Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trevor Hicks / The Hillsborough Disaster

Just read a stunningly heart wrenching interview in Times2 with Trevor Hicks, who lost his two daughters at Hillsborough in 1989. Read it if you can, it made me realise how all the unimportant stuff most of us moan about everyday, including Charlton's current plight, is all rather trivial.

Comments

• Thanks for reminding me, the annual feel sorry for Liverpool day is almost upon us.
  • edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Thanks for reminding me, the annual feel sorry for Liverpool day is almost upon us.

Why comment!!
  • Never felt sorry for Liverpool, feel incredibly sorry for Mr Hicks though.
  • I never felt sorry for liverpool either, it was their own fans that caused it in the first place. The sad thing about it all is that it was the innoccent fans that died.
  • of course you have to feel sorry for trevor and anyone else that lost loved ones in the disaster but the continued willingness to blame everyone but there own ticketless fans for this disaster is frankly unbelievable.

the fans haven't learnt from this as you can tell by the ticketless fans that continue to turn up at their matches and then you watch the fulham match on saturday and the whole away end was stood up but singing "justice for the 96" ?
  • Wasn't Mr Hicks the main character in the Hillsborough ITV Doco-drama? The disaster practically wrecked his life.

What justice are they seeking for the 96? And are they doing the same for the 39?
  • edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Thanks for reminding me, the annual feel sorry for Liverpool day is almost upon us.

Why comment!!

Every year we get Liverpudlians feeling sorry for themselves over Hillsborough, a tragedy made by their own moronic fans. That is why I comment.
  • edited April 2009

Why comment!!

Bit insensitive from BFR but I think that the broader point is that Liverpool DID have the sympathy of the nation after Hillsborough BUT the events of the FA Cup Final just a few weeks later made me see them in a different light.

As you will recall, the FA took down all perimeter fencing after Hillsborough so the FA Cup Final at Wembley between Liverpool and Everton was the first game held there for years without any barriers between the fans and the pitch.

How did the Liverpool fans react to this move by the FA? They staged a pitch invasion at the final whistle (thousands of them) which created absoute chaos and rendered the presentation of the trophy a farce and meant the traditional lap of honour was abandoned.

You can't buy class.

Hillsborough was a tragedy, no doubt about that, but as well as police negligence the late arriving ticketless fans were also to blame in no small part.

I went to many Liverpool away games in London in the mid to late 80's and it was a common occurrence for them to arrive late onto the terraces and simply push their way forwards, not giving a toss about the poor bastards at the bottom.

I remember the Hicks family and it was terrible that they lost their daughters but there is no doubt that many of the professional grief moungers on Merseyside should look a little closer to home if they want "justice", the police were not the only ones to blame on that occasion.
  • Maybe a harsh comment by myself as i see i'm in the minority. it was a disaster and lots of people lost there lives which IMO is sad.

Lots of people made mistakes and probably most wish they had never. At the end of the day they were like you and me fans desperate to watch there team, i could not say that if i had chance to sneak into the ground once a gate had been opened i would have walked away most of them did not know of the consequences and probably live with this everyday.

IT was tragedy of Epic proportions and Its not time to point the blame and slate liverpool fans imo its a time to reflect and remind ourselves in order that this does not happen again.
  • edited April 2009
    I judge Trevor Hicks as a father rather than a Liverpool fan and the FACTS are that two of his daughters died and he later split up from his wife essentially because she blamed him for introducing the girls to football and could not cope with his quest for justice for his daughters..

As a father of three daughters myself I can empathise with his anguish.

Liverpool fans contributed to the carnage at Hillsborough by their own selfish actions but the Police were incompetent, even negligent, as was eventually confirmed in an independent enquiry. They also compounded the agony of the bereaved for years afterwards by trying every shabby trick in the book to avoid admitting liability.

I'm no fan of Liverpudlians generally and Heysel was an absolute disgrace but a wrong in Heysel does NOT mean a wrong in Hillsborough.

Sorry to have gone on so long.
  • Sponsored links:

• The thing is though it could happen again. Take the 2007 Champions League final in Athens for example when thousands of Liverpool fans without tickets tried to get in just as they did at Hillsborough. There's an element of the Liverpool fan base that doesn't seem to care less about what happened 20 years ago judging by the way they still behave at away games.
  • edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Why comment!!
    Every year we get Liverpudlians feeling sorry for themselves over Hillsborough, a tragedy made by their own moronic fans. That is why I comment.

Does blame matter, the fact remains people died and lives have been ruined, show a little respect.
  • [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]The thing is though it could happen again. Take the 2007 Champions League final in Athens for example when thousands of Liverpool fans without tickets tried to get in just as they did at Hillsborough. There's an element of the Liverpool fan base that doesn't seem to care less about what happened 20 years ago judging by the way they still behave at away games.
    That and the campaign when the sun editor joined the BBC is why I'm not as sympathetic to Liverpool fans as I once was.

Obviously I will always feel sorry for those who lost love ones that day, especially as they were the ones that got there on time and didn't cause the tragedy.

I'm a bit sceptical about the minute silences this weekend. This is more of a Liverpool thing than a football thing. They're not the only club to have had a tragedy.
  • Is there a minutes silence? I thought we'd agreed to just one a year.
  • edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Why comment!!

