Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent County Cricket Club - Doing their bit for English cricket

13»

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]So we would rather face a team of unfit and injured players than beat them fairly? is that the only way we can win the ashes if they're all unfit and crooked? not exactly sporting mate?[/quote]

So agree with that. Despite our huge number of 'Generals' we're just not progressing as a team. I wouldn't normally advocate it but I think the ECB needs to install a dictator at the top of the managerial pyramid.
  • Options
    if yorkshire was the team who had 2 aussies playing for them it would be ok as for england selectors they should pick rob key and joe denly the selection system is a total farce.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]if yorkshire was the team who had 2 aussies playing for them it would be ok as for england selectors they should pick rob key and joe denly the selection system is a total farce.

Rob Key may well get his chance at three - neither Shah nor Bell have taken their opportunity for England, but it'll depend on early season form. I think the favourite though will be Michael Vaughan, but he needs plenty of early season runs too...

Denly is only a selection for the ODI side at the moment, but he's another who has to have a good start to the season, and could be a contender for the Test squad if those ahead of him fail.
  • Options
    What hypocrites the ECB are. They don't want Clark playing for Kent - but they would have been quite happy to host the IPL here and help the rest of the Austrlian team with IPL contracts warm up and get acclimatised to English conditions before the Ashes!

It looks like it's going to South Arica instead, which rather serves the ECB right.

By the way, Kent fans on here, you need to revise your fixture lists. Substantial venue changes announced today, with a four day game switched from Canterbury to Beckenham and no fewer than five 20-20 games relocated, including one now at Tunbridge Wells.
  • Options
    Thanks Nigel.
    Still up for a beer on the 6th in Deadly Dereks ?
  • Options
    Yes !
    5 days of firstclass cricket at Beckenham !!
    And the preseason against Andre Nels Slurrey !!!
  • Options
    what a great signing that is by the way. Onwards and upwards for the brown caps this year
  • Options
    Agree that Chris Adams seems to be doing all the right things at Surrey pre-season. I think they will have a good year after last season's nightmare. If you look at Nel's past record in county crciket, though, I'd say he's a good signing rather than a great one. Dale Steyn, on the other hand - now that would have been a real coup!

See you in the Deadly bar on April 6, Miserable-oldish. I'm counting down the days...
  • Options
    To be honest I think a lot will rest on the type of pitches that they produce at the Oval this season.

With a bowling attack of Fat boy Ormond, Tudor, Jordan, and now Nel I hope that the wickets have a little more pace and bounce than they have done in recent seasons.

This may not be the case tho with Harbijhan linked to being the overseas player for the second half of the year.
  • Options
    Carl,
    coming down to Beckenham on the 6th ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stuart Clark was today called up to the Australian squad in South Africa and will now not be joining Kent - so we sufffered all that odium for nothing!

The county are now desperately looking for a replacement over the Easter weekend but could easily end up without an overseas player at all. A lot of people are going to be saying it serves us right, I know.

If you think Charlton are in a mess, Kent are argubly a bigger shambles right now.

Relegated in two different competitions last season, we've not only lost our overseas star 10 days before the first championship game but our South African coach, Graham Ford,who should have been here when the squad reported back for traning on March 23, is still stranded in Durban due to a visa problem and is running our pre-season preparation/training by telephone.

Aaggghhh...
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Still, could be worse nigel:
    You could support slurrey
  • Options
    Kent have the weakest squad that I can ever remember. If Joe Denly and/or Rob Key is lost to England duty (which is likely for the Twenty20 tournament at least) then I see them really struggling.

We don't just need a strike bowler, but a decent number three bat and some strength in depth.