bizarre to say the least.

We deserve better that this.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I do agree we have had darker days of course and obviously for older posters they will be the lowest point they have experienced but for me its probably one of the lowest points i can actively remember. 81 was the last time we were in the 3rd tier wasnt it? I was born at the tail end of 79 so itll be a new experience.

Its not just the fact that we have been relegated, its not anything to do necessarily with winning or being in the prem. It is also combined with the fact that we are in so much instability that seems to have culminated now in the short space since Curbishley left what with the uncertainty in management, disharmony and bitterness amongst fans, questioning the board's competence and the potential financial ruin elephant in the room aspect that seems to be lurking in the back of everyone's mind like the nuclear threat during the cold war years (ok maybe thats a slight exaggeration but you know what i mean).

I also feel a general disillusionment with modern football in general. Not bitterness because we arent in the prem but I dont want their Soccer Am, Celebrity- endorsed, billionaire consortium version of football that has left me and many others feeling so alienated over the past few years.

I love this club, i love the game but I feel thoroughly depressed tonight with our current situation and have done for the past few months.

I know we will be back and that as "real football supporters" we take the highs with the lows but there just seem to have been a lot of lows the past couple of seasons and few highs.

Beating palace was good though.;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Which ever way you spin it its pretty damn miserable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ha ha Jesus I miss Im gonna reach for the razor blades in a minute!

True though everything on the news and in the papers is depressing and when you go to football or on here to escape from the real world that hasnt provided much joy because of the goings on the past 2 years.

Perhaps for next season AFKA can create a new thread category called "Positive Spin Only" where we can go to cheer up.

Im sure by then there will be a few new labour spin doctors looking for a new gig after exhausting their capabilities in their current roles so they could perhaps moderate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Quite frankly, I've just got back from the pub and it's all shit.

Reading though the threads there's no one saying what I feel, that is, utterly devastated.

This is one of the lowest points of our clubs history.. who is with me here?

Can we just have a moment of feeling really crap about what has happened please?

Agree VFR.

Right now our club is a mess & who's to say we have bottomed out yet....
  • Options
    When we went down in the 70's there was an air of inevitability about it.
    There was a stench of decay and failure about the club.
    Under Michael Gliksten the way forward was set in stone; sell the best youngsters to balance the books; invest nothing in the infrastructure or on players.
    I know it's difficult to be positive right now, but as I walked from the West Stand car park to take my seat in the family stand, I considered our magnificent stadium and how far we have come.
    My heart told me that unlike before we are not failures. Not the way I knew we were failures in the 70's.
    Infact we are a success story that has suffered a few setbacks.
    Despite the way it's gone we are still upwardly mobile. We just need somebody to light the blue touchpaper again
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think what staggers me is the speed of the decline.

The difference between now and the 60 & early 70's was then the club was like a pot bound plant, gradually becoming weaker and weaker but not actually withering away completely. There was the odd period when a bit of nourishment perked it up but not enough. In the end it was so weak that the pot broke apart and the plant needed to be removed, the excess trimmed, repotted and new growth encouraged.

This time it's like the plant was overwatered and it just suddenly has wilted. Without drastic action, it's in serious danger of not surviving. Not enough TLC will see it really struggle to recover, on the other hand too much nourishment might kill it off competely.
  • Options
    The peanutman post is about as bad as it gets.

Six-a-bag.. for those of us, and we are many, who weren't around to support Charlton before we were born/lived in Charlton/realised the faith in 98, that is a brilliant post.

Charlton till I die
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I think what staggers me the the speed of the decline.

The difference between now and the 60 & early 70's was then the club was like a pot bound plant, gradually becoming weaker and weaker but not actually withering away completely. There was the odd period when a bit of nourishment perked it up but not enough. In the end it was so weak that the pot broke apart and the plant needed to be removed, the excess trimmed, repotted and new growth encouraged.

