Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Don't bother going to the Valley tonight....

AFKA: A rallying call with a difference from Chizz

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=213

Comments

• But on the otherhand it is only a game of football ..................... I will be there.
  • nice enough post but a little condescending. the traffic posts were really just to help people get there on time and not miss out on the 90 minutes of supporting their team.
  • i_have_a_dream.jpg

Well said Chizz..
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]

Unless you care ...reallycare what happens. Unless you understand, deep down, that tonight is the game that canand willmake a difference.

Unless you know that, for ninety minutes, you're going to draw on all your memories of supporting Charlton over the years, and give it everything you've got from your seat in the stands, to make your bit of difference.

Unless you can arrive with expectation and become involved in the match. Unless you can cheer every name as it is read out; and cheer every player from the moment they step on the pitch to warm up until the moment they drag themselves off, having given everything they've got. Unless you can shout yourself hoarse in encouragement for the eleven Charlton players selected tonight. Unless you can make yourself heard, above the crowd, with yells of appreciation when it goes right and encouragement when it goes wrong.

Great post!

We are the 12th man.
    WE must play our part.

It's OUR battle too.
  • thankfully i shouldn't get stuck in any traffic tonight. so I'll be there.
  • Excellent Chizz, great piece.

I looked to Mystic Meg for a sign this morning, something to give me belief that fate may shine kindly on my Charlton-ness. But there was nothing, nowt so for that alone, i don't think i'll go tonight.

On the plus side, she did say that 'someone with a gift for joke-telling will be your new love', so at least i know i've got a few laughs in the pipeline. Every cloud and all that !
  • i'm going and looking forward to getting stuck in the traffic which will give me something else to moan about and take my mind of the FACT that we are going down ;-(
  • When your having sex, OoohAaargh ..... do you dream of Curbs?
    It would all seem so much better.

;o)
  • edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]When your having sex, OoohAaargh ..... do you dream of Curbs?
    It would all seem so much better.

;o)

yes i do..... don't tell my girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband tho......
    but when i'm with curbs i dream of mr south stand ;-)
  • or maybe when we do go down he won't suffer the massive surprise and disappointment of others !!
  • Sponsored links:

• LMFAO !!
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]nice enough post but a little condescending. the traffic posts were really just to help people get there on time and not miss out on the 90 minutes of supporting their team.

Blimey give the guy a break!

Top post Chizz.
  • Correlation between caring what happens and a positive outcome = zero. Sorry Chizz, nice sentiment, but fundamental flaw there. I really care about kids starving but I don't convince myself it's all going to stop just because I'd rather things weren't like that.

In both cases I'll do my bit (I'll explicitly say right here that Ill cheer the team on, as I always do - hangover permitting - but I imagine that many angrily responding to this will ignore this part), but ultimately I've done the maths in my head and I know what the proable outcome is. I'd not in any way discourage anyone who wants to come and pay money in at the gate and sit in relative silence (that's two sides of ground, skip). We kind of need the money right now

I deeply resent the implication that just because I refuse to get sucked into belief in an unlikely outcome, that I'm not a proper supporter. And here's the thing: if you're right you can say I told you so, and I'll be one of the happiest blokes around, so I cannot lose. If I'm right, worry not, I'll not be rubbing anyone's nose in it.

If I'm brutally honest it's the moon-faced optimism and general amiable nature of Charlton supporters that's lead us to sticking with various inept managers and not protesting about some of the horrors that have been inflicted on us in the last couple of years. In the end that may well have done as more damage than even the in-stadium moaning minnies and gloom merchants.

If you tolerate this, your children will be next.
  • like the angle you're coming from there mclovin.......
  • moon-faced optimism - like it.

but have we not moaned about the various inept managers that have been hoisted upon us? I think so. Theres been enough moaning on here. but anyway thats off topic.

sorry dansmudge but i didnt like the way we were made to feel bad about posting about traffic warnings. which is a right nightmare at the moment.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Correlation between caring what happens and a positive outcome = zero.
    Maybe. But you can only take that argument so far: I would say that we're more likely to win if the players care about the outcome. For fans: it's easier to get behind the team if you care about, believe in and anticipate a positive outcome. And for tonight, the only thing that's up for grabs is three points.
    I'll explicitly say right here that Ill cheer the team on, as I always do
    Then you're part of the solution, not part of the problem. All I'm asking for is plenty more like you.
    ... ultimately I've done the maths in my head and I know what the proable outcome is.
    Me too: hard-fought home win.
    I deeply resent the implication that just because I refuse to get sucked into belief in an unlikely outcome, that I'm not a proper supporter.
    Yes, I would resent that too, if anyone had made that implication.
    If I'm brutally honest it's the moon-faced optimism and general amiable nature of Charlton supporters that's lead us to sticking with various inept managers and not protesting about some of the horrors that have been inflicted on us in the last couple of years.
    You're probably right. But, I've always thought that the correlation between protesting and happy outcomes is zero.

Up The Addicks!
  • If, literally laugh out loud, we actually got to a Cup Final and we were playing, oh I don't know ......the Arse, Chel$ki, Manure, anybody - would the 'what's the point we're already down' brigade, just turn around and say, we'll get beat anyway, and just glumly turn up at Wembley?

I'd hope not.

What's the difference tonight? It's our cup final !

Just for once, couldn't we just put together a fervour of passion and excitement and raise a terrific cauldron of an atmosphere at The Valley tonight......?

We're fighting for our future. All of us.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]If, literally laugh out loud, we actually got to a Cup Final and we were playing, oh I don't know ......the Arse, Chel$ki, Manure, anybody - would the 'what's the point we're already down' brigade, just turn around and say, we'll get beat anyway, and just glumly turn up at Wembley?

I'd hope not.

What's the difference tonight? It's our cup final !

Just for once, couldn't we just put together a fervour of passion and excitement and raise a terrific cauldron of an atmosphere at The Valley tonight......?

We're fighting for our future. All of us.

Spot on.
  • if we all scream our heads off and create the worlds greatest atmosphere kelly youga still wont be a good player
  • Where was this wonderful atmos? A few pledging vocal support failed to deliver.

And what happened to our drummer? Given he seems to be on the injured list, is it wise to allow the opposition to bring theirs?
  • Sponsored links:

• our support is shit FACT just like our team
  • *cough* doom-mongers *cough*

;0)