Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New York

edited February 2009 in Not Sports Related
I'm going there on a short break on Saturday with wife and kids, part of her ongoing 40th celeb.
Never been there before but have to US a number of times. Never fancied it. Any tips on what not to miss out on?

Comments

• If you want to go up one of the buildings go for the Rockefella rather than Empire State
  • Yeah, whatever you do don't miss out on Charlton v Plymouth ;¬)
  • Central Park is brilliant whatever the weather although steer clear of the pony and trap rides - they are very expensive.

The shops around Times Square are good fun and have some great bargains.

Get the Staten Island ferry rather than the tourist ferry to see the Statue of Liberty and get off at Ellis Island which is where they processed all the post-war immigrants from Europe, absolutely fascinating although maybe not great for the kids.
  • ground zero is worth a visit ....very sobering...
  • Agreed ct, me and a friend walked around the whole site, not sure if we said more than 5 words to each other, amazing the sheer size of the damage that was inflicted
  • Central Park is great at a weekend (not sure how cold it is there at the moment)

If the rivers arent frozen up the cruise around the southern half of Manhattan is pretty good (but I wouldnt bother with the northern half). Not sure its necessary to go to Liberty Island for the Statue as you get better views elsewhere. But Ellis Island is worth a trip if you are interested in history.

Greenwich Village is quite an eye opener.

I felt quite safe on the Metro but actually found the buses quite good as obviously you get to see more and you can buy a good value ticket for a few days.

Have a good trip.
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]ground zero is worth a visit ....very sobering...

I used to work for Cantors and Eurobrokers and knew a number of people who lost their lives on 9/11. I will not miss out on a visit there.

The Chairman of Maxcor (Eurobrokers) was sitting no more than 10 feet away from me when it all happened, he just coinciedently was on a trip to London. The frantic phone calls he and his deputy made then will live with me forever.

Without wanting to be too morbid I do want to visit the Dakota Building, John Lennon's death was my JFK, like Lady Di's was to todays youngsters..

What I am really looking forward too is slipping into some backstreet bar when the others are all asleep. If these places still exist.
  • DA9DA9
    edited February 2009
    Macys & the McDonalds in Times Square, just so you can say the next time you see it in a film, "I've been in there".

Madison Square Garden, because of the musical history of who has played there (Elvis in June 72, which I know you will appreciate Chirpy), and for some sports gear, baseball caps, t-shirts etc.
  • [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]If you want to go up one of the buildings go for the Rockefella rather than Empire State

Yep - Far better view of Downtown NY with the Empire State Building "lording" it over the rest of Manhattan. If it's not too cold, go at night. Oh and look up when you get in the lift.

I'd also say pop in to Toys'r'us in Times Square. Just for the T-Rex!
  • Get down to Canal Street and stock up on Rolex watches for $12 each. Things really are so much cheaper in the US of A. LOL.
  • Sponsored links:

• You'll love it Chirpy.

I dunno if you're in to your American TV etc - but a tour around all the sets and everything is really good, combine it with a look into Radio City Music Hall. Magnificent building.

I'd do Rockafella over Empire State if I were to pick between the two. I love the place.
  • Would agree go to Ellis Island, not Statue of Liberty. The best things we did were free (or nearly)

Boat to Staten Island - we did not get off just took photos of Statue of Liberty - this is free
    We took the tourist bus tour to Brooklyn, got off at the far side of the Brooklyn Bridge, went to a great diner at the far end and walked back to Manhattan - a must do.

So Jealous - I Love NYC have a great weekend
  • I DJ'd a 30th birthday party last weekend for a young lady. Her husband had pre-arranged during the evening for me to give her three gifts in front of everybody. The first one was a model airplane, the second, her passport and the third a rosy red apple. So obviously she had to guess what the present from her husband was. Didn't need to be a genius to work out that she was going to New York (a christmas shopping trip actually). The girl then burst in to tears, not because it was such a wonderful present, no, she can't stand flying!

The old man really thought that one out didn't he!
  • [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]Would agree go to Ellis Island, not Statue of Liberty. The best things we did were free (or nearly)

Boat to Staten Island - we did not get off just took photos of Statue of Liberty - this is free
    We took the tourist bus tour to Brooklyn, got off at the far side of the Brooklyn Bridge, went to a great diner at the far end and walked back to Manhattan - a must do.

So Jealous - I Love NYC have a great weekend

Go on the right hand side of ferry from Manhattan, and left hand side for journey back for the views of Statue of Liberty.
    Can recommend Smith and Wollensky for a nice steak restaurant - not sure of address right now.
    IPOD's are cheap at the Apple store by Central Park.
  • Meatpacking district for some trendy bars/restaurants .

There's still a few backstreet bars where you can sit at the bar watching crap sports all day long chirps
  • And if you like your Levi 501's, got 2 x pairs brought back from the in laws for £50 just before xmas (from Florida admittedly, but they are dirt cheap out there) and classic Reeboks £15 a pair.
  • Central Park is a definite must visit. Could spend all day in there. The zoo there is also worth looking at.

