Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Where have all the Characters gone?

We might not win every match with this team.......

Charlie Wright
Bob Curtis
Jimmy Giles
Terry Naylor
Phil Warman
Colin Powell
Billy Bonds
Harry Cripps
Keith Peacock
Derek Hales
Paolo Di Canio

.......but boy would we have some FUN!

Comments

• they all got in a clique and decided they wouldnt post any more!
    Gutting

xx
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]they all got in a clique and decided they wouldnt post any more!
    Gutting

xx

lol - in the cold light of day I've now realised that there's probably not too many of us old enough to remember many of those mentioned in despatches.
  • Saw them all play for us except Mr.Bonds.
    A "quite" pint with these boys...........
  • I saw them all play ... and Billy Bonds
  • Saw them all as well ... some great 'characters' on that list.

Bobby Curtis used to drink in the British Oak in Old Dover Road when my aunt worked there - he even used to go in there on a Friday night before a game ... and still played well!
  • Home games, I wouldn't mind betting Bob Curtis was in there Saturday lunchtimes, too.

And Saturday night, Sunday lunch, lol
  • As mentioned before he bought me a pint on the way to Scunthorpe in '75: he had a half (or two). We won 2-0! Anyway Oggy, I was listening to the Home Service the other day and it seems you had a Saints Day down there with people dressing up (again) and dancing about a la the Wicker Man: they're even trying to get a Cornish Bank Holiday for it in the future. Were you involved in this merriment?
  • Hi March - is this what you meant? All the celebrations seem to go on mainly at the other wackier end of Cornwall, me loverrrrr. I missed them, too busy posting on Charlton Life :o)

St Piran's Day, March 5th

St Piran's Day is very popular in Cornwall and the term 'Perrantide' has been coined to describe the week prior to this day. Many Cornish-themed events occur in the Duchy and also in areas in which there is a large community descended from Cornish emigrants. The village of Perranporth ('Porthpyran' in Cornish) hosts the annual inter-Celtic festival of 'Lowender Peran', which is also named in honour of him.

The largest St Piran's Day event is the march across the dunes to St Piran's cross which thousands of people attend, generally dressed in black, white and gold, and carrying the Cornish Flag.

A play of the Life of St Piran, in Cornish, has been enacted in recent years at the event. Daffodils are also carried and placed at the cross. Daffodils also feature in celebrations in Truro, most likely due to their 'gold' colour. Black, white and gold are colours associated with Cornwall due to St Piran's Flag (black and white), and the Duchy Shield (gold coins on black).
  • Saw them all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Me too.

Can we form a seniors clique ?
  • CL splinter group.....I like it.
  • Judea People's Front or People's Front of Judea?????????????
  • Actually. Who is the oldest poster ?
  • That,s it OR, just as I thought : 'Wicker Man 2'! As for the age thing, I'll admit to getting to the ground by tram when Jimmy Seed was manager, and we just survived being relegated thanks to Hans Jeppson! The current mob, you can't call them a team, are by far the worst outfit I've seen wearing the shirt ever! At the moment living in the past seems the only way through this nightmare!
  • Blimey, March...You used to go the Valley on a tram?

The last London tram was decommissioned in 1952. I know this from Robyn Hitchcock, who back in the 1980s recorded that wonderful song 'Trams of Old London'. If you dont know the song, it will be featured on the 'London Pride' cd being given away free with the May issue of Uncut : 15 songs about London by the likes of Chris Dfford, Madness, Joe Strummer etc. I've just been writing the track notes for the cd.

I always guessed that March51 was a reference to your date of birth but I was clearly wrong. Was it the date of your match ? Or did you used to catch the tram to watch us that season we spent playing at Catford? 1923/4 I think it was, but you will no doubt remember better than me !!!
  • 5th.July 1952 to be exact Nigel. My dad and I caught and the no.38 from Abbey Wood to get to the Valley and yes March51 was my first game: lost 0-1 to Pompey! Afraid I wasn't around for games at the Mount but my old man went to the first game there. Afraid I'm not familiar with the song, but will look out for the cd: let us know when released. By the way, the trams were all scrapped at a large yard in Penhall Road, Charlton: they were stripped of anything useful, then burned: did wonders for the environment -it all came back as the London smog1
  • March51 you deserve a campaign medal for all those years. Suprised a man of your age can use a pc ;0)
  • It's one finger stuff most of the time SHG, usually when I start to post something by the time i've typed it 3 other people have got in and said what I was going to say! Wish I knew how to do this photo business though, got a couple of snaps that might interest people (of Charlton-not trams, though come to think of it....)
  • edited March 2009
    Great fun!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

lol - in the cold light of day I've now realised that there's probably not too many of us old enough to remember many of those mentioned in despatches.

