Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans call for Valley summit

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
http://www.gravesendreporter.co.uk/content/Charlton_Football_Club/story.aspx?brand=GVSROnline&category=CharltonFootball&tBrand=GVSROnline&tCategory=CharltonFootball&itemid=WeED11%20Feb%202009%2015%3A36%3A34%3A117

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2009
    Blimey.

Dave you speaking for all of us there?!

Not having a dig at all - it's a newspaper after all. Just reads a bit to me that "we" are all throwing our toys out of the pram and suddenly think/know that we can know run a football club, know the decisions that should be made etc. All with that great hinsight tool.

Just think the article came over a bit strong thats all.
  • Options
    Well done Dave. I am glad to have you out there fighting for us to be heard rather than any pussyfooting about.
  • Options
    There will always be differences in terms of strength of opinion - you only have to look at the two responses here so far to see that.

The main thing is that the right issues are being conveyed to the Club by the Fans' Forum. In that respect, I am comfortable that we've got that right. I don't want to get into detail regarding the various points made, but I don't think any of this is dependent on hindsight. We are trying to promote a theme of getting it right from now on and, if fans can make a contribution (not take-over the Board's responsibilities), then we want to hear that.
  • Options
    I wonder if the powers that be are now regretting not getting another Henry instead of this Forum..

:)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I wonder if the powers that be are now regretting not getting another Henry instead of this Forum..

LOL, I doubt it very much : - )

Good luck to the Forum. Good to see them communicating, via the local press, to the fans what they are trying to do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I wonder if the powers that be are now regretting not getting another Henry instead of this Forum..

Why would they? I think the fans who moaned on here about the forum should be the ones with regrets.
  • Options
    Why should they?

I was suggesting the Forum is making more waves and publicity than the Fans Director ever did.
  • Options
    I think in the long run the forum idea will be successful as you will get a complete mixture of opinions, rather than one persons view. I dont think what was reported was a great deal different to what was asked for in the statement of intent?
  • Options
    Good point Razil and Tel.

A compliment to whoever devised the idea of a Fans Forum to replace the supporters director.
  • Options
    I just think its ironic, I prefer the fans director model myself (though of course not necessarily the previous incumbent)...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Why should they?

I was suggesting the Forum is making more waves and publicity than the Fans Director ever did.

oh behave. i havent seen the fans forum get into a public spat with the local council yet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]I think in the long run the forum idea will be successful as you will get a complete mixture of opinions, rather than one persons view.

As long as it doesn't end up getting driven by just one persons view, i agree 100%.
  • Options
    True, but then again Im sure they wouldnt want to interview all 8 ( Yes there are in fact eight) of us....
  • Options
  • Options
    Well done David, i totally agree that the board are taking the fans for granted and come what May when the renewal forms start coming through letter boxes alot could well be filed under BIN. Especially in this current climate fans have not the free cash to just renew season tickets, fans will also pick and choose there games next season, as well as some may choose to go to more away games than home fixtures, that is something i am looking to do, as there are a few grounds that i would like to tick off the list as well as there are some localish games such as Brighton, Swindon and Peterborough in which i should imagian would see a better atmosphere rather than one at the Valley.
  • Options
    Well done to all.

Now we wait to see what is said on 26 Feb.

ps Jonjo is 17 on 27 Feb I believe maybe his future (to sign or not to sign) could be a supplementary.
  • Options
    It's an odd situation where we all know the birthday of one of our players. ;0)

Well done Dave. It sounds like the forum really want to get things done and will do everything they can to be listened to, even if it does 'make a few waves'.
  • Options
    one person is easy to control, sorry I mean bring into the fold..but 8 or 9 peeps.... 2 public relations disasters in my view (getting rid, then getting this) he he I could be wrong of course. Should be a 'fun' few years.
  • Options
    This is an excellent start. I recognise that the Forum is flexing it's muscles and that maybe that makes some a little uncomfortable but I'd rather fans engage in a robust way than toady with the line of least resistance, provided what is presented represents a cross section of views and is presented in a rational and repectful way (which I judge it has). I think this demonstrates the greatness of our club, it's board, employees and fans together. That we can, through the FF, have a mature dialogue about these issues is fantastic. Rather this than so called fans ripping seats out and literally fighting amongst themselves like what has been going on at St Marys.

