Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diawara signs for £3.712m

edited August 2006 in General Charlton
On O/S now

Comments

• Options
    Probably explains why the OS is taking forever to load!
  • Options
    Bloody hell, that's quite a bit! Welcome D!
  • Options
    Probably not all up front I would guess.

Another big, quick, powerful athlete, who decent on the ball. Looks like that's the Dowie way, and I fully signed up to it
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Another good signing by ID...The squad is looking alot stronger now & we desperately needed another centre half!

Over 10mil spent by Dowie now. Fair play to the board for making it available.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    With HH out for three games, he comes at the right time !!
  • Options
    The good thing is, we're physcially a bigger side now, Faye, Tarore, Diawarra, JFH, HH and Bent are big atheltic blokes, Reid is strong and stocky.

We don't look the soft touches we were in the past.
  • Options
    Anyone know anything about him? I don't.

We used to say Trust In Curbs. I guess the new motto is Don't Doubt Dowie!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]The good thing is, we're physcially a bigger side now, Faye, Tarore, Diawarra, JFH, HH and Bent are big atheltic blokes, Reid is strong and stocky.

That's is definitley Dowie's prefered profile for players, the main complaint most Palace fans had about that, was that he would always pick someone who can run around alot ,rather than someone who can pass the ball.

Peeler tators red n blue army!
  • Options
    How much influence has Mr Mills had in all these transfers by the way?

How did son of selhurst get in here?

Cheeky little monkey
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]That's is definitley Dowie's prefered profile for players, the main complaint most Palace fans had about that, was that he would always pick someone who can run around alot ,rather than someone who can pass the ball.

The difference this time my Nigel chum, is that he can people who are decent footballers, cause he's at a decent club
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]
    That's is definitley Dowie's prefered profile for players, the main complaint most Palace fans had about that, was that he would always pick someone who can run around alot ,rather than someone who can pass the ball.

The difference this time my Nigel chum, is that he can people who are decent footballers, cause he's at a decent club

That's really weird how did you know my name is Nigel! :-)

• Options
    Starting to worry that if we have a disaster this season, we are going to be saddled with a hefty debt.

As far as i understood, there really wasn't much budget for this season. Someone has found the money, and they should be applauded for giving a new manager the backing he deserves.

Whether the new manager has signed the right players, time will tell.

I know nothing of this Diawara, but like the sound of the profile Dowie is seeking. Playing teams like Arsenal and Liverpool the past few seasons has made it noticeable that they are a team of athletes, no longer should we be outmuscled or outpaced.

Can't see us winning the fair play award again though :-)
  • Options
    I think the fair play league has already gone!

Credit to the board for backing the new manager but your post did make me laugh. All summer some (not you AFKA) have been saying "when are we going to buy someone?" and "we should break the bank" or "we've got not ambition" and then we the club does spend you start worrying that we'll be in debt.
  • Options
    If Dowie can get a couple of decent result's in the next 3 games then I think you'll be in for a decent season.

How have CAFC fan's taken to being "fisted" by dowie following your win over bolton.

• Options
    On the fisting we were singing at the end of the game and the fans weren't expecting it so when he did it there was a muted reaction. Chris Powell always did a jump after a long "Oooooooooooooooooo" from the crowd so we'll work it out eventually.

On the season the team's been revamped and if we get Pouso (sp) we've added in all the key areas and as has been said there's a lot more height and power. Hard to say how we'll do as everyone is adding to their squad but feeling confident. A cup run and somewhere between 6 and 12 would be a good season. Top six and/or a cup final would be fantastic but can we catch Villa and Everton and avoid the banana skins.

How are Palace doing? Seem to have dipped a little after a great start but still third. I expected Southampton to do well alongside Brum, Coventry, Norwich and West Brom.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Credit to the board for backing the new manager but your post did make me laugh. All summer some (not you AFKA) have been saying "when are we going to buy someone?" and "we should break the bank" or "we've got not ambition" and then we the club does spend you start worrying that we'll be in debt.

