Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For those of you that didn't like Ryanair and their add-ons....

124»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]the other 90% of the passengers on any given flight have to pay pro-rata more.

Or take your custom elsewhere, nobody is forcing you to book with ryanair.

You miss the point.

In order to promote themselves they offer a small number of very cheap (at prices that are uneconomical) flights. To subsidise those eye catching deals they have a number of add-ons as we've laboriously discussed. However if you don't get one of those eye-catching deals you still have to pay the gimmicky surcharges for using a credit card etc, therefore you are being penalised unfairly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Why the need for deceit?

Where is the deceit.
    They advertise a flight for 99p.
    Assuming you can read and don't want extras, it costs 99p.

Last time I used Ryanair, on their Liverpool to Malaga route, the advertised fare was £0.00 as was the return fare. I then had to pay £8 each way (£16) airport taxes and £5 each way (£10) card fee. No way of realistically avoiding these add ons (particularly the airport taxes)! So the advertised fare of £0.00 became £26. Still good value but NOT the advertised price!
  • Options
    Low cost airlines have generally been a good thing, they have shaken up the national carriers and provided good competition. Ryanair is unique in trading like a bunch of street spivs. Norwegian and Germanwings don't go in for any of this shit, to name two I've flown with, and I'm told Air Berlin is even better. Then there's the issue of what happens when things go tits up. With the low-costs you are on your own. I was due to fly back with EasyJet the day before the Millwall game. I only made it thanks to BA. And if heaven forbid something goes wrong with your plane, take a good long look at a typical RyanAir crew, and then a typical BA crew, and ask yourselves in whom you trust. And I know a bit about the training of BA crews as a former partner was a stewardess. It depresses me to see Willie Walsh trying to do an O'Leary with a civil tongue, he will just destroy BA. People should also confront the obvious point that it absolutely cannot be economic to charge £5 or even £20 to fly anyone anywhere, and there will be a price to pay sooner or later. Probably when kerosene is taxed like all other fuels. If something looks too good to be true, then it probably is.
    Finally if you're thinking of a trip to Prague, RyanAir don't fly there from London, but be sure before you book with EasyJet to compare the BA price. several times BA have been cheaper. Sadly BA stopped the Gatwick flights, another Walsh 'strategic move' but they will get you there in any weather. Which reminds me, I haven't heard anything from EasyJet about my bloody refund.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite].
    1. I was due to fly back with EasyJet the day before the Millwall game.

2. Which reminds me, I haven't heard anything from EasyJet about my bloody refund.

1. I got to the match at half time after booking the Friday evening flight

2. I've heard from them but haven't actually got the money back yet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]The problem I have with the Ryan Air ticket pricing strategy is that it mitigates against those who don't get a flight for 30p. If you end up paying the standard price you still have to pay the booking fee and the extras for luggage in the hold etc. Therefore my grumble is that the cheap prices are a shoddy way to market the airline and the add-ons subsidise the cheap flights for those lucky enough to get in quick, the other 90% of the passengers on any given flight have to pay pro-rata more.

Personally for me it can be broken down very simply. You get to the final payment screen and you get a price, and from there you can make a decision whether or not that is a good price. If it isn't, you can look elsewhere. All it's cost you is 5 minutes hassle, and if you can't afford 5 minutes hassle in the process of booking a flight then your time really must be strapped.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]2. I've heard from them but haven't actually got the money back yet.

Sorry to hear that Jimmy. At least you made it for Bailey's goal :-)

I haven't heard a tweet. May I ask,did you apply through the website? Did you get an email response, and how quickly?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]the other 90% of the passengers on any given flight have to pay pro-rata more.

You miss the point.

In order to promote themselves they offer a small number of very cheap (at prices that are uneconomical) flights. To subsidise those eye catching deals they have a number of add-ons as we've laboriously discussed. However if you don't get one of those eye-catching deals you still have to pay the gimmicky surcharges for using a credit card etc, therefore you are being penalised unfairly.
    I don't think he does miss the point. But like supermarkets who have special offers on some items (that they advertise), but then put prices up on other items to compensate, the offers do exist. And they do say they are 'limited offers'. You don't need to be a computer expert to get in early.

And I wish people would stop talking about their booking system as if you need to be a Mensan or computer wizard to figure it out. It's so straightforward, and the pricing 100% transparent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]the pricing 100% transparent.

Transparent????

Take a look at this, and then come back and tell me your meaning of the word transparent is the same as most people's.

Like I said, Ryanair are the only ones that play this game to this extent, and the table shows that. Inadvertantly, its a good ad for easyJet...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]the pricing 100% transparent.

Transparent????

Take a look atthis, and then come back and tell me your meaning of the word transparent is the same as most people's.

