Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wembley

edited August 2006 in General Charlton
Nearly there it seems. Looking rather impressive in most of these photos. About bloody time considering how long the whole thing has been going on for.

Wembley Pics

Comments

• i thought its been nearly there for ages.

this must of been biggest cop up in the building game for decades, yet still no one has been made accountable for it.
  • Wembley is both magnificent- (I drive past it nearly every day and it is still draws the eye everytime) and a total coc&- up. Compare it's progress with Arsenal's new stadium and see the difference private and public money makes.
  • Difference in how you right up the contracts more like.

Be interesting to see what Multiplex have to say for themselves in the update they release on Friday.

Multiplex at the end of this are accountable, they signed a fixed price contract, and they'll have to find the loses.
  • When driving down Shooters hill, you can see the wembley arch thing clearly, how amazing that you can see it from probably what is the furthest part of London from the wembley area. When its all lit up at a night game, it will be a sight to behold. It also looks like the post office tower is doin a wee!!
  • I think the difference is that Arsenal contracted competent people to build Cashburden Grove, whereas the FA went with Multiplex.

It was also stupid of the FA to insist it'd be open for this year's Cup Final for so long - I went past it on the train on Monday, it looks stunning, and within a couple of years everybody will have forgotten it took a year/18 months extra to finish.
  • It's a real sight I go past it on the train every day as Stanmore says it really draws the eye.

Ashburton is bizzare, how you can hide a 60,000 seater stadium from the skyline is beyond me! You'd have thought it would dominate but without being directed to it you couldn't see it from the the surrounding area
  • anyone know how much the two respective stadiums cost ?
  • Ashburton Grove £357 million.

Wembley- who know's- but it's still rising!
  • • The purchase of the land and early design fees cost £120 million.
    • The basic cost of building the stadium is £352 million
    • Demolishing the old stadium and fitting out the new will cost £99 million.
    • The contribution to local infrastructure improvements is £21 million.
    • Financing the project, management and other costs amount to £165 million.

Overruns on the build, will hurt Multiplex
  • Of course if multiplex liquidate the company who picks up the tab then?

There may well come a time when they decide to cut their losses the way things have gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not in Multiplexs interest to lose out on a load of potential Olympics business, and they've just returned massive profits for the last year
  • Would anyone trust them to build the Olympic venues? I wouldn't!
  • Multiplex are also building the mammoth complex just down the A40 on the south side between the west cross route and white city. Looks as if there is virtually no progress going on there as well-
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Would anyone trust them to build the Olympic venues? I wouldn't!

Built the facilities in Sydney, and did a good job on those. The contract they signed with WNSL is at the heart of the problem, they under quoted, then WNSL started playing silly buggers with the spec.
  • edited August 2006
    Stanmore - the Whitecity development's started to come along in leaps and bounds over the past few months, it's just taken an age to clear the site properly (it contains a tube depot which has had to be rebuilt, the Central Line beneath it, a disused tube station which has had to be taken away for preservation, half the remnants of the old White City Exhibition, a listed building in the middle of it and was thought to be full of unexploded WW2 bombs).

Whether Multiplex will be around to finish the job is another matter!

(Arsenal have also been able to offset some of the cost of Ashburton Grove by flogging Highbury for housing and developing some of the land around the new stadium, options not available at Wembley.)
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Stanmore - the Whitecity development's started to come along in leaps and bounds over the past few months, it's just taken an age to clear the site properly (it contains a tube depot which has had to be rebuilt, the Central Line beneath it, a disused tube station which has had to be taken away for preservation, half the remnants of the old White City Exhibition, a listed building in the middle of it and was thought to be full of unexploded WW2 bombs).

Whether Multiplex will be around to finish the job is another matter!

I worked on white city, mainly the new london underground sidings area.
    A chap at work told me only this morning that multiplex are no longer the contactor at white city.
  • Multiplex, the Australian construction group, has doubled its net profit despite booking a A$364m (£147m) loss related to its troubled Wembley Stadium project. The firm also announced it was pulling out of the delayed White City shopping centre site in west London, but it insisted it would not retreat entirely from Britain. - the graun

So they have!
  • Their profit will be largely (if not entirely) down to their aussie projects.

White city was a nightmare to work on let me tell you.
  • In terms of the site, or the management?
  • I'll certainly bow to those with better knowledge than myself- I was just pointing out that they had (or so i thought-given the Multiplex banners around the site) another project in a remarkably close location that also seemed to be taking ages. I can imagine in that part of town clearing the site must be tough.

But Ashburton Grove has come in On time-On budget because the people paying for it oversaw it mindfull of the pennies. Wembley , no matter how magnificent a stadium, will always have the association of being a real coc&- up of a project.