We can all only judge on what we have been told.

We we told that the club pushed the boundaries last summer in the hope that Curbs could pull out something special, his last big push. We were also told that the budget for this season would be pretty minimal as a result of that, and the likely fall in season ticket sales, which did materialise. We were also told it was crucial we remained in the prem at the end of this season due to the new tv deal kicking in next year.

Now whether what we were told was the whole truth, i don't know. But my best guestimate would be that the budget for this season would of been small, but the poor nature of the squad left and the need to back the new manager, coupled with the need to remain in the premiership, has forced the club to greatly overspend this summer. As others have said, there is the chance that any of about 12 clubs could end up in relegation trouble this season. If we have a poor run, the new signings don't gel, or Dowie has signed the wrong players, we could be in serious financial trouble if we drop. A whole host of ifs i know, but it has always been the cautious way to take the cautious approach. I do not know if the new money has come from existing directors, or an extension of bank loans. I hope its the former.

I would also guess that more money has been provided with the belief that if we did fall, we have a serious saleable commodity in Darren Bent. We need him to have a great season for more than one reason now.

I'll add though that if ever there was the time to push the boundaries, it is now. Lets hope Dowie delivers as much as the faith Murray has in him.
  • Options
    Here here, great post nothing to add.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    How are Palace doing? Seem to have dipped a little after a great start but still third. I expected Southampton to do well alongside Brum, Coventry, Norwich and West Brom.[/quote]

We're doing ok, not pulling up any trees but an obvious improvement on last season. We are at last a threat from set pieces which has not been the case for years.

But we do lack pace and unless a forward with pace, comes in before the window closes, then hanging on to 3rd place will be very difficult.

I think Taylor's doing a good job and he identified the weaknesses from last season and fixed them, but then I think you can say Dowie is doing that too.

Like Dowie at the Valley, I'll wait 10 games to decide if Peter taylor is doing a job or not.......that's if Jordan does not fall out with him by then.
  • Options
    I think the talk of having a minimal budget was just good negotiation, no point telling the world you got £10 M to spend only to find that we are being quoted higher prices. Let other teams and their agents think we're operating on a tight budget.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/citeI would also guess that more money has been provided with the belief that if we did fall, we have a serious saleable commodity in Darren Bent. We need him to have a great season for more than one reason now.

Lets hope Dowie delivers as much as the faith Murray has in him.

Top post AFKA- summed the situation up very well. The futue saleability of Darren Bent had gone over my head whlst i was trying to work out what was going on with the normally cautious Charlton board!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most of Dowie's buys have been good value - ok JFH on a free, if we get relegated we can ditch him, Gibbs and Sorondo were frees, Carson and Pouso are loans. Of the players we've paid money for Traore, Faya, Diawarra represent real monry but should have some value if we have to sell them, while Walton at £500K, is young but he'll be worth more in a season or two. Andy Reid, bought for a package totalling £3M, which was less than Spurs paid for him and is presumably dependent on games played etc. Plus there's Luke Young and Darren Bent...I think in balance sheet terms the squad will cover any downside from relegation. Plus we got rid of a lot of dead wood with hopefully Euell to go and maybe Bent, M too.
  • Options
    Not too sure about Youngie - he "pledged his future" to the club rather than signing a new contract. Doesn't his current one run-out at the end of this season?
  • Options
    I thought he signed a new 4 year contract a couple of weeks later...
  • Options
    Yep, Luke Young signed a contract that takes him up to 2010.
  • Options
    Must've been on holiday and missed that!
  • Options
    On the budget front, there must be a reason beyond simple administrative costs that the club is ditching the AIM. I fully expect additional funding to come into the club within the next few months and that will ofset the spending done so far.
  • Options
    Don't forget regarding Darren Bent that Ipswich are on for 25% of the profits.
  • Options
    Is it that much BFR?
  • Options
    Doing very well now, playing in the champions league.
  • Options
    Some of these posts are very prophetic. And some are mental - with the benefit of hindsight.