Like I said, Ryanair are the only ones that play this game to this extent, and the table shows that. Inadvertantly, its a good ad for easyJet...
    Prague, you can't take a quote out of context. I was talking about booking on the website. The price additions, extras, totals, etc, are all totally visible, transparent, and easy to follow as you book.

In any case, that comparison table only proves that Ryan Air offers a service for travellers who DON'T WANT EXTRAS. Obviously if you do want extras, don't travel with a budget airline. Hardly rocket science. If I'm travelling short haul, with just hand luggage, don't intend on eating on board, and can check in online, then RA will always be cheaper.
  • Options
    Si

Ryanair advertise fares which are in fact impossible to achieve. That's what Bournemouth Addick was alluding to. It ought for example to be illegal to advertise fares without airport taxes. What possible justification is there for that? They are unavoidable. I'm very surprised it is not illegal. And what about the poor Norwegian bloke who came with me on the bus to Oslo's low cost airport. We'd both 'checked in' on line, but neither of us had been able to print our boarding passes. I was flying Wizz Air (crap, avoid) to Prague, he was flying RyanAir to Marseille. When we arrived, the automatic check-in machines weren't operating. Wizz Air just printed my pass off. But RyanAir charged him 40 euros for it. That, my friend, is downright dishonesty and close to theft.
    You fly them if you want, but one day they will let you down badly. All companies take on the character of the person at the top, and the bloke at the top of Ryanair is a ****.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SiSi
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Si

Ryanair advertise fares which are in fact impossible to achieve. That's what Bournemouth Addick was alluding to. It ought for example to be illegal to advertise fares without airport taxes. What possible justification is there for that? They are unavoidable. I'm very surprised it is not illegal. And what about the poor Norwegian bloke who came with me on the bus to Oslo's low cost airport. We'd both 'checked in' on line, but neither of us had been able to print our boarding passes. I was flying Wizz Air (crap, avoid) to Prague, he was flying RyanAir to Marseille. When we arrived, the automatic check-in machines weren't operating. Wizz Air just printed my pass off. But RyanAir charged him 40 euros for it. That, my friend, is downright dishonesty and close to theft.
    You fly them if you want, but one day they will let you down badly. All companies take on the character of the person at the top, and the bloke at the top of Ryanair is a ****.

Ryan Air do say that if you arrive without your boarding pass they will charge you to issue you one. It's to deter people from busying their staff at airports, so that they can financially justify having low staff presence there, which means they can justify lowering their fares. There is reason behind it all.

And I am aware that their advertising could be considered misleading, but I was talking about their online booking system.

Either way, when they have Sales (quite frequently), they offer a limited number of 'tax free' flights, where they pay your tax. I have bought several of these tickets. There are plenty available. Which is why they can advertise them without the tax price, because they DO sell some tickets without tax. Literally, on several occasions I have travelled for 99p fares, the advertised price. For that price, I'm willing to take the risk that one day they'll let me down.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]

You miss the point.

I don't think he does miss the point. But like supermarkets who have special offers on some items (that they advertise), but then put prices up on other items to compensate, the offers do exist. And they do say they are 'limited offers'. You don't need to be a computer expert to get in early.

And I wish people would stop talking about their booking system as if you need to be a Mensan or computer wizard to figure it out. It's so straightforward, and the pricing 100% transparent.

Well not really, I appreciate that supermarkets sell loss leaders to get the punters in the door and once they are there they buy the rest of their shopping. That isn't the same thing as Tesco's won't say that a tim of baked beans is 15p but we'll charge you £5 for using a shopping trolley and then another £5 for using a check-out manned by what passes for a human being in Tescos.

Neither will they sell a limited amount of tins of baked beans at 15p and then charge the next 90 people 30p and neither will the price suddenly change at the check out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]

You miss the point.

Well not really, I appreciate that supermarkets sell loss leaders to get the punters in the door and once they are there they buy the rest of their shopping. That isn't the same thing as Tesco's won't say that a tim of baked beans is 15p but we'll charge you £5 for using a shopping trolley and then another £5 for using a check-out manned by what passes for a human being in Tescos.

Neither will they sell a limited amount of tins of baked beans at 15p and then charge the next 90 people 30p and neither will the price suddenly change at the check out.
    No, not a perfect example, but the point still stands. Advertising does not highlight the entire picture, but the attractive part of it. One benefit RA does have over supermarkets, is that you know what you're paying for and how much you're paying BEFORE you're committed to handing over the dough.

Which returns us to the point that no one has answered yet - considering you know how much you have to pay, and what the breakdown of this amount is, BEFORE hitting the 'Pay' button, how can anyone complain of being ripped off?