Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darlington

Have gone into administration. Will lose ten points. Any other clubs to follow this route soon?

Comments

• Options
    They have a 25k stadium, despite only getting crowds of 3k. Reynolds has ruined that club.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh shit. Was rather fond of Darlington - as I lived in the North East for three years and they were the team nearest to me.

Nice ground (went a few times) but in all honesty it was a castle built for a mouse in a County Durham market town whose population is no more than 100000 and the impression I got during my time there is that none of the fans wanted to move out of Feethams.

Oh well this will stem the chances of promotion for another year (like it has been for the past 16 or so years).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]They have a 25k stadium, despite only getting crowds of 3k. Reynolds has ruined that club.

They just needed to achieve what Hull City have achieved ... nigh on bottom of the 4th Division to the Prem inside 5 years.
    That's all.

;o)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]They have a 25k stadium, despite only getting crowds of 3k. Reynolds has ruined that club.[/quote]

They just needed to achieve what Hull City have achieved ... nigh on bottom of the 4th Division to the Prem inside 5 years.
    That's all.

;o)[/quote]

Unlikely as fans in the locality are defecting to Mackems

and crime.

Also the rest of the poplace have absolutely no interest in pumping any money into the club.
  • Options
    That's a shame, they were having a pretty good season.
  • Options
    Whilst trying to ignore the obvious empathy with the likes of Darlo, Bournemouth, Luton etc etc I do find the whole demise of the small Club extremely sad.

The irony is that one week's wages of a top Premiership footballer would be enough to stave off administration for a lot of these smaller Clubs. Not that Carlos Kickaball really gives a damn. Come to think of it one three year deal for a player that never even kicks a ball for a Championship Team would be enough if you follow my drift!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Whilst trying to ignore the obvious empathy with the likes of Darlo, Bournemouth, Luton etc etc I do find the whole demise of the small Club extremely sad.

The irony is that one week's wages of a top Premiership footballer would be enough to stave off administration for a lot of these smaller Clubs. Not that Carlos Kickaball really gives a damn. Come to think of it one three year deal for a player that never even kicks a ball for a Championship Team would be enough if you follow my drift!

Agreed AA. Getting tougher and tougher ever year for those sorts of clubs to exist. Living in Bournemouth you see shirts of every other team around it seems but fewer and fewer Cherries shirts each year. Going to be a lot of teams going to the wall in the next few years I think and a big case of not appreciating what you have until it's gone.

BTW Eddie Howe at Bournemouth is doing a great job in making up those 15 points and defo one to keep an eye on for the future.
  • Options
    Wasn't Curbs interested in Ernie Howe at one point?

Given the mess the Banks have got themselves into who's to say that one of the really big Clubs doesn't go to the wall a la Leeds. What would happen to Chelski if Abramovich suddenly left for whatever reason? What would those passionate supporters of the last 5 years do then?
  • Options
    It was mentioned the other day that Man U's revenuie from TV is £49.5 mill, veryu similar to the value of a championship Club languishing at the bottom of the Championship.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Whilst trying to ignore the obvious empathy with the likes of Darlo, Bournemouth, Luton etc etc I do find the whole demise of the small Club extremely sad.

Agreed AA. Getting tougher and tougher ever year for those sorts of clubs to exist. Living in Bournemouth you see shirts of every other team around it seems but fewer and fewer Cherries shirts each year. Going to be a lot of teams going to the wall in the next few years I think and a big case of not appreciating what you have until it's gone.

BTW Eddie Howe at Bournemouth is doing a great job in making up those 15 points and defo one to keep an eye on for the future.

Rotherham have already made up their deficit and I hope Bournemouth manage it too. Luton have tried but 30 points is just too much!

I do feel that punishments are proportionately more severe as you descend the scale.

Compare 30 points for Luton with a fine of £5million and no points penalty for Premiership West Ham!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah but Luton made the mistake of being honest albeit after the event.

And a Division 3 can hardly mount the same legal challenge that a Premier Club are able to, so the powers that be have rather less to fear from the clubs lower down the scale.
  • Options
    Gutted. Darlo was one away game I was really looking forward to next season as they were gunning for promotion. I have mates up there and it would have been an excellent trip.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Wasn't Curbs interested in Ernie Howe at one point?

Given the mess the Banks have got themselves into who's to say that one of the really big Clubs doesn't go to the wall a la Leeds. What would happen to Chelski if Abramovich suddenly left for whatever reason? What would those passionate supporters of the last 5 years do then?

Dunno about Ernie but I think a number of clubs looked at Eddie Howe ;-)

Far too good a player at that level and went to Portsmouth eventually but picked up a serious injury not long after and that was that for his playing career. Still only 32 which makes what he's doing at Bournemouth all the better.