Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rugby - A Thug's Game Played By Gentlemen?

Comments

• http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7933904.stm
  • And more from our moral superiors

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7817685.stm
  • http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Matt-Stevens-England-Rugby-Star-Admits-Drugs-Shame-And-Says-He-Is-Seeking-Help-For-His-Problem/Article/200901315207488
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]And more from our moral superiors

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7817685.stm

Hardly Luke McCormick is he?
  • They also banned nine of the Romanians.

If you ever get the chance to participate in a game of 'egg-chasing' try swearing let alone at a referee just within his earshot and see what happens.

Same with boxing, if a boxer lips a referee they would get disqualified instantly.

Good effort boys but you cannot compare the behaviour of the two sports participants. Have you ever seen a rugby player go down screaming trying to get something? You would get laughed at forever.
  • I think the red team won the fight though
  • If you ever get the chance catch the BaaBaa's v All Blacks video ( the famous Duckham series) - now that was a fight!
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I think the red team won the fight though

Yeah but a few took a wack late on
  • Yeah the lot in white shirts were in retreat for sure!
  • I was once playing in a match which was quite dirty and it didn't take much to spark a mass brawl. Before long it had spread over two pitches and about 50 or so players were involved. Thing is, at the end of the match everyone shook hands and had a beer in the bar afterwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• and even shared a bath.
  • and then shoved radishes up each others arses (& drank their own piss)
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]and even shared a bath.

Absolutely

[cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]and then shoved radishes up each others arses (& drank their own piss)

Cucumbers, actually and the piss was called Fosters
  • And don't forget the frozen mars bars...
  • I like rugby, I think football can learn a lot from rugby, BUT - and the same applies to ice hockey - if they want a punch up, why not take up boxing?
  • helluva punch up that first one

the reds gave the whites a bit of a pasting to my untrained eye...
  • I'm dusting off my boots tonight, time for a comeback in the summer se7ens. I may not be able to walk or talk tomorrow though!

I'll keep the bath warm for you meathead x
  • edited April 2009
    The major problem with football is not a lack of respect for each other, it's a lack of respect of officials.
  • edited April 2009
    [quote]They also banned nine of the Romanians.

If you ever get the chance to participate in a game of 'egg-chasing' try swearing let alone at a referee just within his earshot and see what happens.

Same with boxing, if a boxer lips a referee they would get disqualified instantly.

Good effort boys but you cannot compare the behaviour of the two sports participants. Have you ever seen a rugby player go down screaming trying to get something? You would get laughed at forever.[/quote]

You say that, but O'Driscoll did it in the Six Nations and got a penalty for it.
  • Fair one, he did.

I can watch 90 minutes of top level football though and players doing that or similar things equally deceptive are ten to a penny.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Good effort boys but you cannot compare the behaviour of the two sports participants. Have you ever seen a rugby player go down screaming trying to get something? You would get laughed at forever.

I'm not sure that saying rugby players will partake in mass brawls but at least they don't cheat as much as footballers is a strong defence. ;0)
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]I like rugby, I think football can learn a lot from rugby, BUT - and the same applies to ice hockey - if they want a punch up, why not take up boxing?

i agree.
    American Football is a very aggressive sport but the penalty system means they very rarely fight each other. The nature of football makes it harder to have an equivalent system.
  • Rugby players cheat all the time. killing the ball in the ruck, collapsing scrums nicking yards at line outs - it's all a form of cheating.
  • Rugby, a fairies game played by shirt lifters!! Having a hold of each others funny shaped balls in the scrum!! ;-)
  • And that's why I love it Ol

So do footballers ledge in that sense but it's honest cheating ;-)
  • Moral superiors?
    you suffering from some kind of inferiority complex Henry?
    Spent too long watching our dismal defeats?

Rugby was invented to give all schoolboys the chance to play in a team together.
    Fat slow boys in the front row
    Lanky thickos in the second
    Chunky runners in the back row.

A couple of swots at scrum half and inside centre, future PE teachers at outside centre (helps if they are good at Geometry for covering remedial maths classes, and angles of running) and the thin weedy types who can run away from trouble like the clappers.

Tell me another sport that combines every size shape and mental ability, whilst teaching the benefits of teamwork and leaving them all too tired to get up to mischief outside McDonalds in the town centre
  • http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7944919.stm

Footballer shot dead whilst about to score equaliser.
  • Tell me another sport that combines every size shape and mental ability, whilst teaching the benefits of teamwork and leaving them all too tired to get up to mischief outside McDonalds in the town centre

Cricket...
  • I love that Analysis of Rugby Arthur. I will be cutting and pasting that at some point.

To be fair BFR i was never to knackered after a Cricket match to get upto trouble later in the evening!

Fan of Rugby, Football and Cricket all of which have their plusses and minuses, must we fight?!
  • To be fair BFR i was never to knackered after a Cricket match to get upto trouble later in the evening!

You must have been a batsman then...
  • Whats the difference between Rugby Union and League? two less idiots