Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky backs Ambrose to make big impact

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/sport.cfm?id=6675&headline=Parky%20backs%20Ambrose%20to%20make%20impact

Comments

• Options
    What an enigma Ambrose is.

I sometimes wonder whether Curbs bought him simply because he was Darren Bent's best mate as much as anything and he thought it would help Benty settle.

The thing is he is talented in his own right. Despite appearing to mince around the pitch aimlessly much of the time or alternatively go missing completely he picks up 8 or 9 goals a season and the same number of assists or more.

That said I think we need blood, thunder and fight in a relegation scrap and they do not appear to be Dazzer's forte.

As I said on another thread Ambrose is more naturally endowed (with talent all you double entendre merchants!!) than Bailey but who would you rather have battling for you?
  • Options
    Interesting time for Ambrose.

Out of contract in the summer and, IMHO, unlikely to get another contract with CAFC.

When to Ipswich and didn't seem to do it or maybe they couldn't afford him.

24 now so no longer a young promising talent. Not really done enough to warrant a Prem club but has not impressed at two fairly decent CCC clubs (if not, to be fair, decent CCC teams).

So where does he go now?

Interesting that Parky is talking him up. A bit of psychology perhaps to gee him up or looking to move him on.
  • Options
    Only 24? He seems to have been around forever.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Only 24? He seems to have been around forever.

Lloyd Sam, "a promising youngster," is 6 months younger than Ambrose.
  • Options
    To me, he hasnt the mentality or the drive to be a top footballer.

He has talent, and i would hazard a guess in training he is probably the most impressive player there. But he can't transfer it to a matchday because he simply doesn't have that fire, oomph to go out there and outperform.

Hugely frustrating.
  • Options
    Players like Ambrose will often be perceived negatively because they're not charging around yelling and kissing the badge. It doesn't mean he cares any less than someone who is - always pays to get the fans onside and don't some players know it.

It's definitely a crunch year. He thought that Ipswich was a done deal, and must have been shocked when his boyhood team sent him packing. Parky made the comment at the time that DA had to now really knuckle down and earn his next contract as he should have seen that things weren't going to be as easy for him going forward. It's not happened so far though, to be fair.

Personally, I deeply hope he gets it together. While Bailey and Soares did well on Saturday both drifted inside constantly which left us very narrow and a better team could have overrun the full backs. I'd prefer to do without a good player and have players that are suited to the position.
  • Options
    Don't see where he's going to fit in at the moment. The same with ZZ.
  • Options
    It just takes an injury, suspension or re-shuffle elsewhere in the team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]Don't see where he's going to fit in at the moment. The same with ZZ.

you make ZZ fit in, i really believe that if ZZ was fit all year we would not be where we are.
  • Options
    I'd rather Ambrose didn't bother. He doesn't appear to have the stomach for a relegation battle, so is no use to us.

Go and be an enigma elsewhere Darren.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasted talent, if only he had the fire in his belly!!!
  • Options
    Circumstances?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    here is his new shirt for his role just behind dickson..

• Options
    edited February 2009
    "Oh I like that - do they do that in pink" Says Sharon upon viewing this thread
  • Options
    Darren Ambrose is not the sort of player we need in a relegation battle, especially at Barnsley and the like.
  • Options
    24? Jeez, I've probably got fluff in my belly button older than him!
  • Options
    24? Wow we really did sign him and Benty as young talent I wonder if Sharon looks at Darren and thinks fcuk where did i go wrong - My reply is the same i had for JThomas Effort.
    All 3 skilled players but only Darren Bent put effort in.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The subject of Ambrose and his character and ablities comes on here fairly regularly. Most of the views about him good or bad have surfaced again on this thread.

To me, like Len says, he is an enigma. A talented footballer who seems always to fail to make the most of his talent, yet many would say, and there is merit in this, that if you look at the games he plays for us, he is often the player who is involved in the key moments in games.

I think his best position is just behind the main striker. I think if I was managing him, I send him on a self-assertion course, one that draws him out of his shell. I'd also employ a motivational coach just for him.

It is noticable to me that since he went to Ipswich and failed to get a contract, he has looked more up for it, even heading the ball on occasions. If somebody can get into his head and switch on the parts of the brain to do with deterimination and tenacity, he could still play at the highest level.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]24? Wow we really did sign him and Benty as young talent I wonder if Sharon looks at Darren and thinks fcuk where did i go wrong - My reply is the same i had for JThomas Effort.
    All 3 skilled players but only Darren Bent put effort in.[/quote]

Both Ambrose and Thomas lack the acceleration and speed of Bent and therein lies the problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]It just takes an injury, suspension or re-shuffle elsewhere in the team.

Or a recall or two
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So you think that Parkinsella was talking up Ambrose because we hadn't heard from Stoke about the Soares loan being extended?
  • Options
    Maybe.
    But probably not.

He's no doubt had a heart to heart with Ambrose - and said something like, "with your ability, Prem and U-21 experience. you should be the first name on my team sheet.

"So, why aren't you .... ????"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So you think that Parkinsella was talking up Ambrose because we hadn't heard from Stoke about the Soares loan being extended?

No, He knows he is not going anywhere so he needs to make him feel he is important to us because we may well need him.
    Just think he is trying to get everyone in the squad right frame of mind and pulling together for the massive battle we have ahead. Think its the right thing to say at this time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Show_Me_The_Mouni[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]24? Wow we really did sign him and Benty as young talent I wonder if Sharon looks at Darren and thinks fcuk where did i go wrong - My reply is the same i had for JThomas Effort.
    All 3 skilled players but only Darren Bent put effort in.

Both Ambrose and Thomas lack the acceleration and speed of Bent and therein lies the problem.

That's the best post on the thread, because it deals in something that is objective and correct rather than trying to analyse the man's state of mind based on the way he does his hair or walks out onto the pitch or claps the fand or any of the other made up bullshit we've had.