Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stan Collymore

has courted controversy over the years but the utmost respect to him for addressing the taboo subject of depression on Talksport this morning.

Comments

• I like him on TalkSport - he's very good.
  • yeah I like him to on there, love his song they play before call Collymore
  • A thread on Charlton Life about depression. Who'd have thought it. : - )

Seriously, it's not a nice thing and as much a illness as gout or anything else.
  • Yes, sounds like poor old Stan has suffered badly from this particular condition over the years. All credit to him for admitting it & being prepared to discuss it.
  • Yes thank you Henry
  • Stan really likeable on Talksport, I remember being surprised to hear him use a five syllable word on there once! He must've been p-ed off that he had a body double in that film where he gets jiggy with Sharon Stone? :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]has courted controversy over the years but the utmost respect to him for addressing the taboo subject of depression on Talksport this morning.

Similarly Marcus Trescothick has discussed his problems with depression publically.
  • Jeremy Kyle doing the breakfast show though. Weird.
  • u bet right Smeags.

Worse pain ever.
  • edited February 2009
    I like him on Talksport as well, especially his rant at Jamie Carragher when he correctly told him he wasn't a true European Champion as he has never won the premiership. He also comes across as someone who has been following football (Aston Villa) since he was a kid.

Also like Terry Christie, he was great at winding up fans! Is he still on the there?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2009
    collymore is a good pundit, but he won't get on to mainstream tv because of everything else he is known for. He's more interesting than pretty much anyone i've seen on MOTD, sky sports etc and actually has opinions and will express them.
  • Discussion on Talksport this morning about whether David Beckham was world class. Some one phoned in to Jeremy Kyle and said that he was and by the way, he was David's real dad.
  • Like Stan and Claridge. Feel sorry for anyone with depression. He used to crack me up on 606 when he'd become absolutely ecstatic if he was watching Kidderminster under Molby. He'd bang on about them being like the Dutch Ajax teams of yore. His very capricious nature which makes him probably not a nice man is quite amusing on radio. Shame he has to work mainly on such an assinine station now.
  • Also think he's good on Talksport, he's also done some presenting on Setanta as well.
  • Oh Colly has depression
    It’s really just not fair
    So he goes out dogging
    And kicks Ulrika down the stairs

He could use that as a jingle, if he wants.
  • did he come out with the fact he had depression after he beat up Ulrika?

i remember john gregory telling him to sort his life out when he said he was depressed.
  • [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite] He's more interesting than pretty much anyone i've seen on MOTD, sky sports etc and actually has opinions and will express them.

Very true.

Shearer has to be the dullest 'pundit' of all time, just states the obvious. Hansen's just tedious.
  • I can't recall when he came out with that, but the Ulrika thing happened in 98, so I think he'd have been with Villa then. Not sure why depression leads you to knocking around attention seeking weather girls. Maybe he thought it would cheer him up a bit.
  • he was and perhaps is clearly an alchy or worse and I think she is too?
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]he was and perhaps is clearly an alchy or worse and I think she is too?

how can you be 'perhaps clearly an alchy' surely its either one or the other? perhaps an alchy or clearly an alchy?

anyway, depression is a very serious, misunderstood issue, and whilst there is no excuse for beating anyone up female or male, its a very misunderstood and the hardest to diagnose illness that there is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ulrika was afterm the depression. gregory proved he had no understadning of it.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I can't recall when he came out with that, but the Ulrika thing happened in 98, so I think he'd have been with Villa then. Not sure why depression leads you to knocking around attention seeking weather girls. Maybe he thought it would cheer him up a bit.

You seem to of the opinion, like most of the population, that depression is merely feeling a bit down. I quite agree that if that were all then as CAFC supporters we would all be justified in beating the crap out of Sian Lloyd.

Unfortunately, real proper depression is a life threatening illness, make no mistake: even the "lesser" clinical depression can be complete hell to live with and I have had experience of coping with people very close to me who are/have been clinically depressed.

Depression is a much misunderstood term, we all feel depressed every now and then but real depression can lead to an astonishing number of other symptoms including irrational violence, tourettes like outbursts, sick, vindictive dreams and waking fantasies, total shut down of the most basic life support symptoms and self harm and suicide. F**k knows what the more serious "manic" depression can do to you as I have fortunately never had to experience it and I hope I never will.

BTW the recommended "cure" is valium or prozac which works in about 1 in 25 cases, failing that you can be sectioned and given a nice electric shock to the brain which can really screw both short and long term memory and sometimes even motor functions.

Please don't treat it lightly, it is a very real and serious medical condition which as Suzie says above is barely understood.

Sorry, rant over
  • But Is going doggin a sympton?
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]But Is going doggin a sympton?

Quite frankly B only you can answer that one, how do you feel whilst you're doing the doggin'? ;))
  • no its a laugh
  • doggin not a laugh? is it ???? it sounds grim to me.
  • depression very often linked to substance/alcohol abuse and quite often a spiral.

(my earlier quote was meant to suggest he was clearly and alchy and perhaps still is)

could be wrong tho..

:)
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]But Is going doggin a sympton?

No, but apparently hanging around carparks looking through car windows is.......... ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]depression very often linked to substance/alcohol abuse and quite often a spiral.

(my earlier quote was meant to suggest he was clearly and alchy and perhaps still is)

could be wrong tho..

:)
    Depression is misunderstood by so many people. It often leads to alcohol/substance abuse rather than being the result of alcohol/substance abuse. The comments attributed to John Gregory when telling Stan to pull his socks up & that depression should affect single mothers living on council estates & not well paid professional sportsmen, are truly shocking! It is now recognised that depression is a major illness & that up to 15% of all people with severe depression will end up killing themselves. It really isn't a laughing matter.
  • What a depressing thread.

sorry