Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

GOUT

edited February 2009 in Not Sports Related
Anyone had it.

Been struck down with this god damned condition. Left toe is so painful i feel like cutting it off the pain would be less.

Anyone got any old wives tales cures - I am open to trying anything - :-))

got tablets - cut out alcohol - eating all the right stuff - drinking water like a fish - are some of the preventions that I am doing.

I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone even Medders or Shag :-)

Comments

• Drink plenty of red wine and eat lots of rich cheeses should help a treat mate
  • He's a good player at this level, but a months loan is just worthless.
  • yeah cheers for that shag.
  • used to be the 'richmans diease' but getting really common now, was speaking to my missus friend who is a parimedic and she said she had a 15 year old girl in hospital with it a few weeks back, she does work in gillingham tho....
  • Swimming.

Non-weight bearing exercise plus a sauna but check with the Doc first.

Hope I die before I get old : -)

[cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]He's a good player at this level, but a months loan is just worthless.

LOL
  • Ice packs and elevating the leg can help to reduce the acute pain until the long term changes kick in. (oops - sorry) Some folk take Gingko tablets to increase blood flow to the affected joints.
  • If you're on any other medication check their side effects - some can cause gout.
  • I've had mate and it is horrible. Forget Old Wives tales. Naproxen will ease it but once it is gone get on Allipurinal. I've never had it since I've taken them.
    Some people say they don't like to be dependant on drugs but then they've probably never had Gout!
    Prevention better than the cure.
  • Keep doing what you're doing.

It's caused by an excess of uric acid in the blood causing crystal to form in the joints, usually in the big toe. Get your GP to prescribe some mega pain killers and keep off the booze for a while.

Had this 15 years ago but have managed the problem since.
  • Get on with it Arf, you big girls blouse
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2009
  • feel for you ledge.
    the only time i've felt pain like it was when i did my cruciate, (and i've broken 4 wrists amongst other bones).
    i went to a&e as i was convinced i'd broken my toe even though couldn't think of anything that i'd done to break it.

in my experience of gout, do not have a warm soak in the bath. this seemed to just worsen the pain.
    drink plenty of water, keep popping the anti-inflammitories, but the best advice i took was keeping my foot elevated.
    i couldn't sleep whilst having gout as just 1 cotton sheet on my toe felt like a tank driving over my foot, then i placed a couple of pillows at the bottom of my bed and things started to get better.
  • You have four wrists?
    ;oP
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]feel for you ledge.
    the only time i've felt pain like it was when i did my cruciate, (and i've broken 4 wrists amongst other bones).
    i went to a&e as i was convinced i'd broken my toe even though couldn't think of anything that i'd done to break it.

in my experience of gout, do not have a warm soak in the bath. this seemed to just worsen the pain.
    drink plenty of water, keep popping the anti-inflammitories, but the best advice i took was keeping my foot elevated.
    i couldn't sleep whilst having gout as just 1 cotton sheet on my toe felt like a tank driving over my foot, then i placed a couple of pillows at the bottom of my bed and things started to get better.

Warm bath probably not a good idea for any issue like this... something cold could help if it's inflamed?
  • Yes Gout one of the wort pains you can have, with my first attack it felt like some one had just bashed my foot in with a sledge hammer then made me walk 10 miles on it. The only immediate treatment is the anti inflamatories my doc prescribed indomethacine which worked wonders. Since then only had minor attacks of Gout ,I think because I have gone for a low cholesterol diet and I am of course on statins. Also cherry juice is supposed to be good for stopping Gout but the recommend intake is a litre a day which I found impossible, but I still eat a lot more cherries than before the Gout.
    Do not use warm baths or ice packe when in the midst of an attack they can make it worse, but yes keep the leg elevated including when in bed.
    Lets hope it is your only attack ledge.
  • I am not sure if it is Arthritis or Gout I suffer with but I get attacks once or twice a year and it is the most unbelievable pain I have experiences

I broke my Fibula when I was 17 and that's where I get the pain. First time I thought I had broken it again it was that painful.
    Sometimes makes my hand swell up and I look like I have a baloon hand

Glucosamine sulphate seems to help - but I sispect I need to shed a few stones of weight to really ease things
  • I'm a sufferer too.