Me too,with the exception of Bonds, would agree withWent for Giles.and Alan campbell or Harry gregory fro Harry Cripps
  • Of that era I would personally like to see 'King' Arthur Horsefield involved somewhere. His selfless play led to many of Killer's goals during '73-75 as well as scoring many himself during three 'everpresent' seasons.
  • King Arthur was my hero ......
  • Can I leap from the wings and add my name to the Arthur Horsfield fan club?
    If King Arthur had any pace he'd have been a superstar, but his goals in that first season and his partnership with Killer as mentioned by March51 were a Godsend.
    Great header of the ball; I have an abiding memory of a cracker away at Peterborough in '75.
    I really miss centre forwards who were masters of the art of heading. Was Jimmy Melrose our last great one?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]5th.July 1952 to be exact Nigel. My dad and I caught and the no.38 from Abbey Wood to get to the Valley and yes March51 was my first game: lost 0-1 to Pompey! Afraid I wasn't around for games at the Mount but my old man went to the first game there. Afraid I'm not familiar with the song, but will look out for the cd: let us know when released. By the way, the trams were all scrapped at a large yard in Penhall Road, Charlton: they were stripped of anything useful, then burned: did wonders for the environment -it all came back as the London smog1[/quote]
    Hi March51.
    There are some great old photo's of the Trams on Toby & Johns Transport History website; you might have seen them.
    I grew up in Woolwich as a toddler in the 50's and moved to Abbey Wood Estate circa 1958.
    You may remember those days, before Thamesmead, when Abbey Wood was like the last outpost of London before Kent (I think the old border was Harrow Manorway?).
    Abbey Estate was bordered by the Sewer Bank and Woolwich Arsenal property on one side and the fields and Buckles farm all the way to the Belvedere gas holders.
    Now, I'd dearly love to have some photographs of all that before it was destroyed to build Thamesmead.
  • I know where you are (were) Six, my dad used to catch the train up to town from Abbey Wood station every day 'til we moved to Kent in '56. My mum used to collect for the Pru around that area and there were some cottages right out on the marshes: I can still remember as a nipper looking across the river at the big illuminated Ford sign on the Dagenham factory. Harrow Manor Way , as i remember, started at the level crossing then sort of split up, east to a sewage works and power station and west to Plumstead marshes. It was pretty bleak around there! Also remember the family piling in to my dad's Austin 7 to go and look at the floods of '53 which put everything south of the railway line under water. Did have some pics of the area but they disappeared in the Great Purge of '71 by my mum after i got married (see seperate thread of 4/5 weeks ago on that). Have got videos of transport in the area but thanks for the tip on trams. As for C/F headers I would suggest Andy Hunt and Superclive who could score with just about anything!
  • Matt Tees and Ron Saunders were awesome in the air also !
  • edited March 2009
    March 51 et al you are spot on and I pray forgiveness for leaving King Arthur out particularly as he was one of my favourites too. He even doubled as a decent Centre Back which rather puts to shame the sorts that are turning out for us these days.

So, Paolo, as you are from the modern generation, out you damn well go:

Charlie Wright
    Bob Curtis
    Jimmy Giles
    Terry Naylor
    Phil Warman
    Colin Powell
    Billy Bonds
    Harry Cripps
    Keith Peacock
    Derek Hales
    Paolo Di Canio
    Arthur Horsfield
  • Nothing to forgive AA, the thread is about characters and in those days we were spoilt for choice, unlike today. Perhaps De Canio could be player/manager as a consolation.
  • Roger Kirkpatrick as referee anyone ?