Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Greatest Transfer Rumours to Have Never Happened

Comments

• Options
    We were linked with both Portillo and Saviola weren't we?

I'm sure there was something about us being linked with two Sporting players, Ronaldo and Quaresma. Was on teletext, one of those clubcall type things I think.

We were always linked with Niemi. We actually had him on loan as back up in 99/00, linked with him permanently a few times after that.
  • Options
    Chipperfield?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]jeremy goss

He failed the medical - I know this because I saw him and Curbs at Fawkham Manor hospital on the same day I had my leg cast taken off! I was most surprised
  • Options
    Bosman was linked with us I recall
  • Options
    What was the story with Cahill?

I heard he was at The Valley for talks and was ready to sign but then got a call from Everton - or is that a load of poppycock?

Also, I'm sure we were linked with the Croatian striker Ivica Olic.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    wasnt he at the same club as bowen in japan Swis? they both were gona come? but we ended up with just bowen?
  • Options
    As I understood it, Cahill needed to move away from the area.
    Threats related to his brother andsome dodgy gambling pals. (allegedly).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]It was Portillo. I'm sure I saw a serious article in an old Voice of The Valley that said we'd had a close look at Oliver Bierhoff.

That's actually true, because he scored a hattrick against us in the Anglo Italian. He was available, but I think we gave Kim Grant another contract instead ...

It was true but he only scored one against us for Ascoli,the bloke that scored the hat trick was playing for Pisa when they beat us 3-0
  • Options
    Morientes after having a picture taken in a Charlton Shirt (as part of his Joma deal.)
  • Options
    Wasn't the Joma photoshoot when the Jav Sav one started as well?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    few more here from a similar thread not that long ago...

www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=21263
  • Options
    I think mine is better.
  • Options
    SINK!!!
  • Options
    Beihoff did score a hat trick at the Valley and we offerred around £100,000 for him but Pisa wanted more

It was also def Saviola that was linked to us as well as Flamani ( he was in the UK nad about to sign for us but Arsenal hijacked the deal )

I also read part of John Hartson's autobiography in WH Smith last week - he was going to sign for us for around £6 m and spent all day with Curbs having a medical.........failed it and the rest is history (2001 I believe - we went on to sign Jason Euell instead)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bierhoff didn't play for Pisa it was Ascoli. He then went to Udinese and then ended up at AC Milan.
  • Options
    We get linked with James Scowcroft frequently.
  • Options
    Yordan Letchkov and I think Balakov were offered to us for a couple of hundred grand each. Apparently a CAFC fan who was a BBC journo in Bulgaria recommended them.

I don't remember Flamini. He'd signed a pre-contract before the 2004 Uefa final with Arsenal, Marseille were moaning all the way up to and after the final.

Mateja Kezman. Think that was a definite as he was often quoted as saying why would I sign for a club lesser than PSV. Made sense and always pointed to the obvious that Rommedahl was rotten against top opposition; have to say still was excited by Rommedahl I thought he'd be a little more effective than he was.
  • Options
    we did have flamini nearly join us fact
  • Options
    Steve Portway ;-)
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited February 2009
    Who was the guy that played for Welling and banged in loads of goals?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ian harte
    darren moore
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Who was the guy that played for Welling and banged in loads of goals?

That'd be John Bartley Dave.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited February 2009
    Cheers Dave.
  • Options
    Gudjohnsen from Bolton

Sammy Kuffour from Bayern.

Drogba from Marseille
  • Options
    Yeah that Javier Portillo from Real Madrird was a classic with all the Joma hype. There was even some bloke on Netaddicks that reckoned he knew the flight number of his flight into Heathrow. I think he called himself The Mole or The Spy I think.
  • Options
    Hidetoshi Nakata before he went to bolton
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Anthony Stokes (?), just after Pardew joined, even confirmed he had signed on his own website, then went to Sunderland. Same time scottish central defender (Hearts captain?) who even came to the valley, but decided champs leaguewith celtic better than relegation with us. Antony Gardener spurs crocked central defender
  • Options
    Curbs to leave us in Circa2003 to go to Spuds, told on Netaddicks by The_Spy, he said it was LOCKED ON-FACT.
    Whatever happened to The_Spy?
  • Options
    Kevin Keegan was rumoured to be a target before he went to Newcastle. We signed Alan Simonsen instead
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Who was the guy that played for Welling and banged in loads of goals?

That'd be John Bartley Dave.

Was a best mate of my Old Mans growing up. Shared a flat together I believe. Don't think hes seen him in ages, but he went on to play for Milwall and Charlton were after him at the same time. It never worked out for him at Milwall and then god knows what happend.

My Dad always said he had the ability to go to the top but loved the lifestyle to much and never really got hes chance with the so called big boys down at millwall. He score 520 odd goals in 400 games I believe.