This time it's like the plant was overwatered and it just suddenly has wilted. Without drastic action, it's in serious danger of not surviving. Not enough TLC will see it really struggle to recover, on the other hand too much nourishment might kill it off competely.

Probably the best analagy of our current plight that I have read.

We are in the shite big big big time. People need to wise up, without the proposed takeover we will struggle again next year. I say it now and will stand by it, without investment we will loose 10 players in the summer and no matter what money is paid for them we will not outlay a penny on transfer fees.

At best we will se 5 free transfers in the summer. 10 out and 5 in is not workable.

Have a really horrible feeling that (if we aren't taken over) this thread will be bumped in 12 months time with us deep in the doo doo in division 3....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]The peanutman post is about as bad as it gets.

Six-a-bag.. for those of us, and we are many, who weren't around to support Charlton before we were born/lived in Charlton/realised the faith in 98, that is a brilliant post.

Charlton till I die

VFR

Now I am pissed off. I thought you wanted devastation. None of this happy clappy stuff.
    I feel betrayed.
  • Options

VFR

Now I am pissed off. I thought you wanted devastation. None of this happy clappy stuff.
    I feel betrayed.
    Why the hell would anyone want to be in the situation we are in? I wasn't joking.. this is a crap pile and we are right under it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I think what staggers me the the speed of the decline.
    You and everybody else I reckon, Bing
  • Options
    [/quote]

VFR

I feel betrayed.[/quote]

Don't lose that sense of humour, Imiss, you're going to need it. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers. I've lost it tonight.

I'm looking forwards to Tuesday though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]

VFR

I feel betrayed.

Don't lose that sense of humour, Imiss, you're going to need it. ;-)

Cheers Six bag. What a roller coast ride this club is.

I reckon this forum could be a bit tasty later today. I better keep away.
  • Options
    I think once the realisation has set in there is going to be a lot of anger. I hope we, as fans, direct that anger in the right direction.
  • Options
    DERBY, lets go..................................
  • Options
    Lol.. I'll be there!
  • Options
    Very good thread...

I wonder if one of our younger bretheren could turn Imiss's excellent rant

(the one that starts :
    Same league as Millwall (Maybe)
    Below Palarse
    No Money
    Selling best players
    Not selling worst players
    Best loan players unaffordable
    Contracted strikers on loan scoring for other teams
    Loan strikers contracted to us - ill
    Unpredicatable formations
    Predictable formations ...ete etc)

into a rap song? It would be perfect.

I also agree with whoever (think it may have been Rodney) said this is more depressing than getting relegated from the premiership.

Meanwhile, can I be the first to say we are far too good for tier three and are
    are coming straight back up... (ducks a hail of abuse and screwed up s/t renewal application forms..)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]We deserve better that this.

We don't deserve anything, its only the geordies that believe that they have a divine right, we get what we get and sadly its shit and likely to be for the next few seasons - like the last few. I'm not devastated or down, its been on the wall for months and now I am anaesthetised to it. But come the new season and the opening day defeat to Brentford or orient or whoever we were too good to play in a friendly a three seasons ago, then it will kick in.-
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    You and everybody else I reckon, Bing

exactly my one third tier visit b4 was when we'd be a chuff club for years and hadn't been in the top flight for over 20 odd years but to fall after a longish stint in the top flight to the third tier in just two years is an absolute disgrace and for me this is the darkest period for charlton from a footballing perspective ever...
    within ten minutes of the final whistle i had texts giving it, from one palace and four millwall muppets , that hurt , still i hope it was worth the wait for them mugs!!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Gutted, but somehow more gutted when we dropped out of the Prem because I really thought that Charlton Athletic fitted in there. I think that tier 2 and 3 are much of a muchness and although a 2nd relegation in 3 years is sickening I really believe here is where we bottom out and begin a resurgence starting in August. Reading what Spainboy the Leeds fan on here has said only really confirms my belief that we will bounce back stronger. Millwall and Palace fans can frankly just swivel because our club is bigger, prouder, and historically more important than theirs. COME ON YOU REDS!!!!