Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you ever appeared in court?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]My witnesses where shocking! - Thread and Ooh Aah

deny everything!
  • Options
    As Clem says, I was a juror on the Jonathan King molesting young boys case....not a pretty experience and nothing like Ally McBeal at all....

Got called up again a few years later and said I couldn't do it as I'd had weeks off work for the Jonathan King case and couldn't they find someone else....
  • Options
    called up for jury service 3 times, though only had to do it twice.
    also was a witness at a coroners court.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Jury service once at Woolwich got two assault cases...on the last day of the second case the accused was on the same bus as me on the way to court

i did jury service at woolwich and that seems to happen all the time. Similar stuff happened to me and a lot of the people i spoke to. It would be so easy for people to be intimidated or threatened.
  • Options
    Oh well here goes...

Once at the Bailey as a victim of Demanding money with Menaces. Both blokes were found guilty.

er...and currently on bail, next at court thursday with trial in September. Not Guilty of course.
  • Options
    Two weeks Jury service in Kingston. Very boring...people kept pleading guilty at the last minute, so after hanging around for a long morning would eventually get sent home.
    Sat on one case. Cop knicked a kid for glue sniffing. We got him off. Judge not happy that we believed his evidence rather than the cop.
  • Options
    I have done jury service twice first was rubbish, waste of my time, second was 13 week fraud trial of two Customs officers doing a VAT fiddle, found em guilty with me as foreman, then a year or so later on a ferry heading for France the two we found guilty were sat opposite me on the boat......we moved sharpish. Still the 13 weeks paid for a holiday, sadly I ahd to take ther ex wife with me....two headed beast....
  • Options
    Been a character witness for a friend at a magistrates court. Also attended the Royal Courts of Justice to hear the decision on a very large civil case involving my company.
  • Options
    Did you feel a bit of pressure being a character witness for a mate?
  • Options
    Have represented someone in court in a professional capacity. (Seriously, stop laughing at the back)

Also, have had to turn down jury service on three occassions on account of my previous employment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thankfully no.

I got called for Jury service once but told them as I was diabetic I may have to eat at certain times. They wrote back saying I was excused and I've never been asked since. They didn't make any checks or even asked for my doctors details.

The thing was, I wasn't even trying to get out of it (was even looking forward to 2 weeks away from work!)
  • Options
    Jury Service once - waste of my time. One case involved stealing a bag of beers from a party.........

Acted as witness for friends on 2 occasions - both found not guilty.

Three times giving evidence - Bertie Smalls!

Twice when invited to attend for misdemenours - obstruction and breach of the peace.
  • Options
    Jury service many years ago at the Bailey, rape case, gave the scumbags guilty, unused juror at Belmarsh 15 years ago, sat there for 2 days before being sent home, witness for 2 friends in Charlton related cases and been sentenced in Crown Court myself once.
  • Options
    Neither me or any of my family hvae been called for jury service? is there any reason - i.e. if someone had a criminal record? not me.

not so far luckily, was due to give evidence at the Old Bailey behind a screen last year as witness to a stabbing... the shit head changed to guilty luckily.
  • Options
    I couldn't think of anything worse than Jury Service. Unless it was a blinder of a case I'd be falling asleep. I don't think I could sit still for that long.

Thankfully never had the dishonour.
  • Options
    I found the actual time spent in court interesting although there is a lot of waiting around.

Take a good book/iPod/suduko book with you if you are every called.

The jury room was an interesting study in group dynamics as well.

If and when you get called seems a bit of lucky dip. I've been called up 4 times but at 3 at different addresses in different court areas.
  • Options
    when i was doing my law o level we went to the Old Bailey for a day... the case that was being heard was a large punch up down 2001 (t's) in Erith. (roughly 1985)
  • Options
    Jury service twice great experience, one case where a Iranian guy propositioned a "Lady of the Night" and agreed a fee of £500 for a BJ, (I kid you not) he returned after visiting his bank and handing over the cash, she asked him to meet her in fifteen minutes at a local hotel!! needless to say she went in the other direction. the jury was split all the Ladies wanting her sent to jail (for being a trollop), all the guys thinking she was a top girl (although expensive) and admiring her smart thinking and wishing the Iranian guy could be locked up for being a doughnut.
    I cant say anymore, as a juror we are not allowed to discuss any case outside the building ;-)
  • Options
    far to many jurists and not enough herberts-------------------must try harder
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]far to many jurists and not enough herberts
    must try harder

Some of us just don't get caught!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have had to appear many times as a witness in Magistrates and Crown due to my job (trading standards). First time as a kid of 18, many years ago, you are literally cacking it as you appreciate how much effort has gone into getting a case that far and feel the responsibility not to mess it up for everyone else but these days.....just another day in the office as it were. I'll tell you what, courts are a lot more informal now than they were 20-25 years ago too. Can't believe the way that some people dress for a court appearance for starters.

Pleaded guilty to a flipping parking offence, of all things, about 20 years ago too...what a waste of everyone's time.
  • Options
    Have never done jury service but have been to a number of courts. Nuff said guv
  • Options
    Yes but it was not me, it was the one-armed man.
  • Options
    Threadkiller done good, years later, with a bit of sledging outside a Dartford night club!
    Cheers mate!