Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stuart Fleetwod - Can he be worse than the rest ?

edited March 2009 in General Charlton
Being blessed with an abundance of forwards who cannot miss at the moment i can understand why we are not giving Stuart FLeetwood a run out.................

If only. Why is he not getting a go. Parky is saying "I had a chat with him and I did not want his season to just peter out. I wanted him to finish on a high" and sending him off on loan yet again.

I believe good finnishers only do well when they are confident. Given the hardly prolific scorring record of the current 1st team, give him a start and ask him to prove himself. We have nothing to loose (literally) and it will maybe get him in the swing for next season.

Comments

• Options
    Bit like Dickson you mean?
  • Options
    well it's immaterial as he's gone to Exeter on loan but interestingly Parky said i interview after he went there , when asked why he not had chance in our team , said he's not ready for the Championship it's a big big step up from Conference and he needed to go out on loan and score a few goals , which in fiarness to Pardew and Paky he hasn;t done at Brighton or Cheltenham.
  • Options
    Just had a Southend fan taking the p1ss out of me. Spent 5 minutes trying not to lose my rag whilst answering his questions (you all know what I mean) about our decline & plethora of non-scoring forwards. He asked me how Fleetwood had done. Obviously I had to tell him that he doesn't play for us becuase we just send him out on loan to forthcoming sparring teams. Another head scratching decision from Parky.
  • Options
    Couldnt have hurt to try him out. So. If he goes away and starts scoring, he'll come back to a team he isnt used to playing in...........

Back to square one. I think we need to start preparing for next season now if we dont want a nasty suprise in 09/10
  • Options
    Yes he can be worse than the others. It's like when people say play the youngsters. Pardew tried to use Wagstaff more, before realising Sam is a much better player and Wagstaff wasn't ready.

It's something we're going to see next season. Not every signings going to work out as hoped and we'll realise how much better players like Fortune (as an example, he might stay) were compared to their replacements.

And yeah he's on loan at Exeter anyway. As said it's not like he scored many for Cheltenham and Brighton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]well it's immaterial as he's gone to Exeter on loan but interestingly Parky said i interview after he went there , when asked why he not had chance in our team , said he's not ready for the Championship it's a big big step up from Conference and he needed to go out on loan and score a few goals , which in fiarness to Pardew and Paky he hasn;t done at Brighton or Cheltenham.

but Cody MacDonald has gone from lower in the structure to Narwich, scored once in the first team as a sub, played well on other occasions and has been banging them in for their resereves and has been credited by Bryan Gunn for giving the whole place a lift. Perhaps if Fleets had been given a chance he may have banged one it, confidence soars and that rubs off on the other no-hopers.
  • Options
    I don't think he wanted to reward Fleetwood with place on the bench for no reason. Not like he was banging goals in for Brighton, or scoring more than the odd one of the reserves. If he was doing that I'm sure he'd have made the bench at least once or twice. He didn't put Todorov on the bench for a while and said he needed to do more than he had to get into the team.
  • Options
    its all immaterial beacuse if he does start scoring for Exeter he'll come back to us...........for a well eraned rest during the summer lay-off and any "feelgood factor" he may have will disapear.

I don't expect to see him play for the first team.........just like his nemesis Cory Gibbs.
  • Options
    I might as well bang the drum again ....... we need a team that is creating plenty of chances consistantly, then it doesn't matter who plays up front, there will be enough chances taken to provide a decent tally of goals.

Our team is set up to score goals from midfield. That's handy to have - but for crying out loud, we must put crosses in to the box.
    When was the last time we won a penalty? How many goals do our forwards score from knock downs and tap ins.

That's the problem.
  • Options
    John Akinde has made a good step up too - scored a peach for Wycombe the other day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]John Akinde has made a good step up too - scored a peach for Wycombe the other day[/quote]

His dad's the security guard at the company I work for.
  • Options
    From what I've seen of Fleets, mainly in pre season, he has much more to his game than Dickson, is younger and a better goal scoring record. Hopefully he'll have a good pre season and get a chance next year.
  • Options
    Well I suspect that our front four next season will be from Dickson, Burton, Fleetwood and another....McLeod maybe. There should be plenty of opportunity for any of them to stake a claim. Can`t see buckets of goals though !
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oggy said : "we need a team that is creating plenty of chances consistantly, then it doesn't matter who plays up front''.

Agree up to a point, Oggy, at least about creating chances. But it matters a lot who is upfront to convert them, surely? . However many chances we create, you know Burton's conversation rate is going to be very low. Kandol's and Izale's quite a bit higher. Dickson still not sure.

