Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gambia - anyone been?

edited February 2009 in Not Sports Related
Me and the missus going next Friday for a week, just wanted a week in the sun chilling out so got a cheap deal
Anyone been there?
Also, can you get Gambian money at airport or would it be through the hotel?

Comments

• Options
    My dad went a few years back, said it was very pleasent, pretty damn hot and relativly safe, for Africa!!!
  • Options
    Yep, stayed at the Kairaba Hotel which was very good. We booked through the main tour operator for Gambia, 'Gambia Experience’. It would be worth going on to there web site they have information about Gambia in general.

We went early March and the weather was good. Hotels in the main are one star below what you might expect, so you really want to be in one of the better hotels, as you have already booked I hope it is.

The usual thing in these kinds of countries at the airport they want to transport your luggage to the bus or car outside, but they are nice people and friendly.

We ate in the restaurants outside the hotel on a few nights where we were based as many were recommended by the tour guides and run by Europeans, the food was very good. We never felt threatened although people will come up to you to ask if you want a cab or go to there bar etc.

I can't remember what we did about currency exactly but I think we took travellers cheques, which you can obviously change at hotel.

You have to have pay £5 (GBP) each at the airport entry tax.

They did have visible security at the gates of the hotels but more precautionary, as I mentioned we went out and felt ok.

http://www.gambia.co.uk

As I say they have a thumb nail 'About Gambia' and other information
  • Options
    We went a few years ago, stayed at the Sarges (?) hotel next to the Kariba. If you can't get Gambian currency before you go take a few small US bills for tips at the airport. The porters will expect a tip for each bag, even if your bus is 20 yds from the terminal.

Weather is usually good this time of year. Beaches are OK but the sea can be have some strong currents so beware if you're going to swim! You'll get the usual beach boys selling stuff but they weren't too pushy when we went, they don't tend to work beaches that are 'reserved' for some of the hotels

We took a few bits of stationary and sweets for local schools which was appreciated.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    thanks all - need some sunshine!!!!