Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players just good enough for Charlton

Seeing Kevin Nolan playing for Newcastle and numerous other Wigan players playing everywhere, today made me think.

Whilst we were in the Premiership, how many of our players actually moved to a Premier League club, I can think of Parker of the top of my head, the Royce who went to Leicester, Jensen, Fulham, Konchesky but am struggling after that.
4 players in six seasons progressing to a arguable better club.
Was this because our players werent really as good as what we believed and they just played well in a team under Curbs or did other Prem clubs miss the signing of a lifetime.

Can anybody remember others?

Who do you think could have made an impact at a 'better' club than ours whilst in the Prem?

Comments

• Options
    Mills, Thomas, Benty, Young, Murphy, Reid.

People like Rufus, Powell, Deano definitely would have been able to hold there own at most other Prem clubs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Mills, Thomas, Benty, Young, Murphy, Reid.

People like Rufus, Powell, Deano definitely would have been able to hold there own at most other Prem clubs.

He said 'whilst' we were in The Premiership.
  • Options
    Okay scrub Thomas and Reid from that list then. The other's didn't kick a ball for us outside the Premiership, well Mills did but that was on the way up rather than on the way down, and they left for clubs with bigger fan bases and more history of success, so didn't just get a move to another mid-table to relegation type club because we needed to sell, so I think they count .

Kinsella also moved to Villa and Traore moved to Pompey.

Who did we sell Euell to?
  • Options
    I want to say 'boro, or was he on a free?
  • Options
    That's right, it was Boro, I remember now and I think we got a fee, although it wasn't particularly substantial.
  • Options
    We sold Euell to Boro for 300,000
  • Options
    Kinsella to villa
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Was Herman one?

ALso didin't Graeme stuart join Norwich who were in the premier league at the time
  • Options
    Were Norwich in the Prem when they signed Svensson?
  • Options
    I'm quite sure that Herman was free to Pompey upon relegation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Yep, Svensson went to Norwich in the Prem.

Keily went to Pompey from us.

Chris Powell went to Watford.

Andy Todd to Blackburn.

And the players like Mills, Benty, Young, Herman sold after relegation but would have played their final game for us in the Prem, should definitely count.
  • Options
    Some players were with us for the whole of our (second) time in the Prem and got old with us.

Kishishev and Bartlett were too old for Prem football by the time they left us but could have done a decent job for any mid table or below Prem club.
  • Options
    There was a young chap called Parker who we offloaded to Chelsea, i think they were prem at the time.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Some players were with us for the whole of our (second) time in the Prem and got old with us.

Kishishev and Bartlett were too old for Prem football by the time they left us but could have done a decent job for any mid table or below Prem club.[/quote]

NOBODY else would have signed Kish - sorry Len - he went down and down quickly after he left us - bombed out at Leicester and Leeds and off the face of the earth quickly afterwards. Punched above his weight for a long time and good luck to him - but he was not a very talented footballer and got a little lucky with playing for Charlton and surrounded by very good midfielders
  • Options
    Personally I thought Kish did all the donkey work allowing the more gifted players to play and improved immensely when Di Canio arrived as suddenly he looked more skillful. As I have said elsewhere on another tread Kish is still my cult hero.
  • Options
    Don't forget Konchesky to the Spammers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stubs1310[/cite]Personally I thought Kish did all the donkey work allowing the more gifted players to play and improved immensely when Di Canio arrived as suddenly he looked more skillful. As I have said elsewhere on another tread Kish is still my cult hero.

Kish did brilliantly at Leeds on loan, and played a huge part in their end of season run-in Great Escape attempt which almost resulted in their staying up - before they tried to cheat the system by going into Administration.

At Leicester, he was as much victim of club politics - 3 managers in the 1st month, was it? .... before his face didn't fit.

Kish could from time to time pick a decent pass or a killer throughball, and show much more ability than many give credit for. But most importantly, he did a job for the team, played strictly to his manager's instructions, wore his heart on his sleeve and always gave 100% - which was why he invariably was always on the teamsheet.

The problem with Kish
    is that he tried to do more than just his own job, and by doing the tracking somebody else didn't do and making the forward run somebody else didn't make, he was always running at full tilt.

And it's difficult to have good composure and a great 1st touch playing breathlessly at 100 mph.
    Ask Nicky Bailey.

Because he was more involved than many others, then as percentages will tell you, he would make more mistakes.
    And the work he did off the ball was definitely valued by his manager - even if some supporters couldn't see it.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Kish = great=tried as hard as he could to the best of his ability not like Varney who promised so much tried just as hard but never believed he was good enough kish had the heart of a lion and the touch of an elephant but did so much good for us
  • Options
    Claus Jensen to Fulham and Danny Murphy to Spuds.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Kish could from time to time pick a decent pass or a killer throughball, and show much more ability than many give credit for.

He did and even showed the occasional bit of skill. Just didn't always come off and that's what frustrated people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw the other day Kishishev has gone back to his old club in Bulgaria, Litex.

Number 25
  • Options
    Perhaps, someone should start a thread called, "Charlton players with the biggest heart" .... ?

Throw in Steve Brown, Kish of course ..........
  • Options
    Konch went on loan to spurs!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Perhaps, someone should start a thread called, "Charlton players with the biggest arse" .... ?

JFH, David Whyte
  • Options
    Steve Brown
    Peter Garland
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Perhaps, someone should start a thread called, "Charlton fans with the biggest arse" .... ?

Come on, own up ....!!

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Perhaps, someone should start a thread called, "Charlton fans with the biggest arse" .... ?

Come on, own up ....!!

;o)

Over here Guv, currently tipping the scales at 14st 11Ibs, and I need to get down in the 12s somewhere before the run in september. The offical weigh in is on sunday and the training starts the same day.
  • Options
    The late Freddie Trueman always said that a decent fast bowler has a big backside.

That's a good enough excuse for me although there are plenty who would dispute that I ever was a decent fast bowler despite trying to be!