Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Autograph Hunting behind the Old Stand

Having just commented on Keith Peacock, reminded me of the 50 or so of us who used to stay after the game in the early 60's collecting autographs and chatting to players. In those days it was not unusual also to see a player or two on the bus on the way home. Johnny Summers was one I remeber who I think lived in Catford at the time. Is there anyone out there who remembers doing the same?

Comments

• Options
    Sat in the back of Paul Walsh's Capri for all of 30 seconds. circa 81/82, whilst getting his autograph in the main car park.
  • Options
    As a kid I stood by the players door from about 1.30pm every game getting autographs/annoying the players.

Waiting for Superstars like Les Berry.
  • Options
    I got on the pitch at a testimonial I think it was to get Steve Perrymans autograph and he told me to go away .

Upset me it did
  • Options
    I used to get them all of the time at reserve games at Welling.

Would bomb onto the pitch after the game to get them. I got a really young Ray Parlour's autograph once.
  • Options
    And me, that 10 foot chain link fence around the office what was that office for? I thought it might have been a reception is that right? I always remember Mr Stone standing in there welcoming the players as they arrived.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: east terrace peanuts[/cite]Having just commented on Keith Peacock, reminded me of the 50 or so of us who used to stay after the game in the early 60's collecting autographs and chatting to players. In those days it was not unusual also to see a player or two on the bus on the way home. Johnny Summers was one I remeber who I think lived in Catford at the time. Is there anyone out there who remembers doing the same?

Yes that's right, Johnny Summers would take the bus a lot of the time to The Valley for training and as often as not if the weather was good he'd cycle from his home in Arngask Road in Catford....His son John still lives in the same house.
    John Junior was my best mate and I lived a five minute walk from their place, we attended Catford Boys School in Brownhill Road (John was in the year above me)...it's hard to believe when considering how it went rapidly down hill but it was a damn good school back in those days and we were fantastic at sport....we used to THRASH Crown Woods at everything....LOL!
  • Options
    Got loads of programmes autographed back then but they were the ones me mum threw away (see seperate thread: treasured possessions).