Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Notice Periods @ Work

edited April 2009 in Not Sports Related
I've been offered a job at the company I'm at the moment within a different department & my current boss is making it awkward for me to leave. Trying to get me to carry on doing work I currently do even though it has nothing to do with my new role. Also saying that I can't leave until a replacement comes in.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this & whether or not a notice period needs to be served as I'm not actually leaving the company? Is this something that can be controlled by my current boss or is it the no different if I was leaving the company, ie having to serve a months notice period?

Thanks,
Polo

Comments

• Talk to HR, they should have a policy on internal moves and notice(If they've not, ask them to put one in). Also talk to your new boss, they should be dealing with this, not you.

We implemented a policy of four weeks notice for internal moves in my company an couple of years ago, unless the loss of the staff member to another team caused serious problems that would impact customer service/profitability. In these cases, the board member(s) covering those departments would agree a date that was in the best interests of the company, but there would still be a published date, so everybody new where everyone stood.
  • deffo talk to HR mate.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]I've been offered a job at the company I'm at the moment within a different department & my current boss is making it awkward for me to leave. Trying to get me to carry on doing work I currently do even though it has nothing to do with my new role. Also saying that I can't leave until a replacement comes in.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this & whether or not a notice period needs to be served as I'm not actually leaving the company? Is this something that can be controlled by my current boss or is it the no different if I was leaving the company, ie having to serve a months notice period?

Thanks,
    Polo

Sounds like your old boss isn't very happy about the move which isn't great management but there may be reasons.

Deffo speak to HR but they can be a bit "non-confrontational". If no joy from them I would suggest that you suggest that you and your old and new managers get together to "project plan" your transfer. You can agree move dates, work to be finished or carried over, projects you may need to stay on, etc etc. And get it in writing. As well as showing your new boss how organised you are it might clear the air between the bosses. You might want to invite HR as well to keep the peace and make sure rules are followed.

The biggest problem I can see is filling your vacancy. you might want to suggest that someone can be trained up and offer to do a handover and then coach them for a while (one hour a week for 6 months) until they are ready.

And if you need a really good facilitator/coach to come in and help I'll do mates rates ; - )