It sounds like you are doing the right things ie drinking plenty of water and cutting back on wine and beer the other thing I'd mention is don't put extra salt on your food. Mind you I still got it even doing all those. My wife then noticed that I ate a lot of marmite on toast and sometimes had it as a hot drink. I "gave up" marmite completely about 3 months ago and (touchwood) have been ok since.

If (like me) you are a fat git shedding a few pounds won't go amiss either.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I am not sure if it is Arthritis or Gout I suffer with but I get attacks once or twice a year and it is the most unbelievable pain I have experiences

I broke my Fibula when I was 17 and that's where I get the pain. First time I thought I had broken it again it was that painful.
    Sometimes makes my hand swell up and I look like I have a baloon hand

Glucosamine sulphate seems to help - but I sispect I need to shed a few stones of weight to really ease things

Gout is a form of arthritis.
  • edited February 2009
    Well whatever you want to call it - if fu£~ing hurts like a bastard
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite] get on Allipurinal. I've never had it since I've taken them.

I got some of them.
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I'm a sufferer too.

If (like me) you are a fat git shedding a few pounds won't go amiss either.

I've recently lost over a stone and still on the diet. Got to go back to my docs next week he said we'll "have a chat" so I imagine he's gonna give me some of that sort of advice.

[cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Get on with it Arf, you big girls blouse

lol u sod - seriously I hope you never get it - worst pain I've ever had.

Thanks all
  • Sponsored links:

• Speaking with my medical background, it's not exactly true to say that gout is a form of arthritis (apologies, Len). More exactly, the build up of uric acid (gout) generally result in inflammation to the affected joint and it is that which we generally describe as 'arthritis'. So, arthritis is more exactly a symptom of gout. This is then described as 'gouty arthritis'.

Allopurinol is a good treatment, but it is not an anti-inflammatory. So, you have to take the allopurinol tablets more to prevent the uric acid build up, and something else for the inflammation (ie general pain-killers, naproxen etc).

Diet seems important in this condition, with high protein foods to be avoided (meat, seafoods etc). Dairy products seem to help but, as always with these things, every individual is different. You have to find what works for you.

Anyway, Dr Dave's surgery closes now.

That will be 20 guineas.
  • Plus, may I add that people tend to exclude beer from their list when told to avoid alcohol. Sometimes they think that alcohol really only means spirits or half a bottle of wine. Beer though is top of the list in gout offending alcohols.
  • Wimps, the lot of you ... you should try giving birth!
  • i hear ciders allright tho?
  • Most of the above seemed to help. My attacks seemed to follow me giving up fizzy drinks to loose weight and not replacing my fluid intake with an alternative. I now drink plenty of water. Switching from beer to cider may or may have helped long term.
  • I knew someone with gout who swore by black cherries (fresh, tinned or proper juice). Something in them breaks down the crystals of uric acid if I remember rightly.
  • Bing cherries in dried form are available in Tesco and these are reputedly the best of the cherries. There does seem to be some scientific evidence to support this idea, but as the cherries won't hurt you anyway, it's worth a go. I eat them anyway cos I love them in yoghourt.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red Riding Hoodie[/cite]Wimps, the lot of you ... you should try giving birth!

If it was that bad, women wouldnt have a 2nd one.

I will start running now......
  • Only real men get gout --- fact !

no communist has ever had it as they dont have real blood in their veins---- fact !

Cranberry juice helps get rid of it for me. Drink loads of water as well-- or from a well ---- well its from one-- well hope thats clear .
  • I suddenly got gout 6 years ago and only got rid of it by not eating red meat for a month. Fell off the wagon with a big steak in Smith and Wollensky's in Vegas and was in agony for a day or 2 but then slowly reintroduced red meat into my diet and was fine. Never gave up alcohol.