I won't write what I actually want to say as I'll probably get banned.

Nothing to do with the police getting it seriously wrong and openning a gate then?. I have no doubt that Liverpool fans didn't help that day but 96 people died that day......96!.

Show some respect.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Is there a minutes silence? I thought we'd agreed to just one a year.

Once a year for Charlton related stuff.
  • Im no Liverpool lover but most football fans I speak to who were going away with their clubs in that era say:

It was going to and could have happened at any game back in that era. It's not just Liverpool fans who rush in like they did that day. Most clubs did the same for massive games - just tragedy struck on this occassion. It could have happened, and probably neraly did happen at many a game.
    The Police are at events like that to control and manage situations that may arise - they failed.

Re, Hysel - again yes a complete tragedy but yet again, could have happened many a time before and since. Lets remember it's the Itlaian whos started that and then when it came on top, they ran. Im not saying they deserved what happened but it was the kind of situation that happened everywhere in those times. Unfortuantley that time the ground was a shambles - never fit for a football game of that size.

Both tradgedy's but both could have happened to any club around that time.
  • BFR is right. Okay a gate was opened accidentally, ie. with no bad intentions. The Liverpool fans that arrived with no tickets knew they had no tickets and imo caused the tragedy just as the same club's fans caused Heysel.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: alan dugdale[/cite]BFR is right. Okay a gate was opened accidentally, ie. with no bad intentions. The Liverpool fans that arrived with no tickets knew they had no tickets and imo caused the tragedy just as the same club's fans caused Heysel.[/quote]

They did what most (particulary young lads who have been on the piss) fans in a massive game would do in their situation - go for it. They will live with that forever, but lets not pretend it's only them wo would act in that way.
    You follow England away even now , and it's like that at most away games going in.
    I think the OB ahve to take a lot of responsibility, as the official verdict concluded - anyone actually read it?
  • [cite]Posted By: alan dugdale[/cite]BFR is right. Okay a gate was opened accidentally, ie. with no bad intentions. The Liverpool fans that arrived with no tickets knew they had no tickets and imo caused the tragedy just as the same club's fans caused Heysel.

Clearly meaning 96 people deserved to die.
  • Sponsored links:

• just as heysel was caused by west ham , chelsea and millwall fans hillsborough was caused by the police , the f.a and the sun.

the reason we no longer have standing at football matches is because of what happened that day and the reason we can't have a serious debate about it is because it gets shouted down by liverpool fans every time it's brought up yet look at anfield and specifically the kop on a matchday and you'll be hard pushed to find anone there sitting down
  • [cite]Posted By: The Organiser[/cite]I think the OB ahve to take a lot of responsibility, as the official verdict concluded - anyone actually read it?

I recently did an essay on it for my law degree, as it set's out quite an important precendent for Tort law. Theres no getting away from the fact the Liverpool fans where in the wrong but the OB made mistake after mistake that did nothing but esculate the problem!
  • edited April 2009
    Nothing to do with the police getting it seriously wrong and openning a gate then?. I have no doubt that Liverpool fans didn't help that day but 96 people died that day......96!.

Show some respect.

Ok, if several thousand Liverpool fans hadn't turned up without tickets intent on getting in without paying and continuing to do so when it was obvious that the Leppings lane terrace was dangerously overcrowded then it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

That isn't difficult to understand...
  • Enough personal insults.

Cheers
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Enough personal insults.

Cheers

shut it!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: alan dugdale[/cite]BFR is right. Okay a gate was opened accidentally, ie. with no bad intentions. The Liverpool fans that arrived with no tickets knew they had no tickets and imo caused the tragedy just as the same club's fans caused Heysel.

Clearly meaning 96 people deserved to die.

If you do something stupid expect tragic circumstances. No one is blaming the victims - they had tickets, turned up early got into the ground on time etc and found themselves towards the front. It's those idiots that turned up late, without tickets with the intention of getting in to the ground. Sure the plice and ground authorities played their part but if those fans hadn't travelled without tickets and then shoved their way in it wouldn't have happened.
  • Im with BFR on this all the way. I went to sheffield two months before this tradegy to see andy jones make his debut and sat in those same seats. The police made some mistakes, but pissed up liverpool fans with no tickets were clearly the main reason why this happened.
  • the biggest mistake out ofall of this was the joke FA putting liverpool in leppings lane and Forest in the Kop end end of .
  • Why is the Bradford fire not rolled out every year ? the video of this was once used in Fire Saftey Training and if anyone has seen it then you know how horrific it is. 50 odd died i think ----- so why isnt this remembered every year ?
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]
    the reason we no longer have standing at football matches is because of what happened that day and the reason we can't have a serious debate about it is because it gets shouted down by liverpool fans every time it's brought up yet look at anfield and specifically the kop on a matchday and you'll be hard pushed to find anone there sitting down
    The Taylor report never said anything about banning standing areas. It's main issues were the fences and pens. I think it was the FA or the Government who thought that banning terraces would reduce the violence and saw the Taylor report as an opportunity to implement it. No straight thinking Liverpool fan would shout it down, they would be too busy boycotting the sun...

As for The Organisers remark about that Hillsborough could of happened to anyone, my dad told me it could have happened to anyone, but you always knew it was going to be Liverpool, they were quite famous for storming the gate.