And Fleetwood I'm even less sure about. He seemed to have a good pre-season - almost ever-present in the friendlies. And we haven't seen him since - even on the bench.I must admit with one eye on next season I would have given him a run in these last few meaningless games to see what he can do.
  • Options
    I want Varney back he at least created chances for others :o(
  • Options
    hes crap play dickson
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eastbourne addick[/cite]hes crap play dickson
    LOL!! Now where have I heard that before?
  • Options
    He will not score upfront on his own in a 4-5-1 FACT
  • Options
    Exactly, AGod.

The team is set up to score goals from midfield - the front man is sacrificed to run himself into the ground, provide lay offs and take the bruises, thus creating space and openings for midfielders to run through and exploit.

That's the tactic.

Just because we think of a player as a forward, doesn't mean he's instructed to play as principle goal-scorer.
    In a Parkinsella 4-5-1, the lone front runner role can be played by Kandol or Burton, - but not by Fleetwood.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Parkinson acknowledged that Dickson didn't have the skill-set to play in this role then a couple of games later picked him to do just that. Unsurprisingly he didn't make a good job of it so gets dropped for the next few matches. I don't know what his fascination is with this formation, we don't play pacy wide men to run on past the lone frontman, so the game-plan doesn't really work. Are we to endure the same next year if Parky stays?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's a goal machine just waiting to be released :-(
  • Options
    Fleetwood on as sub in 76th minute and brought down for penalty converted by the youngster Marcus Stewart
  • Options
    Frankly I wish we could scrap our strike force and start again. All of them.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    This has been the worst set of strikers we've had at the club in a long, long time - perhaps ever.

Given that they are likely to form the basis of our forward line next year should be a major cause for concern. If we are going to challenge for promotion then one of that lot is going to have to score a lot of goals and I can't see any of them getting into double figures.
  • Options
    I think Kandol would hit double figures if we took him. However to get promoted I think you need a 20 goal man and another to chip in with 14 or so. We ain`t got anything like that at the club,
  • Options
    But back to a few posts above ...... it's the persistance with 4-5-1 with lack of pace generally in the team, that's contributing to the lack of goals.

Overall many of our players are as good as most players at other clubs in the Championship.
    So it's the balance of the side that needs adjusting if we're to score goals.

Without creating a plentitude of chances, goals are going to be relatively hard to come by - or we need someone who's an exceptional goalscorer up front. They tend to beyond the budget of Championship and, of course, Third Division clubs.

Next season, we must play 2 up front, more or less together with at least one pacy/tricky winger who is able to cross the ball or create chances. Fleetwood or Dickson, operating in tandem with someone like Kandol could work well at that level if they get the service and support.

But then we also need a tight, solid back four that communicates well with each other and the keeper. And the midfield engine also needs to do the job. So more or less a total rebuild, lol

With so many players out of contract or being moved on for financial reasons, and the fear of losing removed with the start of a new season, we'll get the rebuild we need and maybe more adventurous tactics bringing out the the qualities of individual players within the team unit.

We can only hope so.
  • Options
    Re the 4-5-1 and at the risk of taking the tread away from the subject, it is the way we are playing 4-5-1 which is the issue. Parky is playing without wingers and playing a narrow midfield and a flat back four. When we played 4-5-1 with wing backs (Moo2 and Youga, two defensive midfield one in the hole and two wingers (Varney and Buzz) against Bristol City we were unstoppable for 25 minutes. This is a comparison between attacking 4-5-1 and defensive 4-5-1. The latter was never a viable tactic for a team in our position.

I appreciate the match against bristol went pear shaped but that seemed to be after conceeding weakly, then losing shape rather than the fundamental tactics
  • Options
    I agree, get 4-5-1/4-3-3 right and it's fine, and not negative at all. We don't have the players for it at the moment though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Maglor[/cite]

I appreciate the match against bristol went pear shaped

Now what would a pear shaped formation be? 3-5-2?

I guess it depends on how ripe the pear is? Maybe 5-3-2?

But I wouldnt have said 4-4-2 or 4-5-1.

But then I suppose the goalie would be the stalk which f*cks the whole thing up a bit.

Anyway note to Parky. Has he thought of going bananas!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I think Kandol would hit double figures if we took him. However to get promoted I think you need a 20 goal man and another to chip in with 14 or so. We ain`t got anything like that at the club,

Yep, I agree that we need a 20 goal plus striker, but with the players at our disposal only Gray I think would get near to scoring 20 goals, but that depends on him staying and I don't think he has settled in London/at Charlton.