Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Inter v Milan BBC3

What was that all about last night? flicking through the channels last night, Inter v AC, was ok. have the beeb got seria A rights now as they showed highlites from other games. Seria A has been struggling for a home since CH4 stopped there coverage. Or was last night a beckham specail? for the record i though the beeb had rights to show Rangers Celtic as they did last year?

Comments

• edited February 2009
    Was anyone else's commentary about 10 seconds before the actual action? I knew the keeper had saved a shot before the player had even shot!
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Was anyone else's commentary about 10 seconds before the actual action? I knew the keeper had saved a shot before the player had even shot!

Me too. They apologised for the sound problems which is what I guessed they meant.

Inter seem to have it wrapped up again. 9 points clear of Juve now.

Do BBC have the rights. I miss the C4/5 highlight shows.
  • Had to have it on mute due the commentary.

Sky should be the only broadcaster allowed to show football.
  • Jose now has not lost a 'home' league game since he was at porto, funny how he always forgets us.. also did anyone see his pre match interview? looked like he was being pulled along sideways with the adverts moving behind him.

made me laugh:

Mournio on the move
  • they seemed to sort out the commentary delay for the second half, but why did it take so long to do? surely it's possible to just put a second or two's delay on the audio. it ruined the first half.

I think the BBC just acquired the rights for this game as a one off. It's ridiculous that there's no serie A coverage over here.
  • I'm a big fan of Serie A and to be honest last night showed what the league can be like as opposed to the usual view in this country of boring defensive based. Also yesterday Fiorentina, 3-0 down with half hour to go got a draw away at Genoa, great game. I heard that no one has picked up Serie A because the Italian TV company who has the rights was asking too much for them which would mean that it is unlikely the BBC will pay out for the rest of the season, although losing the FA cup and internationals must have freed up some cash. I think it would be a wise move even if it was just the Sunday night game which is usually the biggest match of the week. Incidentally if anyone does want to watch it some bookmakers websites show most of the games live for Serie A
  • [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]I heard that no one has picked up Serie A because the Italian TV company who has the rights was asking too much for them which would mean that it is unlikely the BBC will pay out for the rest of the season, although losing the FA cup and internationals must have freed up some cash.

I heard that there was no serious interest from any broadcaster over here in picking up the rights to serie A. Maybe because of the battering that Italian domestic football's reputation has taken in recent years.

It seems to me that the people who make decisions on terrestrial football coverage in this country know bugger all about the game.
  • I make you right there BBClaus, unless it is the Premier no broadcaster wants to bother which is a shame really because we are missing out on some fantastic games. Hopefully with the BBC having hardly any live football at all these days they will pick it up and last night's game can only help, must havee changed a few people's opinion of the Italian game
  • edited February 2009
    The terrestrial broadcasters get hit by the recession like everyone else - and if the Italian authorities are demanding huge sums of money, it's not worth it for Five to pay it when every third week you get the equivalent of Fulham v Wigan in that timeslot; especially when there's usually English football on digital TV.

That said, there could be something in Sunday night football like last night's Milan derby, but Sky have that pretty much sewn up with Spanish matches. The BBC doesn't have money worries to the extent of, say, ITV, but politically it'd find it tough to fork out anything more than a token sum for foreign football league coverage.

(Oh, and BBC Scotland's live SPL rights went to Setanta a couple of years back, although the website carries highlights.)
  • I enjoyed the match Beckham was far too quiet MAN UTD will struggle against Inter
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't think they will struggle but it will be a tight game, typical Mourinho side very organised, not that impressive on the eye but they do a job. Watched them when I was out there this season and I was not that impressed but then again bit of magic from Ibra and evans could be in for a tough night
  • Would it be too harsh to say that Beckham looked like a Galaxy player?
  • [cite]Posted By: Darren[/cite]Would it be too harsh to say that Beckham looked like a Galaxy player?

Careful now...
  • it was interesting seeing Beckham play in the milan system. He seemed to understand the system of slow, patient build up that milan were using and wasn't just bombing forward or pulling wide, but working the angles to provide an option and then playing a simple ball. What a shame he's wasted two years of his career.

I've seen very little serie A this year but it was nice to see ronaldinho in a bit of form again, as well.
  • The slower pace of Italian football suits Beckham, especially now he's older. With Milan being just about the best zonal teams in the world he can get into danger areas without having to bomb up and down like a mindless England international.