Tiffanys on Fifth Avenue.

As others have said, Staten Island ferry - dont need to bother going to Liberty Island.

Depending on how old the kids are, there's the toy shop that I can't remember the name of. F Swartz or something... has the piano from Big in there and the staff come out and play it at various points during the day.

We found the open top bus tour to be a good way of getting around for a day. The guides were pretty knowledgeable.

Opposite Ground Zero is Century 21 - pretty good for clothes.
  • Century 21 was a bit of a jumble sale when I was there , Bloomingdales will see you right for some clobber
  • I did the Circle line years back - took about 3 hours i reckon. it got a bit tedious in parts but at least you go round the whole of manhattan.

plenty of back street bars, just take a fer different turnings and god knows where you'll end up.

I stayed in the Peninusla (55th and 5th) back in the early 90s and had a few drinks on the rooftop bar up there - i thought that was the amazing thing ever. I was young then but very special. am sure they have heaters out there. not sure about taking the kids tho.
  • I stayed in the Sheraton City Squire, right on Times Square, a few year back now, 90/91. ex girlfriend worked for a city corporate travel agent at the time and we got a long weekend, with flights and accomodation for £250 for both of us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gee thanks everyone. Some good ideas there.
  • Try Ruby Tuesdays just off Time Sq ,lovely steaks. Also try circle cruises at peir 42 for a trip down the hudson and up the east river.
  • Whatever you decide to do It's up to you, Chirpy, Chirpy.
  • All a bit nervous in the Chirpy house today. We are flying Continental to Newark.

Lightening doesn't strike twice does it?

Mrs Chirps looks different today.....
  • Hehehe. I went last November, can endorse the "don't go to the Statue of Liberty, go straight to Ellis Island" advice (which came from New York Addick, incidentally).

If you go up the Empire State Building, if you buy a ticket for the not-very-busy New York Skyride (which the kids will enjoy), you can skip the queues for the ESB.

Otherwise, it's just a great city to wander around - don't forget to look up.
  • Battery City Park was also a nice place to walk through. Has a monument there to 9/11. It's not far from the Staten Island ferry terminal...
  • I echo the comments above but a few thoughts (you should have nice weather by the way - sunny and not too cold, at least by NYC winter standards).

- if you are at Ground Zero you may want to hop on a PATH train from World Trade Center to Hoboken (5-10mins) - walk a few blocks north along the Hudson and the view back across to Manhattan is spectacular;
    - you can walk through several interesting areas comfortably in a morning or afternoon because they are so close together: Soho (not mentioned above, but a great area), Little Italy (tacky but strangely appealing), Chinatown (mad) and the West Village (the nicest corner of the city);
    - the big museums are great but can be crowded at weekends (eg. Met Museum of Art, MoMA, Natural History Museum, Guggenheim etc..);
    - if you are in Central Park, the picture perfect photo spots are in my view on the main West drive around 76th Street (looking across the boating lake to the city - you will also be very close to the John Lennon memorial too), and on the north side of the Resevoir around 96th Street (looking across the resevoir to the city) - the kids might like to try ice skating too (great views from the Wollman Rink although there's a lesser-known and less crowded rink in the park on the East side around 106th Street);
    - if you are in Central Park, you may want to take a detour and stroll around the Upper East Side to see how the 'old money' residents live (the blocks between Fifth Avenue and Park Avenue are best, especially from 66th-94th Streets);
    - Times Square is fun (especially for the kids at night) but wouldn't spend too much time there as it's full of tourist traps and overpriced restaurants;
    - the best shopping areas are probably either Soho or Fifth/Madison Avenues (from 42nd to 59th Streets);
    - worth seeing Grand Central station - a throwback to when train travel was romantic (and it has a great food court in the basement);
    - most restaurants are good quality and good value - would avoid the diners around Times Square as they are 2-3x more expensive than the places where 'locals' would go (although Carnegie Deli is fun);
    - taxis are cheap and plentiful, and probably the best way to make short trips as the subway charges a fixed rate regardless of how far you travel;
    - wouldn't bother going to South Street Seaport - a bit of a tourist trap, although it has great views of the Brooklyn Bridge - speaking of which, if you walk across the bridge, you can stroll around the nice Brooklyn Heights neighbourhood and especially the 'promenade' that looks back at Manhattan.

Have fun - as Inspector Sands says above, it's just a great city to wander around. I'd offer to buy you a beer but my parents are also in town so will be tricky.
  • Try Virgils (Best ribs ever and try their fries with jelepinos with melted cheese Mmmm) just before you hit Times square coming from central park direction!!
  • How could I forget Grand Central station! An amazing place... just seems to have corridors and people coming from all directions!
  • Wished this site was around when I went round the world.