Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Going to UFC tonight

at the O2. Ringside seats apparently.

Not my cup of tea but interested to see what its like as an 'event'.

Far prefer Boxing but as its a freebie. . .

Comments

• Options
    mate electric i you like a real bang up it is the place to be tonight
  • Options
    I would rather be banged up personally. Blood sport for humans, nasty.
  • Options
    You will love it mate, not the same as boxing but very exciting
  • Options
    Is this the stuff known as "sports entertainment"? So called because if it were a sport the participants would all have been banned for steroid abuse.
  • Options
    no mate that is WWE

UFC is governend and drug abuse not tollerated
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Watched it recently on tele in Miami, horribly violent.
  • Options
    Setting the sports world afire over here. I don't get it and don't want to. Completely uncivilized and full of nothing but raw, brutal violence for my money. That said (whatever this says about North Americans), terribly, terribly popular. It's very controversial, but in the 18 to 45 demographic, I think it's safe to say I'm in the distinct minority.
  • Options
    mate it is very popular here to, it has filled a void in the market some boxing matches have been to poncey for years and this delivers pure blood thirsty action which most people watch boxing for
  • Options
    That's fair. Just really, really not my thing. I figure that there's enough brutality in the world without adding more strictly for the sake of entertainment, but I recogize that I'm far outnumbered on this one!
  • Options
    horses for courses bud i have got it on right now whilst on here and i am loving it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    what side u sicko
  • Options
    sultana1
  • Options
    wank*rs channell,sooner they tossers go out of business the better.
  • Options
    i make you right i subscribed just for this sport when it was on bravo it was blinding
  • Options
    The English guy Dan Hardy just KO'd the yank with the best punch of the night so far POW straight on the temple Booooooooom and night night Yankee
  • Options
    2nd huge KO from a punch of the evening fuking awsome
  • Options
    if anyone has got sultana

diago sanchez vs joe stevenson promises some intense brutal violence
  • Options
    Hope you had a good night Falconwood1 it was good on the box
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]wank*rs channell,sooner they tossers go out of business the better.

Why exactly? They show a lot of football, including lots of European football, some great boxing fights and the UFC. If you're into all that then you can't go wrong. If you're not then don't pay for it. Simple really.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't like the fact that despit already shelling out for sky sports and more for pay per view fights I still do not get all the sport that is on the box. It's a bloody conspiracy!! Calzaghe, Haye, even Cotto v Jennings tonight is on sultana and to be honest I won't pay the subscription for that on top of what I do already and will be more than happy to go hunting for those fights on the web via live feeds. My mates wife takes a dim view of me rocking up at his place for fights like that to be honest. And the pub don't do the old lock ins anymore for the boxing because the al-jazeera or whatever he has the football through don't do boxing!!

Not Setantas fault but I wish they would just leave the current rip-off merchants alone to do it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's NOT my idea of sport and should not be described as such.
  • Options
    SA

i think it is harsh that bud horses for courses it is a sport the same as any other for of martial art
  • Options
    watched it last night thought all the fights were pretty good.

Orginally I didnt like it, but as you get into it you understand how skillful it really is.

in one fight last night, one of the fighters brought the other guy down with a good leg sweep which in one move he turned into a triangle choke. (the guys head was in between his legs) and the guy tapped out.

It is not all punching the guy until he is unconcious, in fact, most fights are stopped before a guy takes too much punishment.
  • Options
    It was a good nights fighting, and particularly good to see two Brits doing well.
  • Options
    Skillful perhaps but so was gladatorial combat. Should be banned.
  • Options
    Glad to see I'm not totally alone on this one SHG and Soundas...I'm sympathetic to the horses for courses argument, but personally find this stuff really troubling.
  • Options
    It is not all punching the guy until he is unconcious, in fact, most fights are stopped before a guy takes too much punishment.

That makes it all right then...
  • Options
    There's far fewer people injured in UFC than boxing.

Although it can get very bloody, the ref's are on hand to step in very quickly if someone looks in trouble. For instance last night one of the fighters walked into an upper cut, and looked completely out of it, the referee stepped straight away and stopped it, the downed fighter then appeared to recover his senses, but it was too late, and the fight was over.

Sometime's as a fan, it may seem as though the ref step's in to early, but the health of the fighter's must come first.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Guys there will be pro's and cons, fans and those that dont like all full contact sports, i dont think those that dislike the sport have seen it evolve from bar room brawlers to the skilled martial artists that they are now, and that is fine by me i wouldnt dream of imposing my values and will upon others and if you dont like it you just dont watch it.

Can Addick

you have one of the best skilled super stars of the sport hearlding from your country of choice, a highly skilled Karate champion called George St pierre he was a master at Karate before the UFC came along and gave him the chance to use his Skills and evolve them to make him one of the meanest toughest son of a bitch on the planet, If you were to listen to him or meet him he is a fine human being with great values and then you discover his desire to master the UFC without crossing the lines of thuggery that you have the opinion of,

It is a sport it is fast furious and violent but it is also skillfull, tough, honest and fair

incrediably hard to achieve the results in uFC and something that can give so much to those who have never been paid for their Judo,Mutai,Karate,Jujitsu in the same way that the so called superstar boxers have.

When i was a kid i wanted to know who would win a fight between a Karate man and a boxer now i get to find out
  • Options
    Oh, trust me...I know about GSP! One of the national sports TV networks here actually named him Athlete of the Year 2008...

It was kind of you not to mention the cheating allegations against him and his cornerman. ;-)

I really do appreciate how even-handed you are being in defending UFC. Not everyone is, and it's open-minded of you to acknowledge that people's perceptions of it can differ significantly. The only thing that I will say is that although you may be right that this is regulated, and not about "thuggery", it's certainly not promoted that way. It is promoted (at least here) as being little more than the bar-room brawl in a ring that you feel that it has moved past.

At the end of the day, I look at UFC the same way that I look at smoking. I don't like either, and don't want to try either just in case I turned out to like them! ;-)

By the way, your point about wanting to know who would win a fight between those from different disciplines is well taken.