Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sat Nav advice please

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Google maps is awful for getting around London. It happily leads you into traffic jams and chooses some pretty slow routes for no good reason. I drive a lot for my job and use Waze. It's not perfect but it does have real time traffic information and has taught me loads of back street rat runs. Its also a free app.
  • Options
    I need something that's easy to use, will be used for mainly central London, east London and parts of North London.
  • Options
    Garmin
  • Options
    I got a Garmin about a month ago. Its bloody incredible
  • Options

i only use mine for the last 5 mins of a journey to find a actual address, you don't need a sat nav to get to a city that's just commom sense.

This,
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, and yes I will use it for finding an actual address or place that I haven't been to or know.

• Options
    I have tried about 3 different sat navs. If you ever use them on a trip where you know the best route, they are laughable, as others have said, last five minutes only
  • Options
    Don't most cars now have Sat Navs fitted?
  • Options
    at the other end of the market you cant beat this for all around quality.

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/all_in_one/DNX4230DAB/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used my Thai Garmin Nuvi 40 with UK map SD card during my recent UK visit and it was very good. A couple of hiccups as even the latest map does not have the roads around the Olympic Park for some reason, and it seemed to invent a road across a field in Gloucestershire but otherwise I was extremely happy with it.
  • Options

Forgot that everyone in affluent Sheffield has a new car.
  • Options
    When I bought my iphone 3GS I also got the tom-tom app which at the time was 60 quid but has free lifetime updates. I think it's now about £28 on ios and slightly less on android and works brilliantly .
  • Options

I have tried about 3 different sat navs. If you ever use them on a trip where you know the best route, they are laughable, as others have said, last five minutes only

I know what you are saying about route selection but my built-in jobbie can save and "learn" a route.
    Anyway, I nearly always have mine on even on routes I know well. The best feature on a satnav is the live traffic info. Twice satnavs have saved me from missing flights out of LHR by diverting off the M25 before I hit the queue for accidents. Again before hitting the queue at the Blackwall which was shut it once saved me from missing a Charlton game by diverting me through the Rotherhithe. That makes them invaluable imo.

No they are usually an expensive extra on up-market vehicles....
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I know what you are saying about route selection but my built-in jobbie can save and "learn" a route.
    Anyway, I nearly always have mine on even on routes I know well. The best feature on a satnav is the live traffic info. Twice satnavs have saved me from missing flights out of LHR by diverting off the M25 before I hit the queue for accidents. Again before hitting the queue at the Blackwall which was shut it once saved me from missing a Charlton game by diverting me through the Rotherhithe. That makes them invaluable imo.

No they are usually an expensive extra on up-market vehicles....

Agree on the live traffic updates, always have mine on for the same reason
  • Options
    Have you found a job then Badger ?
  • Options

Have you found a job then Badger ?

Yes, Delivery driver.
    I will be going into Central London and although I used to multi drop into central London many years ago it has probably changed since I last visited . The reason I want to get a sat Nav is because of the road changes and also there might be places that I will need to go to which are not familiar to me, I need something to get me from a-b Quickly
    I Know how to get in and out and off course i know short cuts and back doubles but I will need some help along the way, a sat nav will be good for me.
  • Options
    Well done mate. Brilliant news.
  • Options
    Great news badger I will stay in touch if you get stuck just pop me a pm
  • Options

Well done mate. Brilliant news.

Ta.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Great news badger I will stay in touch if you get stuck just pop me a pm

Will do.
  • Options
    The Garmins with the speed limit and camera warning features is worth every penny IMO.