Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ingrown toenails

F***ing things. Used to get them all the time when I was a kid (hockey skates and football boots kill your feet) but haven't had one for donkeys years and thought I'd grown out of them. Got one now and it is the most painful f***ing thing imaginable - boiling hot, throbbing and feels like there are needles in my toe (and at this rate there f***ing well will be later on - if it stays this painful I'm going to have to perform some impromptu surgery on the bastard)

Anybody who suffers from them got any ideas about relieving the pain (besides the stupid old chestnut about cutting a 'V' into your toenail - that never worked when I was a kid, and wouldnt be much use now as its already ingrown.)

Bunch of arse.

Comments

• Options
    Just thank the feck you ain't got gout.

:-)
  • Options
    It's painfull (though bearable), but I perform surgery on mine myself - the wait for the Dr to do it is ridiculous.
    Once you've done it a couple of times it's easy & you know when to catch it before it grows too much.
  • Options
    My sympathies Leroy, i know what its like and mine was terrible. My GP is able to do minor surgery and he sorted mine although the injection in my toe was really painful. Best thing is to get it sorted asap by a doc as i left mine too long and had to have antibiotics before surgery as it was infected (due to my home surgery attempts)!
  • Options
    I got one myself right now, performed surgery myself in the shower this morning, got blood everywhere and have been moaning and limping about it all day - The missus used to be sympathetic but since she had a kidney stone she just laughs at me writhing in pain.
  • Options
    'kinell! What with the gout thread is this turning into Charlton Ailments?! :-)
    Go barefoot in the house, soak your feet at least once every 2 days in either warm salty water or warm water + antibacterial washing up liquid. Use a TCP spray under the nail cos TCP numbs a bit. Cut the nail square across (you're right cutting a V doesn't seem to do much). If you're like me & have toenails like sheephorns get some of those nail cutters that look like small wirecutters, from Superdrug, etc.
    & for feck's sake don't stub your toe in the near future!
  • Options
    Ive got one as well. broke my big toeplaying football and the one underneath grew all bad...

not nice...
  • Options
    Isn't an ingrown toe nail just when they grow a bit long or break off into skin when you don't cut them or do so incorrectly? If not...Ouch! If so, serves you right you dirty dirty boys!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]Isn't an ingrown toe nail just when they grow a bit long or break off into skin when you don't cut them or do so incorrectly? If not...Ouch! If so, serves you right you dirty dirty boys!!

look up ingrowing toenails on the net and squirm polo........

not good
  • Options
    Had one big toenail removed years ago, they stuck an acid on it to stop it growing again, on the other foot had the sides completely removed from the other big toe to stop them growing outwards, very painful.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Had one big toenail removed years ago, they stuck an acid on it to stop it growing again, on the other foot had the sides completely removed from the other big toe to stop them growing outwards, very painful.

Snap, other than the acid!! They didn't bother with that, much rather I get them again at somepoint and have to have surgery again, but yeah effin painful and pesistant little bastards, went on for months of them trying to cut it down, then weeks of anitbiotics as gets infected, by which time its happened again, took my doctor months before he finally gave up tryin and just took the whole nail out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    had surgery on mine years ago. Had the complete nail and root removed on each big toe. Never grown back. The skin has now grown over where the nail was so they now look very odd. Makes my wife ill to look at them !!
  • Options
    Same as DA9, had the sides removed on both big toes when I was a kid. Still get the occasional nail into the skin but just deal with it myself
  • Options
    I had mine treated too, looks 100% as it did before but no pain.

Got it done in Sidcup http://www.sidcupchiro.co.uk by Richard, nice guy too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Same as DA9, had the sides removed on both big toes when I was a kid. Still get the occasional nail into the skin but just deal with it myself
    It's the way forward!
  • Options
    Darwin would tell us that ingrowing toenails seem to confer some advantage to Charlton fans.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]Isn't an ingrown toe nail just when they grow a bit long or break off into skin when you don't cut them or do so incorrectly? If not...Ouch! If so, serves you right you dirty dirty boys!!

look up ingrowing toenails on the net and squirm polo........

not good

Ooowwwww....Squirming!!
  • Options
    Worst football injury I ever had because of what it did to my performances. I had to have the side of my nail cut away like DA9 says to stop it growing there anymore. But since that happened I lost all the pace I used to have, seems really strange but I used to be a nippy so and so and now and to quote AFKA "I run like i'm stuck in the mud"!
  • Options
    Thia really does seem to be a common problem on here - I suggest that we set up a support group and seek Government funding.

I was also doing some DIY surgery on Tuesday night - those living in Bexleyheath may have heard the screams.
  • Options
    Had one about 9 years ago, hurt like fu*k. Went to the Docs who said he would send me to the hospital to have it cut out, however I would have to wait up to 2 months. So got it done on BUPA within the week at a cost of £1800 in Blackheath. Money well spent, well it wasn't mine.
  • Options
    Have always sorted these out myself, thats why swiss army knifes are great. A little spilt blood never hurt anyone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WereByFarTheGreatest[/cite]Have always sorted these out myself, thats why swiss army knifes are great. A little spilt blood never hurt anyone
    You know what I use? A compass and a pair of nail clippers. Compass down the side of the fecker to burst it and relieve the pressure, Nail clippers to cut the bastard out afterwards. Works a treat. Mine's so painful today I considered having a sick day - and I haven't had a sick day in four years.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Can't say i've ever experinced them.Sounds painful.Have you tried wrapping the offending toe in vinegar soaked cotton wool and wearing sandals to work for a week?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Thia really does seem to be a common problem on here - I suggest that we set up a support group and seek Government funding.

I was also doing some DIY surgery on Tuesday night - those living in Bexleyheath may have heard the screams.

A sort of: Dear AFKA or Maybe:
    Dear Dr Henry
    I have this annoying little itch, what do you suggest.
    Dr H,
    Just twat the Palarse, to55er. ;-)