Well done guys keep us posted with developments.
  • Options
    Personally I am little uncomfortable with the Fans Forum concept.

Fair play to the Board for putting it in place and to all those who will put in hours to support it but it worries me a little.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Personally I am little uncomfortable with the Fans Forum concept.

Fair play to the Board for putting it in place and to all those who will put in hours to support it but it worries me a little.

Be interested to know Why?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Personally I am little uncomfortable with the Fans Forum concept.

Because history suggests people have their own agenda.

I have no problem with a fans representative, forum even but us 27 years olds arent represented. Even Sasha is past his best.

I read the Gravesend Reporter with interest, but there lies the crux of my continuing gripe ... THE GRAVESEND REPORTER !!!!!!!!!!! What about the Charlton Gleaner?
  • Options
    I think you'll find that Gary Davenport is even younger than you....
    :-)
  • Options
    I might be 4 years older then you, but I ain't past it quite yet!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

Because history suggests people have their own agenda.

I have no problem with a fans representative, forum even but us 27 years olds arent represented. Even Sasha is past his best.

I read the Gravesend Reporter with interest, but there lies the crux of my continuing gripe ... THE GRAVESEND REPORTER !!!!!!!!!!! What about the Charlton Gleaner?

So, let me get this clear ............ you feel that your specific 27-year old views are not being represented by the Fans' Forum. OK, let's hear them.

Do you disagree with the general themes of our recent communication to the Board asking for a 'Statement of Intent' from the Club? Not the style, not the language, not the strength of opinion ....... but the general themes? If so, let's hear it and let's see if your fellow fans agree. So far the evidence suggests that we've got the issues assessed pretty well, but the Fans' Forum is always ready to review its general position to reflect the views of the majority. Not the views of every individual, whether they be 27 or 72, but the majority.

You might also like to enlighten me as to why the notion of a 'hidden agenda' is more likely to be an issue with a forum of nine members rather than a single fans' representative.
  • Options
    Not quite yet ...

But why the Gravesend Reporter .... ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Not quite yet ...

But why the Gravesend Reporter .... ?

If you are refering to the recent article, that was based on an interview with the Bexley Times. I suspect that the Gravesend Reporter is part of the same journalistic empire.

We'd be happy to speak to the Charlton Gleaner. Is there such a rag?
  • Options
    The Bexley Times need to gt their act in gear then. We aint a flipping Gravesend team, or even a Bexley on at that.

I have reread this and again for the life of me dont know what to say. Thetre have been a few mistakes made Dowie for one, but I think most of us have been in jobs where we see people in higher positions and think "How the flip did they get that job!!! ALL SMOKE AND MIRRORS..."

The Prodlem with Pardew was that most of the crowd at Wycombe were calling for Lucky Les to be sacked and Pardew to be appointed. They got their wish. Pardew then went on to prove what an arse he is. Thats my view and I'll gladly tell him that and point out why I think it to be true. (The silver teapot will be brought up.)

We now find ourselves ready for a battle in Div 3 next season. And some fans will leave, but they can bugger off if thats their general attitude ...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]The Bexley Times need to gt their act in gear then. We aint a flipping Gravesend team, or even a Bexley on at that.

I have reread this and again for the life of me dont know what to say. Thetre have been a few mistakes made Dowie for one, but I think most of us have been in jobs where we see people in higher positions and think "How the flip did they get that job!!! ALL SMOKE AND MIRRORS..."

The Prodlem with Pardew was that most of the crowd at Wycombe were calling for Lucky Les to be sacked and Pardew to be appointed. They got their wish. Pardew then went on to prove what an arse he is. Thats my view and I'll gladly tell him that and point out why I think it to be true. (The silver teapot will be brought up.)

We now find ourselves ready for a battle in Div 3 next season. And some fans will leave, but they can bugger off if thats their general attitude ...

So, it looks like we have your views covered then. Thanks.

Might be worth bearing in mind that the Bexley Times/Gravesend Reporter distribution list does cover an area where a lot of Charlton supporters live. Not sure that we really want to use the local press to try to cover absolutely every area where fans come from. Maybe Internet sites are a better way ..... which is why we are doing that already.

Oh ....... if you have contacts at the Charlton Gleaner, please let them know that we are happy to hear from them.
  • Options
    Ha ha ... you are a funny guy ...

Hope you enjoy your spot in the limelight ...